Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Match of the Year 2019

Djokovic/Federer was certainly the more important match, and it was probably the highest quality match too.

It was also the 48th match they've played against each other. That makes me give the edge to something fresh when picking a favorite. The US Open final was also just sort of bizarre in a fun way. Nadal now has more US Open titles than Djokovic!? And who the hell is this gangly junkballer who's randomly giving him a run for his money, getting the entire stadium to hate him, then getting the entire stadium to love him? It was a wild ride. (If Federer had converted one of his match points, I'd probably flip it.)

I'm predicting now that we'll have some new WTA contenders from the YEC. 6 matches have been played so far. 5 were grueling 3 setters, and the only straight sets match had a 14-12 tiebreaker in it. They also doubled the prize money from last year, so I think we'll keep seeing slugfests.

Anyone been following tennis.com’s Best Matches of the Decade? It’s been fun to relive some of this stuff, but including Isner-Mahut kind of raises an eyebrow. That match was kind of unwatchable.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Anyone been following tennis.com’s Best Matches of the Decade? It’s been fun to relive some of this stuff, but including Isner-Mahut kind of raises an eyebrow. That match was kind of unwatchable.
    I hadn't seen them! Thanks for pointing out the list.

Here's where they are so far

6. Halep d Kerber, 2018 AO semis
    7. Azarenka d Kerber, 2012 YEC RR
    8. Schiavone d Kuznetsova, AO 4th round
    9. Osaka d Kvitova, 2019 AO final
    10. Kvitova d Kerber, 2014 Fed Cup final
    6. Isner d Mahut, 2010 Wimbledon 1st round
    7. Djokovic d Nadal, 2018 Wimbledon semis
    8. Del Potro d Cilic, 2016 Davis Cup final
    9. Nadal d Djokovic, 2013 FO semis
    10. Federer d Kyrgios, 2017 Miami semis
    I agree that Isner/Mahut sticks out, but I don't see how they had a choice. For lists like this, instead of 'highest quality', best can usually mean memorable or emotional instead. I also think they probably had to limit the number of appearances of the Big 4. "Come on you guys, all 20 male spots are Big 4 members. We've got to keep it below 12ish."

I think it's interesting that 3/5 of the WTA listed have Kerber as the loser, and 3/5 are at the AO.

Any guesses for which matches will be in the top 5? We haven't seen Serena, Murray, or Wawrinka yet. They're all guaranteed.

Will there be any match listed that doesn't go to the final set?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Any guesses for which matches will be in the top 5? We haven't seen Serena, Murray, or Wawrinka yet. They're all guaranteed.
    Venus - losing to Kvitova in the 2014 Wimbledon semi.

I think Nadal/Medvedev at the US Open could be included. Transfixing match. I know you agree!

Delpo/Thiem 2017 US Open should make the cut.

Agree that Isner/Mahut had to be included. It transcended tennis. The lists are also meant to spark debate. And yes, the variety of players is important.

Will there be any match listed that doesn't go to the final set?
    Well, there could be a four-set men's match, but I don't think any will be straight sets.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 12-02-2019 at 07:03 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

There should definitely be a Djokovic-Wawrinka match in there somewhere.
    My Happy Place

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by atlpam View Post
    Yep, the US Open final, Stans level was just something else. That performance deserves an award on its own

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Yep, the US Open final, Stans level was just something else. That performance deserves an award on its own
    That would be a four-setter, answering Charlie's question about whether all entries would be final-setters. I just watched some highlights. Some great shotmaking but kind of one-dimensional, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    I would think that if a Djokovic-Wawrinka match was to be included - and arguably there should be a few of them - I would think it would come down to one of the two Australian Open matches from 2013 & 2014.

Stan definitely has to be in there. I think it'll be the 9-7 in the fifth AO QF.

Sharapova has to be in there. I think it'll be the FO Final over Halep. (All of Halep's slam RUs are contenders.)

Serena has to be in there twice. Maybe a win and a loss. The loss might be Kerber at the AO. Not sure about the win.

I think Clijsters d Li will be there. Both are beloved, and that was the match where everyone realized Li is hilarious.

This year's Djokovic d Federer will probably be there.

I think Nadal d Medvedev should be on the list, but if it didn't make 6-10, I think it's relegated to honorable mentions.

The 5s are listed!

It's the Sharapova d Halep FO final, and the Nadal d Thiem USO QF. Really didn't see the Nadal/Thiem match coming, but it makes sense.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

The 5s are listed!

It's the Sharapova d Halep FO final, and the Nadal d Thiem USO QF. Really didn't see the Nadal/Thiem match coming, but it makes sense.
    Definitely, I was on the edge of my seat for both of those matches, but I donít often think of that Thiem match-maybe because I donít think of Thiem that much full stop

The 4s are out.

Federer d Nadal 2017 AO Final. Makes perfect sense.

Ostapenko d Halep 2017 FO Final. Told ya all the Halep RUs were contenders!

The 4s are out.

Federer d Nadal 2017 AO Final. Makes perfect sense.

Ostapenko d Halep 2017 FO Final. Told ya all the Halep RUs were contenders!
    Ugh, I wouldn't have chosen Ostapenko's win as a match of the decade. It was a cheap-thrill match - she went for broke and landed for a while. Exhilarating for a little bit but ultimately lacking in substance.

3s are out.

Djokovic d Wawrinka, AO 2013 4th round. This is the 12-10 in the fifth match. I prefer their 2014 AO clash that Wawrinka won 9-7 in the fifth. I think it was more epic to have Stan win and go on to the title. I also think this match was more up-and-down.

Kvitova d Venus, Wimbledon 2014 3rd round. I figured Venus should make the list somewhere, and this is certainly a good choice. (Although, if you're going for an early round Wimbledon epic, give me Venus d Date Krumm in 2011.)

Apparently there's some controversy about "Match of the Decade" for the ATP

Matthew Willis
    @MattRacquet
    Whoever picked this match as No.1 (of the *decade*) was surely high

Don’t think this was even the best match of the *year*, let alone decade...

Of the year? Or decade? Wawrinka Tsitsipas best match of 2019 for me

For me, (decade) would be between AO 2012 final (Rafole), 2011 Roland Garros Semi Final (Fedkovic), 2013 Roland Garros Semi (Rafole), AO 2013 Djoko Wawrinka. AO 2012 Semi Djokovic Murray. 2018 Wimbledon semi (Rafole)
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.Ē

― Frank Zappa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast