Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Tournament: Tokyo 2020 - Olympic Tennis event
    Dates: 25 July - 2 August
    Venue: Ariake Tennis Park, 12 match courts
    Surface: DecoTurf*
    Draw Ceremony: 23 July at 11 am
    Entry Ranking Date: 8 June
    Entry Deadline: 11 June (singles), 18 June (doubles)


    Format: best of 3 tie-break sets (singles), best of 3 tie-break sets/match tie-break 3rd set (doubles & mixed doubles)

    * Outdoor, but Centre Court has a retractable roof.

    Each singles event consists of 64 players - 56 will qualify as direct acceptances based on ranking (8 June) + 8 will be allocated according to ITF criteria (continental qualification - 6, Olympic Gold Medalist/Grand Slam Champion - 1, host nation place - 1).

    h/t to @MichalSamulski
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.




  2. #2

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Is it posted this early so we have a place to talk about who will qualify?

  3. #3

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Yes. There is a lot of talk about how player's scheduling for next year can effect who will play. For example, The Rogers Cup starts August 3.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.




  4. #4

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Yes. There is a lot of talk about how player's scheduling for next year can effect who will play. For example, The Rogers Cup starts August 3.
    Rogers Cup next year starts Aug 7 - there's a week, or at least 4 days, between the end of the Olympics and the start of the Rogers Cup.
    Last edited by skatingfan; 12-07-2019 at 07:02 AM.

  5. #5

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    I'd love to attend these Olympics, given that they're likely to be the Big 3's last, but the ticket situation seems complicated. Looks like as a UK resident I can only use a local travel agency, which is selling £8,000 full travel packages and includes admission for the last 4 days (and nosebleeds, at that). Since that's all rather ridiculous, does anyone know if individual tickets will go on sale at all (and where one might find them)?

  6. #6

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by yoort View Post
    I'd love to attend these Olympics, given that they're likely to be the Big 3's last, but the ticket situation seems complicated. Looks like as a UK resident I can only use a local travel agency, which is selling £8,000 full travel packages and includes admission for the last 4 days (and nosebleeds, at that). Since that's all rather ridiculous, does anyone know if individual tickets will go on sale at all (and where one might find them)?
    Individual tickets will probably go on sale towards the end of the year. I would keep checking back to see what happens as additional tickets are released.

  7. #7

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Roger Cup next year starts Aug 7 - there's a week, or at least 4 days, between the end of the Olympics and the start of the Rogers Cup.
    Thanks. Someone on Twitter said the turnaround was ridiculous and said Rogers Cup starts the 3d. I should've known to check here first.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.




  8. #8

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Individual tickets will probably go on sale towards the end of the year. I would keep checking back to see what happens as additional tickets are released.
    ah, excellent. thanks

  9. #9

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Each singles event consists of 64 players - 56 will qualify as direct acceptances based on ranking (8 June) + 8 will be allocated according to ITF criteria (continental qualification - 6, Olympic Gold Medalist/Grand Slam Champion - 1, host nation place - 1).
    Sharapova just announced that she's committed to WTT during the Olympics. I imagine she'd still play if she happens to qualify, but maybe she wants an excuse to say "I wasn't going to play anyway."

    Somebody commented "maybe they told her the Gold Medalist/Slam Winner WC would be going to Clijsters." I didn't think any WC would be allowed if it took the country above the 4 singles player limit, so I did some digging. The rules for that WC are actually pretty odd. (Link)

    The player has to be eligible like normal (top 300, has been available for Davis/Fed Cup). Beyond that, I assumed the Olympic Committee would get to choose, or that it would go to the highest ranked. Nope! It actually goes to the player with the most titles.

    At the moment, the only players who qualify are Puig and Stosur. Puig is higher ranked, but the WC would go to Stosur (9 titles vs 2). Azarenka and Kuznetsova are both ranked in the 50s, so it wouldn't take much for them to fall out of the top 56. Clijsters has more titles than all of them, so she'd need an exemption for not playing Fed Cup, but otherwise she just needs to make the top 300. Here are the possibilities for the women:

    Azarenka: ranked 50th, Belarusian #2, 20 titles
    Kuznetsova: ranked 54th, Russian #4, 18 titles
    Puig: ranked 79th, Puerto Rican #1, 2 titles
    Stosur: ranked 99th, Australian #3, 9 titles
    Clijsters: unranked, no way 4 Belgians qualify to box her out, 41 titles

  10. #10

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    For the men, Del Potro and Murray are the only possibilities.

    Del Potro is #123, but he's the Argentine #7. (The Argentine #4 is currently #76.) He has 22 titles.

    Murray is #126, and the British #4. He has 46 titles.

    I would bet that Murray easily qualifies regularly, and Del Potro either qualifies or isn't in his top 4. If Marin Cilic doesn't play a single match, he'd be right on the cusp. If Australia didn't already have 4 qualifiers, I would fully expect Hewitt to unretire again and try to get a top 300 singles ranking.

    I bet the men's goes unused. I bet the women's goes to Clijsters, but she says no thanks, and it goes to Stosur.

  11. #11

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Don't they just give the WCs to Stefanie Voegele and Veronica Cepede Royg every Olympics?
    This is not the bouquet you toss

  12. #12

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    What about the Bondarenko women? Don't we need them to help us with our pools?

    GH

  13. #13

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    For the men, Del Potro and Murray are the only possibilities.

    Del Potro is #123, but he's the Argentine #7. (The Argentine #4 is currently #76.) He has 22 titles.

    Murray is #126, and the British #4. He has 46 titles.

    I would bet that Murray easily qualifies regularly, and Del Potro either qualifies or isn't in his top 4. If Marin Cilic doesn't play a single match, he'd be right on the cusp. If Australia didn't already have 4 qualifiers, I would fully expect Hewitt to unretire again and try to get a top 300 singles ranking.

    I bet the men's goes unused. I bet the women's goes to Clijsters, but she says no thanks, and it goes to Stosur.
    Good sleuthing, Charlie. I’m surprised Delpo has 22 titilea, as much as he has been hurt.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

  14. #14

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Thanks Charlie!
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.




  15. #15

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Good sleuthing, Charlie. I’m surprised Delpo has 22 titilea, as much as he has been hurt.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Several are in wheel chair events...
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •