Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Tournament: Tokyo 2020 - Olympic Tennis event
    Dates: 25 July - 2 August
    Venue: Ariake Tennis Park, 12 match courts
    Surface: DecoTurf*
    Draw Ceremony: 23 July at 11 am
    Entry Ranking Date: 8 June
    Entry Deadline: 11 June (singles), 18 June (doubles)


    Format: best of 3 tie-break sets (singles), best of 3 tie-break sets/match tie-break 3rd set (doubles & mixed doubles)

    * Outdoor, but Centre Court has a retractable roof.

    Each singles event consists of 64 players - 56 will qualify as direct acceptances based on ranking (8 June) + 8 will be allocated according to ITF criteria (continental qualification - 6, Olympic Gold Medalist/Grand Slam Champion - 1, host nation place - 1).

    h/t to @MichalSamulski
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

    ― Frank Zappa





  2. #2
    Grand Slam Champion Charlie02123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    21,659
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Is it posted this early so we have a place to talk about who will qualify?

  3. #3

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Yes. There is a lot of talk about how player's scheduling for next year can effect who will play. For example, The Rogers Cup starts August 3.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

    ― Frank Zappa





  4. #4
    Grand Slam Champion skatingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,331

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Yes. There is a lot of talk about how player's scheduling for next year can effect who will play. For example, The Rogers Cup starts August 3.
    Roger Cup next year starts Aug 7 - there's a week, or at least 4 days, between the end of the Olympics and the start of the Rogers Cup.

  5. #5
    Contest Staff yoort's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    366

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    I'd love to attend these Olympics, given that they're likely to be the Big 3's last, but the ticket situation seems complicated. Looks like as a UK resident I can only use a local travel agency, which is selling 8,000 full travel packages and includes admission for the last 4 days (and nosebleeds, at that). Since that's all rather ridiculous, does anyone know if individual tickets will go on sale at all (and where one might find them)?

  6. #6
    Grand Slam Champion skatingfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,331

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by yoort View Post
    I'd love to attend these Olympics, given that they're likely to be the Big 3's last, but the ticket situation seems complicated. Looks like as a UK resident I can only use a local travel agency, which is selling 8,000 full travel packages and includes admission for the last 4 days (and nosebleeds, at that). Since that's all rather ridiculous, does anyone know if individual tickets will go on sale at all (and where one might find them)?
    Individual tickets will probably go on sale towards the end of the year. I would keep checking back to see what happens as additional tickets are released.

  7. #7

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Roger Cup next year starts Aug 7 - there's a week, or at least 4 days, between the end of the Olympics and the start of the Rogers Cup.
    Thanks. Someone on Twitter said the turnaround was ridiculous and said Rogers Cup starts the 3d. I should've known to check here first.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

    ― Frank Zappa





  8. #8
    Contest Staff yoort's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    366

    Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Individual tickets will probably go on sale towards the end of the year. I would keep checking back to see what happens as additional tickets are released.
    ah, excellent. thanks

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •