Likes Likes:  1

Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

Tournament: Tokyo 2020 - Olympic Tennis event
    Dates: 25 July - 2 August
    Venue: Ariake Tennis Park, 12 match courts
    Surface: DecoTurf*
    Draw Ceremony: 23 July at 11 am
    Entry Ranking Date: 8 June
    Entry Deadline: 11 June (singles), 18 June (doubles)

Format: best of 3 tie-break sets (singles), best of 3 tie-break sets/match tie-break 3rd set (doubles & mixed doubles)

* Outdoor, but Centre Court has a retractable roof.

Each singles event consists of 64 players - 56 will qualify as direct acceptances based on ranking (8 June) + 8 will be allocated according to ITF criteria (continental qualification - 6, Olympic Gold Medalist/Grand Slam Champion - 1, host nation place - 1).

h/t to @MichalSamulski
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Grand Slam Champion Charlie02123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

Is it posted this early so we have a place to talk about who will qualify?

Yes. There is a lot of talk about how player's scheduling for next year can effect who will play. For example, The Rogers Cup starts August 3.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Yes. There is a lot of talk about how player's scheduling for next year can effect who will play. For example, The Rogers Cup starts August 3.
    Roger Cup next year starts Aug 7 - there's a week, or at least 4 days, between the end of the Olympics and the start of the Rogers Cup.

I'd love to attend these Olympics, given that they're likely to be the Big 3's last, but the ticket situation seems complicated. Looks like as a UK resident I can only use a local travel agency, which is selling 8,000 full travel packages and includes admission for the last 4 days (and nosebleeds, at that). Since that's all rather ridiculous, does anyone know if individual tickets will go on sale at all (and where one might find them)?

Quote Originally Posted by yoort View Post
    I'd love to attend these Olympics, given that they're likely to be the Big 3's last, but the ticket situation seems complicated. Looks like as a UK resident I can only use a local travel agency, which is selling 8,000 full travel packages and includes admission for the last 4 days (and nosebleeds, at that). Since that's all rather ridiculous, does anyone know if individual tickets will go on sale at all (and where one might find them)?
    Individual tickets will probably go on sale towards the end of the year. I would keep checking back to see what happens as additional tickets are released.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Roger Cup next year starts Aug 7 - there's a week, or at least 4 days, between the end of the Olympics and the start of the Rogers Cup.
    Thanks. Someone on Twitter said the turnaround was ridiculous and said Rogers Cup starts the 3d. I should've known to check here first.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Individual tickets will probably go on sale towards the end of the year. I would keep checking back to see what happens as additional tickets are released.
    ah, excellent. thanks