Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Olympic Tennis Tokyo 7/23 - 8/2 2020

What about Federer? He's been discussing going to the Olympics, sounding very confident of getting the WC.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver0001 View Post
    What about Federer? He's been discussing going to the Olympics, sounding very confident of getting the WC.
    Why would Federer need a wildcard? He would have to play really badly for the first 5 months of 2020 to miss direct entry with his ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver0001 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Why would Federer need a wildcard? He would have to play really badly for the first 5 months of 2020 to miss direct entry with his ranking.
    These are two different things. Federer didn't play any Davis Cup, so he'll need an exemption for that. It's different than a WC for entry. He doesn't need to play a single match.

So I assume the ban on Russian athletes (which may be contested) will include Russian tennis players. Does it matter that pro tennis has its own anti doping system which is, by all accounts, very strict? Also, does anyone know if this decision affects other tennis events?

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    So I assume the ban on Russian athletes (which may be contested) will include Russian tennis players. Does it matter that pro tennis has its own anti doping system which is, by all accounts, very strict? Also, does anyone know if this decision affects other tennis events?
    Pattyfan I posted all the WADA stuff I could find in the Sports Doping Thread.

There isn't anything spcifically about tennis but it does seem that the Russian players won't be able to play under the Russian flag.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    I think Russian athletes with clean tests were allowed to compete in 2016 under the Olympic flag
    This is not the bouquet you toss

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Sharapova just announced that she's committed to WTT during the Olympics. I imagine she'd still play if she happens to qualify, but maybe she wants an excuse to say "I wasn't going to play anyway."
    I'm thinking she made other plans for different reasons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12