Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Grand Slam Champion Charlie02123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: WTA Elite Trophy - Zhuhai 10/22 - 10/27 2019

I was able to watch quite a bit of Sabalenka d Muchova.

You can frequently find pretty fantastic WTA streams on Youtube. You just search for the two players' names, then go to filters and select 'Live.' It never works for ATP matches, but it does for WTA matches more than half the time. The even nicer part is that you can pause it for a while, then play and use the right arrow key to fast forward 5 seconds. Now you can blast through changeovers and time between points. (Don't get too far behind though, because the whole thing disappears once the match is over and the stream closes.)

Muchova is a delight to watch. She reminds me of Mauresmo quite a bit. There's a slappy fluidity to her game, and she loves to improvise.

Sabalenka was firing on all cylinders. The massive ball striking is a given, but she was also moving and scrambling pretty well. I really dislike when a player is near hysterics when they have the lead, and I hate looking at the coaches box constantly, but she was able to manage her emotions reasonably well. In the second set, she was serving at 3-5 30-40, and managed to hold, then break to love, and eventually win in straights. She loves Asian hard court tournaments, but I think the main reason for her reawakening is the Grand Slam year being over and a bust. Why not just take a breath and hit the ball really hard? Now almost exactly 50% of her points are from Wuhan and Zhuhai. She'll end the year at #12 or #11, which is absolutely huge for her, considering she spent a lot of the year around 20ish in the race. She won't be far off from where she ended last year (#10).

I thought this match - Muchova vs Sabalenka - was a toss up giving Muchova the slight advantage because of how she's been playing. This was a big win for Sabalenka in my book.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Grand Slam Champion MeganFernandez's Avatar

WTA Elite Trophy - Zhuhai 10/22 - 10/27 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I was able to watch quite a bit of Sabalenka d Muchova.

You can frequently find pretty fantastic WTA streams on Youtube. You just search for the two players' names, then go to filters and select 'Live.' It never works for ATP matches, but it does for WTA matches more than half the time. The even nicer part is that you can pause it for a while, then play and use the right arrow key to fast forward 5 seconds. Now you can blast through changeovers and time between points. (Don't get too far behind though, because the whole thing disappears once the match is over and the stream closes.)

Muchova is a delight to watch. She reminds me of Mauresmo quite a bit. There's a slappy fluidity to her game, and she loves to improvise.

Sabalenka was firing on all cylinders. The massive ball striking is a given, but she was also moving and scrambling pretty well. I really dislike when a player is near hysterics when they have the lead, and I hate looking at the coaches box constantly, but she was able to manage her emotions reasonably well. In the second set, she was serving at 3-5 30-40, and managed to hold, then break to love, and eventually win in straights. She loves Asian hard court tournaments, but I think the main reason for her reawakening is the Grand Slam year being over and a bust. Why not just take a breath and hit the ball really hard? Now almost exactly 50% of her points are from Wuhan and Zhuhai. She'll end the year at #12 or #11, which is absolutely huge for her, considering she spent a lot of the year around 20ish in the race. She won't be far off from where she ended last year (#10).
    And she’ll be the fashionable pick to win in Melbourne again...
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    And she’ll be the fashionable pick to win in Melbourne again...
    Right and likely will fail just as spectacularly
    Roger forever

WTA Elite Trophy
    @WTAEliteTrophy
    ❤️How can it be sweeter?! ��
    @SabalenkaA
    shared her trophy with the mascot, who got stage fright earlier.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Aryna and her trophy
    via @WTA

― Frank Zappa

Grand Slam Champion MeganFernandez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

Aryna and her trophy
    via @WTA
    Her personality is so different than her on-court intensity. I've always been ambivalent on Sabalenka but starting to like her.

Her R1 match with Azarenka at the USO was one of the best matches of the year.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123