Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Next Gen Players They're (Almost) Here

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Shapo will always suffer from the size issue. He is a six cylinder engine in a world of turbo charged V8's.
    And glad you mention Kyrgios because you are right. Talent wise, he should be ready to win the Aussie next year. He has it all. But that head will stop him, and that is so difficult to correct. There are examples: Rios, Laconte (in that he did not concentrate, not the attitude), I must be missing somebody else.
    I think he could use Jimmy Connors as a mental coach. To learn to use that rage favorably, not against himself.
    And I think that Stefanos can be way better because his game is the one with more glitches (after Medvedev), so if he corrects some of those, he will improve. The serve has to be smoother, the backhand, as gorgeous as it is, develops hiccups. He can improve technically. If he drops papa.
    Shapo has grown but not all that much since I first saw him a couple of years ago live in NY. That was when they put him on Court 7 and people were literally sitting on the stairs in order to see him. I saw him walking with security after the match and anyone who has seen them they're not all the big men you see on court. And they were taller than him. They list him at 1.85m (6') but I'm not sure he's that tall. I'm glad he's been working with Youzhny. I think they'll be working on some of his wildness issues.

Rios was one of my favorite players to watch and I wonder if today his personality would be better tolerated.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Kyrgios has friends in the tour, and he seems to be popular with the other players.
    Rios was despised in the locker room. That takes a toll.
    Missing winter...

Medveded seems to be the one best positioned to take a Slam and break through. Next I'd say Thiem (I include him in the same generation, he's only 3 years older, about the same difference between Rafa and Roger) who's been to two slam finals.

Of course Kyrgios is the WC. But I sincerely doubt that he'll fix his head soon enough (if ever) to be the first to break through.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Shapo will always suffer from the size issue. He is a six cylinder engine in a world of turbo charged V8's.
    And glad you mention Kyrgios because you are right. Talent wise, he should be ready to win the Aussie next year. He has it all. But that head will stop him, and that is so difficult to correct. There are examples: Rios, Laconte (in that he did not concentrate, not the attitude), I must be missing somebody else.
    ^ Hicham Arazi. He could do anything he wanted with a racquet. While he was on the tour, I considered him to have more natural talent than any other player. Tremendous hand-eye co-ordination... he could throw his racquet up in the air, spinning end over end at about 500 rpm, and reach out and grab the handle like it was the easiest thing in the world.
    I once said to him on the practice court "You've got more natural talent than everyone else out here. But you've got to get it together here, man!" as I pointed to my head. He just shrugged his shoulders with a resigned look on his face as if to say "I know, but it's hopeless." His problem was that he was so talented, too many options were available to him on every shot (it's similar for Kyrgios - although Nick also has other problems.)

I think he could use Jimmy Connors as a mental coach. To learn to use that rage favorably, not against himself.
    ^ Connors would not be able to tolerate Kyrgios's attitude for more than 15 minutes, and they'd just end up yelling at each other, and possibly in a physical fight, as well.
    Someone has the right key to unlock Kyrgios's psychological demons and obstacles. Sadly, that person hasn't surfaced yet - but he/she does exist somewhere on the planet. There might even be 2 or 3 people who could do it... but no more than that.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 10-14-2019 at 01:46 AM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Sure, I said Kyrgios should get Connors. Not the other way around. Agree.
    But you never know. Stranger fellows have liked each other. Harry Hopman was a friend and mentor to Johnny Mac. Which never made sense.
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    Medveded seems to be the one best positioned to take a Slam and break through. Next I'd say Thiem (I include him in the same generation, he's only 3 years older, about the same difference between Rafa and Roger) who's been to two slam finals.

Of course Kyrgios is the WC. But I sincerely doubt that he'll fix his head soon enough (if ever) to be the first to break through.
    I lump Thiem in with Next Gen, too. (And I still call the 23-year-olds Next Gen, even though they don't qualify for the touranment.) I think it's because he and Zverev emerged together as the next top players behind Lost Gen, so we associate Thiem with Zverev, and Zverev with Next Gen.

Thiem doesn't seem to have his own generation other than Next Gen. Schwartzman, Tomic, and Sock are all one year older. Pouille is one year younger. But that's it as far as players spoken of as having Top 20 potential.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 10-14-2019 at 08:20 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Zverev has already proved he’s capable of winning multiple masters but bombing in the slams, but I agree it’s unlikely. Medvedev is looking like he’ll be the first slam winner-and if he keeps up this current consistency he should get the number one with it
    Medvedev has a level of belief right now that Zverev has never had, in my opinion. Maybe he was close last year when he won the year-end championships. I think Zverev can get there but so far his confidence has been a little fragile.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 10-14-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Sure, I said Kyrgios should get Connors. Not the other way around. Agree.
    But you never know. Stranger fellows have liked each other. Harry Hopman was a friend and mentor to Johnny Mac. Which never made sense.
    Not saying this was why Hopman and Mac got along, but people do often make allowances for massive talent.

On a somewhat related note, I find myself cutting Kyrgios the tiniest bit of slack because Murray likes him. (Not enough to matter in any meaningful sense -- just owning up to my own irrational/inconsistent fan behavior.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12