Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: ATP 250 Antwerp, Stockholm 10/14 - 10/20 2019

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Go with how it will be read. If you expect people to read el-el, it would be “an.” But I would read this “lucky loser,” so I would have used “a.”

I dont think there are many cases when you expext someone to read what an abbreviated/initialized noun stands for, but LL would be one, in my opinion.
    Whereas I hear "LL" as ell-ell in my head as I'm reading along. Which is, since a case can be made for either option, what project- and client-specific style sheets are for. And Ngrams (AKA anecdotal backup for choosing one phrasing over another).

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Watching Murray vs Wawrinka. Andy is moving and playing better than I expected to see, but Stan is playing some great tennis and has taken the first set. Good quality match so far

The third set can be called a steel cage match.
    It's four all now between Murray and Wawrinka
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Long brutal rallies with Murray getting everything back (so did Wawrinka) but in the end Wawrinka coughed up the errors Murray was looking for. Murray wins the title in Antwerp 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. That was a great match.

via @NialSmith (and Judy Murray)
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Go with how it will be read. If you expect people to read el-el, it would be “an.” But I would read this “lucky loser,” so I would have used “a.”

I dont think there are many cases when you expext someone to read what an abbreviated/initialized noun stands for, but LL would be one, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    No comment. Our copyeditors at the office have WWE no holds barred matches over things like this.
    My brother translates Scandinavian documents into English, and I've proofread a handful of his projects. It's always a struggle to make it accurate but readable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    Ooof. While I am a professional stickler, I also fly a mean FACAGOWYL flag.

[Flip A Coin And Get On With Your Life. Especially in the cases where no matter which option you select, someone is going to assume/insist you're wrong.]
    Mmmhmm. I would just remove it completely if I were trying to write anything professional. "Don't know how it's pronounced? Just pick a new sentence."

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    Whereas I hear "LL" as ell-ell in my head as I'm reading along. Which is, since a case can be made for either option, what project- and client-specific style sheets are for. And Ngrams (AKA anecdotal backup for choosing one phrasing over another).
    Please don't make me look things up. I'm very busy watching cartoons from the 90's.

Anyway, this was fascinating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-gram

ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I've always found him deeply boring, I was surprised at how excited I am with his comeback. He's interesting now! (His mother helps a lot).

You go, Andy! Bring your cyborg self to the AO.

Denis Shapovalov Singles Champion Stockholm

― Frank Zappa

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Just a few minutes ago, I typed: "... and a 8.64% loans-at-risk rate."

Word flagged: "... a 8.64% loans-at-risk rate."

I changed it to: "... an 8.64% loans-at-risk rate."

Word is happy with that.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP