Agree Agree:  18
Likes Likes:  58
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Horse Racing Random Random

The first foals out of Nyquist (won the 2016 Kentucky Derby) and Frosted (yet another son of Tapit who is best known for setting a stakes record for the Met Mile and finishing second to American Pharoah a few times) will make their 2-year-old debut in the second race at Gulfstream today.

The Nyquist son, named Breakthrough, is trained by Wesley Ward and will have Irad Ortiz, Jr., aboard. The Frosted colt, named Restored Order, is trained by Todd Pletcher and will have Luis Saez riding. Unfortunately, Restored Order drew the outside post position--a terrible draw for a race that will only go 4.5 furlongs (just over half a mile). Both Ward and Pletcher are well known for their win rates with first-time starters. But given their post positions, Breakthrough probably deserves to be the morning line favorite that he is.

They will race on dirt.

There have been a lot of rumblings about the quality of the first crops from these two freshman sires--even more so than what we were hearing this time last year about the first foals out of American Pharoah and Constitution.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

And Breakthrough was just scratched. Well, if he wasn't ready, he wasn't ready.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

How things went for the first Frosted progeny to race. He's #12, Restored Order.

Not bad. I wonder if he was held back just a bit at the end...
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Not bad. I wonder if he was held back just a bit at the end...
    You mean the Frosted colt, Restored Order? Not sure he was held back. I doubt it because he's a $420K horse with huge expectations.

But down the stretch, he was clearly giving serious thought to running sideways. You see that sometimes with really green horses.

BTW, Breakthrough scratched yesterday because he was double entered yesterday and in a race today, and they chose today's race instead. He also finished third. A stablemate to Restored Order from the Pletcher barn won that one. Early on, you could definitely see the Nyquist speed in Breakthrough. He was flying. But he couldn't hold off two other horses. Video isn't up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    You mean the Frosted colt, Restored Order? Not sure he was held back. I doubt it because he's a $420K horse with huge expectations.

But down the stretch, he was clearly giving serious thought to running sideways. You see that sometimes with really green horses.

BTW, Breakthrough scratched yesterday because he was double entered yesterday and in a race today, and they chose today's race instead. He also finished third. A stablemate to Restored Order from the Pletcher barn won that one. Early on, you could definitely see the Nyquist speed in Breakthrough. He was flying. But he couldn't hold off two other horses. Video isn't up yet.
    True. That's why the jockey had to rein him in. Thanks.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Here's Race 2 from Gulfstream today where the Nyquist colt finished third. The winner, Hyperfocus, is a Pletcher horse sired by Constitution, who also happens to be the sire of my filly who will make her way to Churchill in the near future. Hyperfocus will make his life much easier if he can learn to break a little better. Nice race. BTW, Peppi was the only one in the field who had run a race.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Racing resumed at Golden Gate today. From what I can tell, either most of the jockeys have elected to wear masks or Golden Gate required them as a condition of being eligible to race.

They aren't your "normal" masks, either. Most of the jockeys are covering their entire face except their eyes (of course). And the masks are very tight fitting to the face.

If the mask is required, then Golden Gate would be the only track mandating masks for jockeys.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

BTW, racing resumes at Charles Town (WV) last night and at Santa Anita today. In fact, the first race at Santa Anita just went off.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Belmont Stakes shortened, will be run June 20; 40-stakes meet begins June 3

The Belmont Stakes, traditionally the last and longest leg of Thoroughbred racing’s Triple Crown, will be run June 20 and at the shortened distance of 1 1/8 miles around one turn, the New York Racing Association announced Tuesday. That means the Belmont – typically run at 1 1/2 miles five weeks after the Kentucky Derby – will be run 11 weeks before the Kentucky Derby (Sept. 5) and 15 weeks before the Preakness (Oct. 3).

No spectators will be permitted at the race.

More at: https://www.drf.com/news/belmont-sta...-begins-june-3

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I don't think Maxfield has been mentioned here yet. He is a key contender for the Belmont and will make his 2020 debut today in a $150K stakes race at Churchill Downs. He is undefeated in two races and trained by Brendan Walsh (a non-Baffert horse to root for!).

Here's what he did at the Claiborne Futurity back in October.

He's coming off a VERY long layoff, though.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Maxfield is the 10 horse. Sorry, the call is in Spanish.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

This was by far the race of the day. I had $2 to win on the 5 horse, who lost by no more than a snot bubble to the 2 horse. But instead of letting my 5 horse get a piece of the win, the officials decided to use their dead heat on third place. Wild, wild stuff.

I'm not quite sure what Umberto Rispoli (on the 8 horse) was thinking. He usually makes really good decisions, especially on turf. But he went a little bonkers on the backstretch. So unlike him. But it just added to the drama.

I had whiplash when this race was over. Especially since, after the race was over and I watched the slow motion, I was confident my 5 horse had won. Snort.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910