Agree Agree:  25
Likes Likes:  77
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Horse Racing Random Random

For the record, I would prefer banning whips altogether. If you truly have the best horse in the race, all you really need is two hands pushing at the base of the back of the neck. The horse will respond.

I think I read once that Seabiscuit was a no whip horse and that a whip freaked him out because he was hit so hard so many times as a baby. So Red Pollard did not use a whip in races. I'm not sure that's true, but I like to think it is (that Red didn't use a whip with Sea Biscuit).
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    A few observations.

2) The general consensus is that Tap It to Win will be the speed of the speed, along with Fore Runner. Given the shortened distance, many people like Tap It to Win's chances to go wire to wire--assuming he breaks well. That's never guaranteed, of course. Roughly 90% of the people saying this are "I'm taking a stand against the favorite" types who place strong emphasis on controlling speed. And they may be right.
    That's where I went with my pick because of the shorter race. All six of us at home watched it and the six year old picked Tiz the Law just because she liked how it looked.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    That's where I went with my pick because of the shorter race. All six of us at home watched it and the six year old picked Tiz the Law just because she liked how it looked.
    In 1982, I picked Gato Del Sol to win the Derby at 20/1 because he was the only gray in the race. So I have experience with even worse reasoning.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Given what happened at Santa Anita this time last year, I thought you all might appreciate an update on how things went during the most recent meet, which ended Sunday.

Between December 28 and June 21, there were 7 horse fatalities during workouts on the main track (dirt) or the training track (dirt).

During the same timeframe, there was 1 horse fatality during a gallop on the main track or training track.

During the same timeframe, there were 0 horse fatalities during races on the main track. (This is a radical reduction compared to last year. I cannot explain it.)

During the same timeframe, there were 5 horse fatalities on the turf course.

https://www.santaanita.com/horse-racing/horse-care/ (To see the figures for yourself, go to the link, click on Statistics on the left, and then scroll down. If you want, you can also read the incident reports for the days on which they occurred--which I haven't done yet.)

Of course, Santa Anita was shut down for about 3 months due to COVID-19.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

So, Saffie Joseph had my colt, Tiz the Dude, do a work at 3 furlongs on turf yesterday. Everything was going as planned until Tiz the Dude saw two other horses breezing in front of him. He decided he had to pass those horses, which took the jockey by surprise. And he passed them easily. He did that AFTER his 3-furlong work was already complete, which turned out to be the fastest 3-furlong work on turf posted at the track yesterday--before he took off.

If having horses in front of him pisses him off, well, that's a pretty good sign for a racehorse, yes?

I wish I could share the video, but it's not in a postable format.

Saffie has decided Tiz the Dude will make his debut on turf. Now we wait for Gulfstream to announce a race restricted to 2-year-olds on turf.

My filly, Bold Article, will do another work this coming weekend. If that goes as expected, then Saffie says she'll be ready to race. She will debut on dirt, which will make it much easier for her to find her first race. Saffie is still waiting for Churchill to give him stall space. Once they do, that's probably where she'll go because she's a Kentucky-bred.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The 7th race today at Woodbine was the race of the day--for all the wrong reasons. This was the final leg of my Woodbine Pick 4, where I was still alive. If the 6 had won the race, I would have won $173 and change. The 6 won. Except the 6 horse got disqualified for mugging the 5 horse AFTER the 5 horse mugged the 9 horse. It was a horrible call by the stewards.

The 2 was declared the winner at 24/1. And my Pick 4 went down in flames. Sigh...

By the way, the 6, the 5, and the 9 were all on my ticket. (Along with the 8 horse, but he was too far behind to get mugged.) So the horses on my ticket basically spent the stretch eliminating each other.

Painful.

Ouch. But also LOL - props to Matinee for pulling the Bradbury.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    Ouch. But also LOL - props to Matinee for pulling the Bradbury.
    Perfect analogy.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

A new horse enters the Kentucky Derby fray. Baffert trained. Undefeated in 2 races. Uncle Chuck won the Los Alamitos Derby today in a field of 4 horses that constituted subpar competition. But Uncle Chuck was pretty impressive. He needs another race with Derby points--and a win, maybe second will do--to make the Derby field.

IIRC, he would be at least the second son of Uncle Mo (along with King Guillermo) to make the Derby field if he can win 1 more race worth Derby points.

We can probably stick a fork in Thousand Words--also Baffert-trained.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Yesterday's Race of the Day. It was the 10th and final race at Belmont, a turf sprint. It's fairly rare for a closer to win this type of race. Go to 52.46. The stretch moves by jockey Kendrick Carmouche were pretty special. If I remember correctly, Sanctuary City went off at 6/1. I'm still kicking myself for not betting him, but I haven't had the courage to place a bet since the debacle at Woodbine the other day. That Pick 4 damaged me.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I cannot believe what just unfolded. (Don't worry, nobody died or got hurt.) This has to be one of the most intellectually defective owner/trainer decisions I have seen in my limited time following thoroughbred racing closely.

But to tell the whole story, first I must go back to the 2002 Keeneland September Yearling Sale. It was there that a yearling filly who went on to be named Marylebone was purchased for a hefty $725,000 by a guy who used to be a fairly prolific and successful owner, Michael Tabor. Todd Pletcher was hired to train her.

Marylebone won her first race in her debut at Saratoga as a 2-year-old. In her next race, still as a 2-year-old, she won the Grade 1 Matron Stakes at Belmont Park. After that, she only raced four more times and never finished higher than second, earning $147,000 in a short racing career. She delivered her first foal in 2007.

As a broodmare, Marylebone has had modest success. Her 2010 filly, Bow Bells, earned $92,000 as a racer. Her 2012 colt, Chiltern Street, fared better, earning almost $240,000 on the track. Both were sired by Giant's Causeway--a top sire.

Fast forward to 2016 when the decision was made to breed Marylebone to the new Triple Crown winner, American Pharoah. That mating produced a colt now named Sambam. At some point, that colt was purchased privately rather than at public auction by two men, Len Rosemen and Jack J. Armstrong. I know nothing about them except that they never purchased a racehorse before as a team and, given the pedigree, they almost certainly paid six digits for this colt with very lofty expectations.

Fast forward again to today's 4th race at Parx in Bensalem, PA north of Philadelphia. I will sometimes scan racing cards looking for first-time starters with exceptional pedigrees. Sambam jumped out at me for a few reasons. First, the pedigree obviously caught my eye. But then I read the racing conditions. Sambam was making his debut as a 3-year-old, which means it took longer than usual to get him in racing condition, and the 4th race at Parks was a maiden claiming race.

This meant that, without ever running a race, Sambam was not only making his debut; he was also for sale.

The claiming price? A measly $10,000.

I immediately think, "Man, this horse must be really, REALLY bad and have zero talent if the owners and the trainer (Scott Lake, a fairly successful trainer who clearly is not an idiot and does well with first-time starters) have already given up on him and are willing to sell him for $10,000." After all, that had to be a fraction of Sambam's purchase price--not to mention what else they had invested in him (feed, board, training, vet bills, etc.).

The race starts. Sambam breaks poorly and immediately is near the back of the pack (a field of 11 horses running in mud). But he does well to make up ground on the backstretch and makes a sweeping move on the turn to pass a bunch of horses. He finishes the race a rapidly closing third. Had the race been a mile instead of 3/4 of a mile, he probably would have won his debut.

Fast forward again about 30 minutes later. The news gets posted on Twitter. One trainer put in a claim on Sambam, purchasing him for $10,000.

The connections (owners, trainer, etc.) sold this horse they certainly purchased for six digits for a paltry $10,000 and a third-place purse of $1,650. The buyer? Antonio Soto, a fairly successful trainer in his own right.

Sambam could have debuted in a maiden special weight race (not for sale) to see what he might do in a real race. If they hated him that much, they could have run him in a different maiden claiming race for a price of $50,000 or $75,000, hoping to get a larger portion of their purchase price and expenses back. In spite of slow works, someone would have taken the chance.

But no. They dumped this horse in the lowest-level maiden claiming race that Parx offers.

And I guarantee you... Antonio Soto is already drunk with glee (if not literally). Because not only does he have an impeccably bred horse in his stable at a dirt-cheap purchase price; he also has a horse that, given the pedigree and regardless of racing results, would easily command a $5,000 (or larger) stud fee if he elects to go that route.

Intellectually defective doesn't even come close to describing how dumb this was.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Split Samples for Baffert Horses Come Back Positive

The test for Gamine (I posted a video of her last race several days back, but this test was for the race before that) was 9 times over the legal limit. Charlatan's second test was 2 times over the legal limit.

Baffert blames an employee for "contamination"...

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Of the races I saw today, this was the Ride of the Day. Umberto Rispoli, who came from Europe to the United States early this year and struggled to get mounts early on after the move to California, is making a big mark, especially on turf races. He's on the #7 horse, Hit the Road. Take special note of his move off the rail at about 2:32.

The trainer of the winning horse, Dan Blacker, has also been giving Rispoli lots of mounts when other trainers wouldn't. I think that's admirable. It definitely paid off today. This was a $100K stakes race.

[Now I have to see if I can find the video of Dan and Christina Blacker's three daughters watching the race live. It's adorable. I saw it on TV, but I'm not sure if it is available online. Christina Blacker does commentary for TVG.]

[BTW, I'm back on the wagon. This was the third leg of the Del Mar late Pick 4, which I won. Unfortunately, the results were pretty chalky... But I still made $76.70 in profit.]

I enjoy watching the horses run. That was a beautiful run. He didn't touch a horse on his way past.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213