Agree Agree:  33
Likes Likes:  128
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Horse Racing Random Random

Kentucky Derby 4th place finisher, Honor A. P., sustained an injury on his way out of the gate at the beginning of the Derby. It is minor, but he is being retired and will now stand at Lane's End.

Because, you know, Lane's End doesn't already have enough stallions in the barns.

Grade 1 Winner Honor A. P. Retired Due To Injury; To Stand At Laneís End
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    When the race started, I remember seeing all of the horses on the inside posts playing bumper cars (#6 horse and inward, IIRC). It wasn't pretty. I'll post the video once it's posted. (KY Downs tends to post them about 1-2 days later.) We can look at it more closely then.

That kind of trouble happens all the time, but it stands to reason it would be more common in 2-year-olds, especially when you have some first-time starters. But in this case, I think all or most of the first-time starters had outside posts?
    The race is up. Yes, the 6, One Fast Orb, was the one that created the bumper car scenario. Had a domino effect. But some of them rebounded nicely.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Tiz the Law will skip the Preakness on October 3 and instead aim for the Breeder's Cup Classic at Keeneland on November 7.

https://www.drf.com/news/tiz-law-ski...rs-cup-classic

Interesting. Maybe more than just regular stiffness. Because seems like the Belmont winner would be a heavier favorite at the Preakness than at the Derby. Guess we'll see if they made the right call in about a month.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The connections for Tiz the Law are in a bit of a predicament. Every time he wins, his future stud fee goes up. Every time he loses, his stud fee goes down. Generally speaking, a Breeders Cup Classic win is more prestigious than a Preakness win. So if you MUST pick between one or the other, the Classic is the bigger trophy.

I agree on which you choose, just a touch surprised because every year but this one, not winning the Derby can mean skipping the Preakness, but that's when they are just two weeks apart. These races are all one month apart. So doing all 3 didn't seem out of the realm. And honestly, winning 2 of the 3 legs of the Triple Crown is still quite the accomplishment.

That being said, this would've been a greatly devalued Triple Crown if it had occurred because of the different timeline, which is a big part of the difficulty and contributes to it being a rare occurrence. Maybe the 2 of the 3 not being back to back races is part of the calculation here.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Or, one could make a pretty good argument that this would have been the most difficult Triple Crown ever. Having 3 races in the span of 7 weeks is tough, no doubt, but if you can get a horse to peak at the right time (Baffert's specialty), then it can be an ideal scenario. But that's why it happens so rarely.

Contrast that to three Triple Crown races spread 5 months apart. Under that condition, it's so difficult to keep a horse in good form, especially when their are big-dollar stakes races between where you have to decide if your horse needs them or doesn't. It's a different kind of difficult.

I originally came down on the side that, if a horse won the Triple Crown this year, it would be somewhat meaningless given the shortening of the Belmont distance. But having watched more closely than I ever have before the challenges high-profile trainers and connections faced between each race this year, especially given the time lag between the Belmont and the Derby, I've shifted more to the middle or perhaps a bit on the other side of the argument. (That is also, in part, swayed by my strong opinion that 1 1/2 miles would have been no problem for a healthy, injury-free Tiz the Law.)

Or maybe I'm all wet.

I didn't even know Belmont was shorter this year. Yeah, definitely devalued for me. The differences in distance are just as important as the timeline of the events, maybe more so. Horses like Smarty Jones that were so close but faltered at the Belmont because of the distance possibly would've been a Triple Crown winner with a shorter track.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

RACE OF THE DAY: Of what I saw today, this was easily the winner. A baby race (2-year-olds, all previous winners) at Gulfstream.

FYI, the jockey on the 5 was apprentice rider Mario Fuentes.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

My colt, Tiz the Dude, made his debut at Gulfstream today. Because of impending weather, the race was pulled off the turf and put on the main dirt track.

The weather held off, but it didn't go well. Tiz the Dude (the 6 horse) had to check really hard to avoid crashing with a horse in front of him. Miguel did well to manage that, because I thought my horse might go down.

He finished 8th, since he lost all momentum. He was not claimed, so we will get at least another run with him--on turf, at a mile rather than 5 furlongs on dirt.

I'm just glad he got through it safely, because things got really dicey for a bit.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

My filly, Bold Article, raced in the opener today at Churchill. 6 furlongs on dirt. Churchill races generally don't make it to YouTube, but I THINK you can go to this link and click on Race Replay. She's the #5 horse. I was most worried about the #6 filly.

https://www.tvg.com/racetracks/CD/ch...l-downs?race=1

I couldn't watch without logging in, but YAY!!!!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I couldn't watch without logging in, but YAY!!!!
    Si.

Bold Article stalked the front runner into the turn, took the lead, lost the lead to the 6 in the stretch, and then fought back to win by a neck or so.

She improved her speed figure at this distance/surface by about 15 points. She dropped in class but also improved at the same time.

I was struck by how the 6 lost by doing some of the same things Bold Article has been doing in recent races--namely, going wide on the turn and tilting her head to the right rather than running straight.

This was the most professional race Bold Article has run--by far. She's always been professional before the race, but this was the first time she kept it professional during an entire race.

Having Tyler Gafflione on board for a second race really, REALLY helped. He was on her at Saratoga and knows her quirks.

Saffie and Mary say they are aiming for a race at Keeneland on October 22 next. (This would be her fifth track in 5 races.) This will be challenging because, since she's now won a race, she'll have to face other winners or enter into allowance/stakes territory.

Leave it to a female to be the only one paying the bills for a partnership.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920