Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Horse Racing Random Random

Re: Horse Racing Random Random

If they get to Keeneland I will definitely cheer for and put some money on them!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator
    Blog Entries

Neither of those responses fall into the "please talk me out of it" category.

I still need to have a conversation with the Manager, who is a woman, which is pretty rare. The partnership I am looking at has the second highest 2019 purse per start rate of the partnerships I am considering. (I know I cannot afford the partnership with the highest 2019 purse per start rate, but the one I am considering is only slightly behind it and achieved their rate with 12 starts compared to 35 starts for the leader.)

I need to confirm it with her, but the package of three yearling horses I am considering (I am 99% sure) include:

• A Brethren colt with a pedigree that suggests both dirt and distance competency with a second dam that bring competency on turf
    • A First Dude colt who is linebred to A.P. Indy at 3x4 and Seattle Slew and Relaunch at 4x5; distance should be no problem; he'd probably excel on dirt or synthetic, but turf isn't out of the question
    • A Constitution filly who, from the looks of her, has tremendous racing and broodmare potential. She is bred for distance as well. Would probably be limited to dirt, but not necessarily.

Seriously, I want someone to talk me out of this...

I know what they paid for these yearlings at the auctions. (All of this is available online.) None of them fetched prices that drip confidence. That said, Mitole (Breeder's Cup winner just last week) brought a similar price when he was first put up at auction. Which, of course, means nothing.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

This sport really should be out of business.

Grand Slam Champion

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post

Seriously, I want someone to talk me out of this...
    You're gonna need to locate some of your sensible friends for that. If you can afford to lose the money, then I say go for it. Sounds like even if these horses don't turn into Kentucky Derby horses, they'd still be competing so even then, you're unlikely to be losing your entire investment. And if it works out? We'll hear about the unlikely ownership group of the Belmont Stakes winner. There's a story like that every few years in horse racing, why can't you be a part of it?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123