Agree Agree:  24
Likes Likes:  75
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Horse Racing Random Random

At least it was Charlatan and not Nadal. Can you imagine if Nadal (the horse) had tested positive? The jokes would have been endless. And merciless.

That said, they run the test twice for a good reason.

But the news that came out about Justify last year or so doesn't particularly help Baffert's case here. Nor does the fact that Baffert inherited Maximum Security after Jason Servis got busted.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Ouch. Speaking of Nadal, TVG just broke the news. Nadal (the horse, winner of the Arkansas Derby, Division 2) suffered a career-ending BUT NOT LIFE-THREATENING injury. He will not race again. They will do surgery on a front leg. After his recovery, he will go to stud.

Bob Baffert is having a bad week.

Interesting time for Nadal to get injured.

*puts on tinfoil cap and blinders

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    Interesting time for Nadal to get injured.

*puts on tinfoil cap and blinders
    His last race was the same day and same track as Charlatan. Nadal's test was clean--at least based on some reports I ready early on.

And to be clear, if I understood it correctly, Charlatan didn't test positive for a PED. He tested positive for levels of a legal medication that exceeded the limits. Of course, that doesn't mean it was accidental.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

A few things to note.

1) Still no word on Charlatan's second test.

2) Laurel Park in Maryland reopened last weekend--no spectators.

3) Belmont Park in New York reopens about 20 minutes from now--no spectators.

4) On a very sad note, the great Arrogate passed away yesterday or the day before at the age of only 7. For about a week, he had suffered from an undetermined neurological disorder. They could not figure it out. Ultimately, the owners at Juddmonte Farm decided to humanely end his suffering. His third and final crop of foals will begin arriving in early 2021. Arrogate is probably best known for winning the 2017 Dubai World Cup after hopping out of the gate and then getting mugged by horses around him. He was also a Baffert horse.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Today's Santa Anita Derby was the race of the day--not so much because it was a great race but because the result was extremely damaging to Bob Baffert, depending on what happens with Charlatan's second drug test.

Baffert's Authentic (#7) was the heavy favorite in this race and was widely expected to win and join the field for the Belmont--the first leg of this year's Triple Crown.

But Honor A.P. (#6) had other ideas.

If Charlatan fails his second drug test, and if there is no cover up like with Justify, this pretty much establishes Tiz the Law as the Belmont favorite. Though I wouldn't be quick to dismiss Honor A.P. Many of us thought he just needed more distance, which is what he got today. And that made all the difference. (That and the fact Authentic started the race running in the wrong direction.)

Also of note, Baffert's other horse in the race, #5, Azul Coast, finished dead last. He'll be running claiming races soon.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Today's race of the day. I take you to the 6th race today at Woodbine outside of Toronto. The favorite, Bend In The River, was a talented, worthy favorite who had a bad trip his last race out.

But first time starter, Ennis the Menace, was not intimidated. The stretch run was wild. Pretty sure both horses had the lead twice.

BTW, after the first few days of the new Woodbine meet, I'm fairly certain Emma-Jayne Wilson is leading the jockey standings. She kicked ass yesterday, and she did so again today. Though her horse in this race, a longshot, did nothing.

Thanks for posting these races dry! I love horses and these animals are among the most beautiful - and fragile - on the planet.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Meanwhile, serious tragedy struck trainer Christophe Clement and 10 horses in his care early Sunday morning. I waited to say anything until there was more information, but information has been fairly scarce.

Sunday morning at about 3 a.m., a van and trailer carrying 10 horses from the Clement barn that were being transported from Florida to Belmont Park in New York crashed into a divider amid construction on the New Jersey Turnpike.

The crash caused a fire in the trailer. All 10 horses perished--9 inside the trailer and 1 that the two drivers managed to get out but had to be euthanized by a veterinarian. (Another report states the drivers were able to get 2 horses out of the trailer, with 1 being euthanized and another dying outside of the trailer due to injuries sustained in the fire. So there are some conflicting reports.)

Both drivers were treated for smoke inhalation at local hospitals and released. All indications are that they tried to save the horses--but just couldn't. At this point, there is no indication the driver did anything wrong, but that is under investigation.

West Point Thoroughbreds, a partnership much like the one I joined but deals with far more lucrative and prestigious horses, tweeted that two of the horses that died were theirs.

One was Under the Oaks, a 3-year-old American Pharoah daughter who raced at Gulfstream just a week ago Saturday. I saw that race. The other, Hot Mist, recently won her maiden race at Tampa Bay Downs.

The identities of the other horses, at this point, are unknown. But since they were all trained by Christophe Clement, these were all either elite horses or horses with a tremendous amount of potential.

Here is the link to the NY Times report: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/n...-turnpike.html

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Baffert's Charlatan is now out of the Belmont and the Kentucky Derby due to "a minor ankle issue."

Fishy, to say the least.

The result of the second drug test is still outstanding.

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Ba...571078871.html

Belmont is still on pace to be run? I haven't been following closely so didn't realize that. Kids will be excited, we never miss any of the triple crown races. Son is still bragging about predicting Justify's triple crown.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Belmont is still on pace to be run? I haven't been following closely so didn't realize that. Kids will be excited, we never miss any of the triple crown races. Son is still bragging about predicting Justify's triple crown.
    Yes, the Belmont Stakes will be run June 20 at a distance of 1 1/8 miles rather than the usual 1 1/2 mile.

Also, just read that Maxfield is skipping the Belmont to run in the Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland instead on July 11. According to trainer Brendan Walsh, the owners have made it clear that they are gunning for the Kentucky Derby.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Two races I want to share with you all today.

This wasn't just the Race of the Day. It was also the Race CALL of the Day. From a 7/8-mile $100K allowance optional claiming race at Woodbine outside of Toronto. You may have to watch it a few times to fully understand what a red hot mess this was.

The 3 horse, Clayton, was the overwhelming favorite at post time. But he had some serious traffic troubles. More than once.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Meanwhile, it was the 10th race at Golden Gate that knocked me out of the Pick 6. I had every other race right. But Kyle Frey on the 11 horse, after being wide for the whole race, suddenly decided to channel Calvin Borel. I had the 1 and the 6 horses. The 1 finished second.

(The fact that the 11 horse was the LAST horse I cut from my ticket is pure salt in the wounds.)

Sorry the race is called in Spanish. Those are always fun to listen to.

Serious here.
    I find that some of the horses names are great. But of course, sometimes they also go over board.
    Has there ever been a horse named Joe? I mean, just keep it simple. Joe, Bob, Sussy. Horse-with-no-name. Something that will not make the announcer faint due to hypoxia.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast