Agree Agree:  16
Likes Likes:  45
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Horse Racing Random Random

I posted that yesterday was the last day of the winter Gulfstream Park meet. That was incorrect. TODAY was the last day.

And there was a very nice moment in the last race. Well-respected jockey, Chris Landeros, had gone winless in the current meet that started the last week of November 2019. Yes, 109 rides without a single win. And Landeros is a jockey who has been no stranger to winning graded stakes events. He had lots of seconds (including one I remember yesterday), lots of thirds, lots of respectable finishes.

But he just could NOT win a race.

So it came down to the last race today at Gulfstream--Landeros' last chance of the meet--where he was riding the favorite, Urban Fairytale, who also happened to be trained by his father-in-law, Ian Wilkes. That had to involve some added pressure. Or perhaps it was a gift from Wilkes. I don't know.

But it was a nice moment.

Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

It had been nice to see horse racing on TV most days - since sports channels are desperate for live content

I missed that Javier Castellano tested positive and was scheduled to race in the Florida Derby (but of course he was scheduled, why wouldn't he be?). Only in Florida would the event not be called off immediately.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I missed that Javier Castellano tested positive and was scheduled to race in the Florida Derby (but of course he was scheduled, why wouldn't he be?). Only in Florida would the event not be called off immediately.
    But get this... Caton Bredar said yesterday that Gulfstream plans to begin a new meet on Thursday. Yeah, Thursday. Tampa Bay Downs is set to resume racing on Wednesday. I guess it's a Florida thing. There was racing yesterday at Oaklawn Park (AR) and Golden Gate (CA).

I checked TVG a bit ago and they only have European harness racing to show. Races from New Zealand and Australia are about 8 hours away. If there will be any racing today at Will Rogers Downs (OK), those would start about an hour from now. Last I heard, Will Rogers Downs is not only still open--it's still open to the public.

As I suspected Florida has no state income tax. They need revenue.

There is no personal income tax in Florida.
    Florida Sales Tax: Florida sales tax rate is 6%. Florida State Tax: Florida does not have a state income tax. Florida Corporate Income Tax: Corporations that do business and earn income in Florida must file a corporate income tax return (unless they are exempt).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jajcOrNGrBp4VJ
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    BTW, I should add that Javier was in New York with his family last week. Gulfstream asked him (and other jockeys) to arrive earlier than usual. Then he was tested and tested positive. So while he was asymptomatic in New York and during his travels, he did, in fact, travel to Gulfstream. I assume by plane, possibly by private jet. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    BTW, I should add that Javier was in New York with his family last week. Gulfstream asked him (and other jockeys) to arrive earlier than usual. Then he was tested and tested positive. So while he was asymptomatic in New York and during his travels, he did, in fact, travel to Gulfstream. I assume by plane, possibly by private jet. I don't know.
    I'm not sure which is safer at this point honestly, but he can afford to fly on a private jet and that sort of seems like the safest one. Hopefully him and his family are doing okay, I seem to remember him having 2 or 3 children.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678