Likes Likes:  141
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Horse Racing Random Random

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Looking forward to it, even knowing it can't beat last year. Nothing can.
    You were saying?!?!?!?!?

I had $10 on Swiss Skydiver.
    Tiz the Dude! Now a winner after his second race!

Nope, not better than Bodexpress, but that was exciting...

but a touch too dangerous to me, they were very very close, I was worried there was about to be an accident. I'd like to see another angle to hopefully show they weren't as close as it seemed. So far not seeing it.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Nope, not better than Bodexpress, but that was exciting...

but a touch too dangerous to me, they were very very close, I was worried there was about to be an accident. I'd like to see another angle to hopefully show they weren't as close as it seemed. So far not seeing it.
    Yeah, I don't think you want to see the head on. It looked to me like Swiss Skydiver was running perfectly straight, but Authentic was lugging inward a bit. I could be wrong, though.

I watch horse racing living in fear of a Eight Belles repeat. I'm still scarred. So I see horses running entirely too close and start getting worried thinking "Yikes! Please no accidents, please no accidents!"

That's how I saw the race too too, they were pretty close down a lot of the stretch, but then Authentic moved a bit closer, and then angled even closer into Swiss Skydier's lane.

Happy that a filly won. Congrats on the winning bet @dry!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Happy that a filly won. Congrats on the winning bet @dry!
    It was worth a shot. She was second in her last race at a similar distance but put up her fastest Equibase speed figure to date. So she was improving. But so was Authentic, though to a lesser degree. And NO ONE was talking about her. It was all about Authentic and Art Collector. Which pleased me to no end because it kept her odds in the 11/1 range. Plus, she's run 9 races on 9 different tracks this year--and always showed up.

It was worth a shot. Not to mention, I'm always game for taking a shot against Baffert.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

For those who missed it, the race is up. Robby Albarado's move at 1:10 between horses was everything.

I like that the filly ws being hand ridden at the end while Authentic was being whipped.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    In case you weren't aware, the Preakness is today. Post time is 5:36 p.m. EST. Tiz the Law is skipping it. Authentic is the favorite. Interesting additions to the field include Art Collector and the filly Swiss Skydiver (she has a legitimate shot).

By the way, even though the Triple Crown has been weird this year, Bob Baffert has never lost the Preakness when he brings in a Kentucky Derby winner.
    You have to remind me of this the day BEFORE! Especially this year. Totally wasn't on my mind until right now. At least you have the race for me.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    By the way, even though the Triple Crown has been weird this year, Bob Baffert has never lost the Preakness when he brings in a Kentucky Derby winner.
    Was this our jinx?
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Was this our jinx?
    I have no such suliso-esque powers.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

My colt, Tiz the Dude, made his second start about an hour ago in the 4th race at Gulfstream Park West. It was supposed to be 7.5 furlongs on the turf, but the track pulled the race off the turf this morning due to forecasted scattered thunderstorms (which haven't yet materialized). This was a maiden claiming race, so Tiz the Dude was claimable at a price of $20K.

So instead, the race was run at 7 furlongs on the dirt, making this the second time in two starts where we wanted him on turf but ended up running on dirt.

He's the #1 horse and went off as the somewhat tepid post-time favorite at 5/2 in a full field of 12 horses.

According to the Equibase chart, Tiz the Dude was NOT claimed. So maybe we'll still get that turf race we want.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

My filly, Bold Article, will race again Friday at Keeneland (fifth track in five starts)--this time against other winners. But I think she looks pretty good in this group. 6.5 furlongs on the dirt. The only question is if she, for some reason, doesn't like the dirt at Keeneland.

Tyler Gaffalione will be aboard again. That pleases me.

They were originally looking toward a dirt route race at 8.5 furlongs, but there weren't enough entrants. So they settled for this.

It's a claiming race, so she'll be for sale again ($40,000). But since Tiz the Dude won the other day, the partnership is now in a position where we are a win/good finish or a claim away (or both) from being out of a financial hole and MIGHT be in a position to start making a little money. Which was the purpose of this entire experimental exercise.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Bold Article is the second choice on the morning line at 5/2 (Race #2 Friday at Keeneland: https://entries.horseracingnation.co...and/2020-10-23). Seems about right. The favorite will be Sunny Isle Beach, a Wesley Ward trainee owned by Ken and Sarah Ramsey. She won her debut at Churchill back in June and was fourth in a turf sprint at Saratoga in August. She put up an Equibase speed figure of 72 in both races. Bold Article put up a 68 speed figure in her win at Churchill, which was a 12-point improvement over her race on turf at Kentucky Downs and a 15-point improvement over her second place finish on dirt at Saratoga.

I know. I'm rationalizing.

There's a chance of rain.

Claiming price would be $40,000.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

It ended up being a three horse race. Bold Article had the lead at the top of the stretch, but she couldn't hold off Sunny Isle Beach and Golden Grant. She finished a respectable third and, according to the chart, 4 1/4 lengths ahead of the fourth place finisher.

She was NOT claimed. But the winner, Sunny Isle Beach, was.

Bold Article gets $2900 in purse money. Hey, that will cover her bills for the month.

Preliminary speed figure came in at 63--a drop of 5 points compared to her win at Churchill. Sunny Isle Beach posted a 71 while Golden Grant posted a 69.

https://www.equibase.com/premium/cha...20&cy=USA&rn=2

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021