Agree Agree:  7
Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Horse Racing Random Random

So, today is the opening day for the new Winter/Spring meet at Santa Anita. They were supposed to start the new meet on the 26th but delayed it a few days because of heavy rains. In any case, there are 11 races on today's card, including several graded and stakes races: https://entries.horseracingnation.co...ita/2019-12-28

Fingers crossed...
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Day 1 at Santa Anita was clean! No incidents.

Did they do anything to track surface before the new meet?

Also - congrats on the 1%. That is really exciting. I hadn't heard of that before. I have heard it for poker tournaments and for race car drivers. This is very cool and I can't wait to vicariously follow.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    Did they do anything to track surface before the new meet?

Also - congrats on the 1%. That is really exciting. I hadn't heard of that before. I have heard it for poker tournaments and for race car drivers. This is very cool and I can't wait to vicariously follow.
    Thanks! I am really excited about it. BTW, my horses now have names:

The Constitution filly is named Bold Article. She will almost certain be the first to race. She is already at the training center at Gulfstream.

The Brethren colt is named Run Brother Run. He is in the galloping phase--just getting started.

The same goes for the First Dude colt. His name is Tiz the Dude. (Great grandson of Tiznow on the dam's side.) He is also in the galloping stage.

::

As for Santa Anita, I'm pretty sure Day 2 of the new meet was clean as well. (In terms of the races; I cannot speak to what may have happened off track or in training.) I don't know if they have done anything to the track. If they have, no one has said anything. I THINK (but cannot prove) that most of the changes have been behind the scenes and have focused on the trainers.

I can also report that many of the top trainers have horses at Santa Anita and seem to be undeterred. Bob Baffert is there. Doug O'Neill is there (in a big way). Richard Mandella is there. (Mandella's Omaha Beach won his race at Santa Anita easily yesterday.) Jonathan Wong is there. Peter Miller is there. No one seems to be staying away. At least from what I can see.

That said, Todd Pletcher's horses are running at Gulfstream, Tampa Bay Downs, and Aqueduct in New York. Steve Asmussen has his horses in New Orleans at the Fair Grounds. The Florida peeps are pretty much staying in Florida. Chad Brown's horses are all over the place--but not Santa Anita, yet. Linda Rice is sticking to Aqueduct.

I am fairly new to this, so I don't know if this is unusual or if anyone is staying away from Santa Anita but would normally be there.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

BTW, I'm also giving some thought to getting in on the stable's pinhooking pool. Here's how it works... They will buy 3-5 fillies (they already have two yearling fillies, including a Run Happy filly [first crop of Run Happy]; they'll try to pick up more at the January Keeneland sale.) They will go into training but not be raced.

Then, they will be sold later this year as 2-year-olds in training. Since they won't race, the risk is minimal. The idea is solely about buying them cheap and selling them later this year at a higher price--and making money.

It's attractive. I'm just not sure I can swing it financially. And if I get in, I want to make sure I get in as late as possible because I'm not sure when I will actually get my return (if any). It may not be until September or November 2020. That's a long time to wait.

But I'm thinking about it. Especially because of the Run Happy filly. Run Happy foals are selling like hotcakes--but this one was a deal.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

So, this happened yesterday. It's a stakes race ($100K) but not a graded stakes race. The #2 horse, Chance It, is owned by the same syndicate I chose. This was really gutsy stuff.

Saffie Joseph (the trainer) indicated Chance It's next race would probably be the Holy Bull Stakes. Chance It is almost certainly headed to the Florida Derby--a key prep race for the Kentucky Derby. While I don't think Chance It will be a serious Derby contender and may not even make the field (he is a very awkward mover), it's fun that he is even in the conversation at all. He was only a $100K purchase as a yearling. He's already earned that back a few times over (not including his maintenance expenses).

But this was a TREMENDOUS race and is definitely worth a watch. His rail move on the turn heading into the stretch, orchestrated by Tyler Gafflione, was masterful. Purely masterful. And it was probably the difference between Chance It and As Seen on TV, who had to go three horses wide to get around a fading horse. Both horses showed incredible guts.

Not a good weekend at Santa Anita - 1 Fri, 1 Saturday, 1 Sunday

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I saw the one on Saturday. I meant to check Santa Anita's incident report (which is REALLY buried on their website), but I never got around to it. Besides, it didn't look like a fatal injury to me. What was especially sad about it, though, was that it happened near the end of the stretch. The race was almost over.

Sidebar: All three horses were geldings.

Note to self: The trainers of the horses that were injured during a race were Peter Miller and Val Brinkerhoff. I don't know much about Brinkerhoff, but Peter Miller is a highly regarded trainer.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Another sidebar, and this is frightening: The overwhelming majority of last year's deaths at Santa Anita occurred on the dirt--not the turf.

One item that was interesting to me is that Churchill Downs had a higher rate than Santa Anita (2018 and prior)

Quote Originally Posted by fastbackss View Post
    One item that was interesting to me is that Churchill Downs had a higher rate than Santa Anita (2018 and prior)
    Yeah. It was said last year during some of the worst of the controversy, that plenty of the other racetracks were just standing in the shadows watching this play out and not wanting to butt in too much because plenty of racetracks if put under the same microscope that Santa Anita has had on them in the last year, would expose some alarming discoveries as well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234