Agree Agree:  27
Likes Likes:  88
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Horse Racing Random Random

This was the Race of the Day. Not only was it a great race... But the fact that six betters went into the race with live tickets on the Jackpot Pick six on 6 different horses made this especially dramatic.

Those betters were live on the 1, 4, 5, 10, 11, and 12 horses. But only one would prevail--and dash the hopes of all the others.

The payout for the winning better?

$129,935.80.

The 4 horse, Ostini, won. He was 10/1 on the morning line and went off at 13/1. The 1 horse was second. The 5 horse was third. The two people left holding the losing tickets on the 1 and 5 horses are passed out in a gutter somewhere. Together.

FYI, the jackpot is for betters who pick just 1 horse in each of six races. So it is quite an accomplishment.

Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I am just now seeing that Del Mar canceled racing for this weekend. It didn't take long for me to figure out why... 15 jockeys tested positive for COVID-19. That was after Flavien Pratt and Victor Espinoza announced positive tests.

One of them was Umberto Rispoli. I mentioned him here a few weeks ago. All indications are that all jockeys are doing fine.

Mike Smith was also at Del Mar but tested negative. He is currently at Monmouth Park in New Jersey and set to ride Bob Baffert's Authentic in the Haskell on Saturday. I am not sure why that was allowed. I guess Bob really does get whatever he wants.

https://timesofsandiego.com/sports/2...ovid-positive/

::

Sidebar: Because of this news, several tracks have enacted a new policy which basically states that jockeys have to pick a home track and stay there--and not travel around all over the United States as they have been used to doing. These tracks include Indiana Grand, Sarasota, and apparently Del Mar.

BTW, Mike Smith was in Keeneland last weekend to ride the famed Brazilian filly Jolie Olimpica. As was Irad Ortiz, Jr., who is now in Sarasota but was in Belmont the week before. I mention that so you all get a sense for how some jockeys tend to go wherever the money is in a given week.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

This was easily the Race of the Day--at least based on the races I saw. Starting with the turn and down the stretch, I thought at least 5 different horses at different times had this race locked up. But often there's that horse that just swoops in from the sky, which is basically what happened here.

The favorite was the 3 horse, Heir Ball.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Well, it's official. Barring unforeseen circumstances, my filly, Bold Article, will make her debut in the third race at Gulfstream Park on Thursday, July 23. She will go 8 furlongs (1 mile) on turf. Saffie feels strongly that she wants to run longer distances rather than sprint distances, and he much prefers to debut horses on turf rather than dirt because the turf is easier on them, especially at a longer distance. There is a total of nine entries in the race.

So... Here we go! And here's hoping she draws a good post position. (Usually, a first-time starter never wants the 1 post or the outside post... Though at a 1-mile distance, it doesn't matter as much because you have more time to gain ground than in a 4.5- or 5-furlong race.)

Good luck! We'll be expecting the video here.

Funny you say barring unforeseen circumstances ... and I think is Unforeseen Circumstances another horse?
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Good luck @dryrunguy a filly is horse under 4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post

Funny you say barring unforeseen circumstances ... and I think is Unforeseen Circumstances another horse?
    I wish I could share the racing form here, but it won't let me.

There are six fillies in the race with at least 1 race under their belts.

One (Liesel) has raced twice and managed a second place finish in her last race on dirt at a much shorter distance. They are dumping the jockey from the first two races (Juan Alvarado) for Emisael Jaramillo, which tells me they want to get her more forwardly placed earlier in the race. After watching both of her races, I think Liesel wants more real estate to run into rather than sprint distances. She is bred and owned by Arindel, so you have to respect that.

Another, Director's Cut, finished a distant second in her debut on turf. She was beaten by a good horse, but I didn't get the sense she wants to run long. We'll see.

Then there are two other first time starters. One of those, Alexandra Am I, is trained by Antonio Sono, who has a really good win rate with first time starters.

The one that REALLY scares me is the other first time starter, Sleek Lynx. She's trained by Mark Casse, will have Hector Berrios on board as jockey (he's a good jock), and she is British-bred. She is bred specifically for the turf and for distance. While my filly has consistently posted faster works than Sleek Lynx, I don't put much stock in that, especially since neither of them has posted works longer than 5 furlongs (this race will be 8 furlongs), and all of their works have been on dirt, not turf. (As I understand it, you can't breeze on turf at Gulfstream unless you're preparing for a stakes race.)

So, while Bold Article has posted the fastest work at 5 furlongs and second fastest work at 4 furlongs, it doesn't really mean much going into an 8 furlong race.

I'm pretty sure I won't sleep much between now and Thursday. But I just want her to get through the race okay. And have a respectable performance. But it is not at all uncommon for a horse to need a race or two (or 22 in some cases) to figure it out.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    Good luck @dryrunguy a filly is horse under 4?

A filly is a female horse that has not yet borne a foal. Bold Article is only a 2-year-old. If her racing career doesn't go well, she'll probably start having foals around age 4 or 5.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

BTW, Marcos Meneses will be the jockey on Bold Article on Thursday. He was the rider of the #4 horse in the Race of the Day video I posted earlier today.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post

Actually, the best example of an unforeseen circumstance would be precisely what happened today at Gulfstream and can happen at any time at Gulfstream... Heavy, overnight rain, forcing all turf races to be pulled off the turf and moved to the muddy main track. Running in mud is a completely different ballgame, and I don't think it would be a good idea for a first-time starter going a mile.

So if the race gets pulled off the turf, I hope Saffie will scratch her. The Constitution babies are great on the dirt and respectable on the turf. But they don't seem to care much for slop. Slightly wet tracks? Maybe. Mud? I don't think so. But if you asked three different handicappers whether or not the Constitutions like the slop, you'd probably get three different answers.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Race of the Day--for purely selfish reasons. Trainer Saffie Joseph and jockey Marcos Meneses (the same combo that will be behind my horse on Thursday but with different ownership) teamed up to win a maiden claiming race for 2-year-olds today at Gulfstream. This was a 5-furlong race on dirt (just over 1/2 a mile).

The big difference here is that the winner, Awesome Gerry, was for sale. Bold Article will not be for sale via claiming on Thursday. But it was still a fun race. I made a profit of $11.40 on it.

I'm not sure why they would give up so quickly on a son of Liam's Map.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Bold Article had a safe race and finished 5th. That was after getting mugged by the 5 and the 2 on the far turn, at which point Marcos has to check her a bit. The 5 went on to win with the 2 finishing second. The 5 horse also survived an objection from the 2 even though the 5 was all over the track and clearly slammed into the 2 before the wire. But you can't really see that from the side view. The head on view, though, was pretty darned messy.

I'll post the video once it goes up on YouTube.

I'm proud of her. Most importantly, I'm glad she got through it safely, especially after what happened on the far turn.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Okay. The video is up. You'll see the mugging at about 1:26. She is the #8 horse.

After breaking a little slowly and being pretty far back (not even in the picture for a bit), Bold Article made up a good bit of ground on the backstretch and had fantastic momentum going into the second turn. She was in the hunt. But it all went to hell when Marcos had to tap on the breaks on the second turn.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Okay. The video is up. You'll see the mugging at about 1:26. She is the #8 horse.

After breaking a little slowly and being pretty far back (not even in the picture for a bit), Bold Article made up a good bit of ground on the backstretch and had fantastic momentum going into the second turn. She was in the hunt. But it all went to hell when Marcos had to tap on the breaks on the second turn.

Good first race , good momentum into the second turn .

Nothing to be ashamed of there! Must've been exciting when she got back into it!
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314