Agree Agree:  20
Likes Likes:  60
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Horse Racing Random Random

Multiple Jockeys Affected By New Coronavirus Restrictions At Oaklawn, Gulfstream

In the past few days, multiple jockeys have had to alter plans, miss race days, or go into quarantine in response to regulations put in place by both Oaklawn and Gulfstream Park, two of the few racetracks still holding live racing.

Oaklawn sent jockeys a letter on March 19 detailing some of the new regulations, including that any rider who traveled to the Fair Grounds in New Orleans would have to quarantine for 12 days before returning to the jockeys room at Oaklawn, and that those riders would “be subject to increased medical protocols.” Florent Geroux posted the letter on Twitter:

Following Saturday's Louisiana Derby day card at Fair Grounds, track officials announced that they would cancel the remaining week of the meet to comply with the New Orleans mayor's order to stay at home.
    Jockey Ricardo Santana Jr. rode at the Fair Grounds on Saturday, including the favorite in the Fair Grounds Oaks, and was told he'd have to sit out from Oaklawn's races for 12 calendar days.

Oaklawn-based Chel-c Bailey was set to ride the card at Will Rogers Downs on Monday, but decided to take off her mounts when Oaklawn officials warned her that she would be subject to the same quarantine. Ty Kennedy, who rode at the Fair Grounds on Saturday, was also scheduled to ride at Will Rogers, so Bailey could have had contact with him in the jockey's quarters.

Gulfstream has not implemented any regulations regarding jockeys traveling back from the Fair Grounds. Julien Leparoux, Joe Bravo and Joel Rosario all rode in New Orleans on Saturday and then at Gulfstream on Sunday.

However, Gulfstream has initiated a rule requiring jockeys to arrive in Florida by Sunday night in order to ride this week's cards, according to drf.com.

“We don't want people from all over the United States coming into our jocks' room,” Bill Badgett, executive director of Florida racing operations for The Stronach Group, told drf.com. “Totally a [Jockeys'] Guild decision. They were a little bit nervous about guys flying in from New York.”

Javier Castellano, Manny Franco and John Velazquez all made the deadline to ride at Gulfstream this week, but Junior Alvarado, who rode at the Fair Grounds on Saturday, did not.

“That caught us off-guard,” Alvarado's agent Mike Sellitto told drf.com. “We were originally told we had to be there Tuesday night. At the last minute they told us Sunday night.”

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/p...wn-gulfstream/
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

For context, the current Gulfstream meet is scheduled to end on Saturday, which is when the Florida Derby, typically a prep race for the Kentucky Derby, will be run.

Gulfstream Says Reported Threats Of Legal Action Over Potential Shutdown Are ‘False’

Things are getting ugly in Florida.

According to a report in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel Tuesday night, Hallandale Beach Vice Mayor Sabrina Javellana believes Gulfstream Park may be in violation of Broward County's order requiring non-essential businesses to close to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Javellana said the track had threatened legal action against the city of Hallandale Beach if officials try to shut down racing. Javellana said Broward County has indicated it is up to the city and its police department to enforce the order.

Bill Badgett, executive director of Florida operations for The Stronach Group, owner of Gulfstream Park, categorically denied any threat of legal action.

“Our priority during these challenging times is the health and well-being of our employees and the horses we all love and care for,” Badgett said in a statement issued Wednesday morning. “Racehorses are living, breathing animals that require constant supervision and care. It would be detrimental to their health, safety and welfare to stand in their stalls without daily exercise. There are over 3,200 horses that call Gulfstream Park home and our training and racing is being conducted by essential personnel only who are operating under stringent measures for protection that are aligned with the best guidance from health and governmental authorities. We value our relationship with the City of Hallandale and any suggestion of legal action during this time is false.

“On March 12, we voluntarily closed our venues to the public and we will continue to work with all stakeholders including city, county and state officials to ensure that we are in full compliance with all requirements for social distancing.”

The news report states at least 20 people are required to conduct a race card, which exceeds the maximum number of ten people allowed under the Broward County order. Neither the Sun-Sentinel nor Javellana address the stable area at Gulfstream, where hundreds of workers are required to provide daily care for the horses.

Javellana, a 21-year-old Florida International University student at the time of her election in 2018, describes herself on her Twitter profile as a “troublemaker.” She said violation of the order would be a second-degree misdemeanor.

“I just really feel for the jockeys, the cameramen, the different staff that go into putting together this operation who are going to have to come home, who probably don't want to go into work,” Javellana told the Sun-Sentinel. “It's just not the ideal situation, and they're not an essential business. I'm sorry to say but the Derby does not have to go on.

“The Olympics are being postponed. The horses can wait.”

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...s-down-racing/

Things are getting ugly? Well I guess we know what the Paulick Report Staff think should happen with their attempts to make it even uglier.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Santa Anita track shut down today until further notice at the order of the California Racing Association. It was overdue, but there were three daughters of American Pharoah set to face each other in today's seventh race, so that's a bummer.

They're still racing at Golden Gate, though. I'm not sure what's up with that...

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

If you happen to be bored, it's a phenomenal day of racing at Gulfstream Park--the last day of the winter meet. They have several stakes races in a row, three of which have already completed. But there are still 7 more to go, and the last race of today will be the Florida Derby.

Fun fact about this year's Florida Derby--the field features three sons of Constitution (one of the best sons of Tapit). His 2017 crop was his first crop. He is the sire of the morning line favorite, Tiz the Law (6/5), and two other serious contenders in Independence Hall (9/2) and Gouverneur Morris (8-1).

But keep an eye out for Ete Indien (4/1) and Candy Tycoon (20/1). I wouldn't have mentioned Candy Tycoon yesterday, but after Javier Castellano announced his positive test for Covid-19, Luis Saez picked up the mount. Saez is currently the #2 jockey for this meet at Gulfstream and has a slight chance to overtake Irad Ortiz for the #1 spot. (Irad chose to stop riding several days ago so he could self-quarantine with his family.)

Post time for the Florida Derby is 6:40 EST. But there are several good races between now and then. For example, Race 11 features a jam packed field of 3-year-old fillies--tremendous quality from top to bottom.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

P.S.: If you don't get TVG, you can watch the races on FS1. (That's channel 219 on DirecTV.)

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The 2020 Florida Derby. It was over roughly half-way through.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

But this was the race of the day. Gulfstream Race 12, Kitten's Joy Pan American Stakes. The 9 horse, Zulu Alpha, was the heavy favorite.

Man, I miss making bad bets on horses just because I like their names. Don't Poke the Bear would have been irresistible to me.

Dry, how are your yearlings doing? How often do you get updates on them?

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    The 2020 Florida Derby. It was over roughly half-way through.
    Nowhere near as exciting as the race of the day, but that wasn't bad! I was expecting one horse by itself halfway through and just watched to see what kind of blowout it was.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    Dry, how are your yearlings doing? How often do you get updates on them?
    They are 2-year-olds now! All horses age up a year on January 1 each year.

I get updates about once a month. All three are galloping now and learning how to break from the gate. The Constitution filly, Bold Article, appears to be ahead of my colts (Tiz the Dude and Run Brother Run) in terms of her development. She will almost certainly be the first to race. (IF she gets to race this year.)

Bold Article is a specimen. See below.

Bold Article.jpg

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Nowhere near as exciting as the race of the day, but that wasn't bad! I was expecting one horse by itself halfway through and just watched to see what kind of blowout it was.
    That was my fault for how I introduced it. I know both Tiz the Law and Ete Indien pretty well. When Tiz the Law is allowed to sit in a stalking position like he was today, he's going to sting you. So yes, this race was over before the final turn. Ete Indien needed to be ahead by 8 lengths at least before the final turn.

That said, I'm not sure Tiz the Law is Authentic or Nadal material. But it's all a moot point now with the Kentucky Derby being delayed until September and the Preakness and Belmont still up in the air (but almost certainly equally screwed).

Is Tiz the Dude a bay?

Was just reading his great-granda's wikipedia page, which is entertaining. Especially this part:

Tiznow is known as a quirky horse. Especially towards the end of his career, he was sometimes reluctant to work in the mornings, including one occasion before the 2001 Breeders' Cup where he spent 40 minutes resisting jockey Chris McCarron's urging to break into a gallop.[6] In the WinStar stallion barn, Tiznow learned how to unlatch his door to let himself out into the main hall.[3] He does not like the feel of concrete on his feet and will adjust his steps so he doesn’t have to walk over it. Tiznow also does not like cold weather and is usually kept inside if the temperature goes below freezing. "He's a California horse all the way," said Amy Nave, a bloodstock assistant at WinStar. "I think in a way it shows how intelligent he is."[7]

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    Is Tiz the Dude a bay?

Was just reading his great-granda's wikipedia page, which is entertaining. Especially this part:

The last pic I have of Tiz the Dude was from the auction. Cant' get it to post. He is a son of First Dude out of a lightly raced Tiznow granddaughter. And yes, he's a bay.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast