Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: ATP M1000 Shanghai 10/6 - 10/13 2019

I felt that the umpire over did it a bit, but that is the rule. Roger hit the ball out of the court.
    What I thought was unusual was that Roger did not let go the incident. I wondered how that affected him (he lost, after all)
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I felt that the umpire over did it a bit, but that is the rule. Roger hit the ball out of the court.
    What I thought was unusual was that Roger did not let go the incident. I wondered how that affected him (he lost, after all)
    It set up 2 double-break points for Zverev, so it was a huge point in the match, which probably explains his frustration (although I think the call was fair). I also think Roger isn't used to being disciplined like this. I loved it.

I feel a lot differently about Roger than I used to. I used to be a die-hard fan, but he's way too untouchable. Hang around long enough and you give people a chance to change their minds about you.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 10-11-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

I already think all the top players are prima donnas but Roger’s whole “why didn’t you just give me a harsh talking to” thing kinda gave the game away. Yes, the rules apply to everyone and seems to be increasing pressure to make sure that is the case . Rafa had to find out the hard way too in the USO final.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Saturday, October 12, 2019 Day 8

Center Court 1 Starts At 1:30 Pm

(6) Nicolas Mahut/Edouard Roger-Vasselin
    VS (2) Lukasz Kubot/Marcelo Melo
    Not Before 4:30 Pm
    (6) Stefanos Tsitsipas
    VS (3) Daniil Medvedev
    Not Before 8:00 Pm
    (11) Matteo Berrettini
    VS (5) Alexander Zverev

Show Court 3 Starts At 2:30 Pm

(8) Mate Pavic/Bruno Soares
    VS Jamie Murray/Neal Skupski
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    It’s odd that Nadal has a record of 11-1 against the trio of Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas (his one loss against the three was against Tsitsipas in Madrid), but Nole and Roger seem to have a lot more bother with them. But Rafa can’t beat Nole or Roger to save his life recently! Funny how these H2Hs work out sometimes
    It may have to do with Rafa's game being so sui generis. I know several players have said he is the toughest one to play because you can't practice with someone else who plays similarly.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

https://twitter.com/benrothenberg/st...416650244?s=21

Roger was really pissy about being asked about it in the press conference too. Maybe one of the rudest things I’ve ever heard him say in the press room (which actually speaks to his general politeness because it’s not THAT bad). I’d honestly be into a more grumpy-old-man Roger. It’s a little refreshing. There’s always been a bit of a “Saint Roger” narrative around him that has always been a barrier to me getting on the bandwagon.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

I LOVE Roger's sarcasm. He'd be right at home here on TAT.

I kind of like Medvedev. But there is not one single stroke that he hits that I do not find ugly as hell.
    His backhand, to me, is particularly repugnant. I mean aesthetically.
    Missing winter...

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Medvedev was outstanding against Zverev. This is only the second match I’ve seen of him but I find him so watchable

Daniil Medvedev Men's Singles Champion
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Daniil looks so different when his hair is combed.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    https://twitter.com/benrothenberg/st...416650244?s=21

Roger was really pissy about being asked about it in the press conference too. Maybe one of the rudest things I’ve ever heard him say in the press room (which actually speaks to his general politeness because it’s not THAT bad). I’d honestly be into a more grumpy-old-man Roger. It’s a little refreshing. There’s always been a bit of a “Saint Roger” narrative around him that has always been a barrier to me getting on the bandwagon.

He's always been like that. The Saint Roger narrative is just a narrative. For me, the fact that the narrative has always overshadowed the reality, with support from him and his PR team, is what's been a barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    He's always been like that. The Saint Roger narrative is just a narrative. For me, the fact that the narrative has always overshadowed the reality, with support from him and his PR team, is what's been a barrier.
    I see what you mean - he has had plenty of terse and snarky moments before - but givrn the amount he’s in the spotlight, I do think he truly is overwhelmingly positive and earnest, and that has driven the media’s reaction. I think it’s mostly honest. There’s probably a measure of deference and self-preservation, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I see what you mean - he has had plenty of terse and snarky moments before - but givrn the amount he’s in the spotlight, I do think he truly is overwhelmingly positive and earnest, and that has driven the media’s reaction. I think it’s mostly honest. There’s probably a measure of deference and self-preservation, too.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a genuinely good, nice person and I think his sarcasm, while sometimes prissy, is generally funny and on point. But I absolutely think he buys into the Saint Roger narrative and is happy when it gets touted. For which I don't even blame him much. And it's really impressive that it hasn't tempered his appreciation for the sport. It's just a bit of a turn-off for me (as a fan).

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think he is a genuinely good, nice person and I think his sarcasm, while sometimes prissy, is generally funny and on point. But I absolutely think he buys into the Saint Roger narrative and is happy when it gets touted. For which I don't even blame him much. And it's really impressive that it hasn't tempered his appreciation for the sport. It's just a bit of a turn-off for me (as a fan).
    Oh I see. That he plays along and exploits it. Yeah I can see that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123