Agree Agree:  8
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Re: Laver Cup Geneva 9/20 - 9/22 2019

Quote Originally Posted by atlpam View Post
    It is invitational, so it's possible that Kei and Schwartzman turned it down (Schwartzman did participate last year). Next in order: Anderson (injured), Isner, FAA, Raonic, Kyrgios, Fritz, De Minaur, Edmund, Shapovalov

Although they have a Coach's choice, I think the invites are based on ranking, so that suggests that some of the folks declined to participate. Sock is obviously a Coach's choice for the doubles.
    Does Edmund not count as European? (Brexit hasnít happened yet!)

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I think the imbalance just kind of overly drives home the indulgence aspect that you don't want highlighted.
    I disapprove of this message

Laver Cup Geneva 9/20 - 9/22 2019

Quote Originally Posted by atlpam View Post
    It is invitational, so it's possible that Kei and Schwartzman turned it down (Schwartzman did participate last year). Next in order: Anderson (injured), Isner, FAA, Raonic, Kyrgios, Fritz, De Minaur, Edmund, Shapovalov

Although they have a Coach's choice, I think the invites are based on ranking, so that suggests that some of the folks declined to participate. Sock is obviously a Coach's choice for the doubles.
    FAA declined. Wanted to play a tournament instead. Nishikori declined, too. I think for the same reason but not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-18-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Does Edmund not count as European? (Brexit hasnít happened yet!)
    I take full responsibility for that error
    My Happy Place

The battle of the century!

On one side: the entire top ten!

On the other side: some guys we found!

WhO WiLl WiN!?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    The battle of the century!

On one side: the entire top ten!

On the other side: some guys we found!

WhO WiLl WiN!?
    Team 8

Day 1 OoP

DAY 1, SINGLES - MATCH 1
    THIEM V SHAPOVALOV - 1PM

DAY 1, SINGLES - MATCH 2
    FOGNINI V SOCK

DAY 1, SINGLES - MATCH 3
    TSITSIPAS V FRITZ - 7PM

DAY 1, DOUBLES - MATCH 4
    FEDERER/ZVEREV V SHAPOVALOV/SOCK
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.Ē

― Frank Zappa

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The good news is there's always a Golden Girls marathon happening somewhere on cable...
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

I'm surprised at the chilly reception this is getting here. I'll have it on in the background while I'm working or cleaning up and it'll be a very good time. The hype is just hype (it reminds me of how both IW and Miami have spent a couple decades trying to make that "5th slam" thing happen but no one on Earth truly believes that). It's just some of the best in the world playing at 80% but pretending for the crowd that they're playing at 110%. I've never not found it fun.

But, yes, adding the women is such a logical next step that it's embarrassing that it's not already part of the event.
    Last edited by munchin; 09-19-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Laver Cup Geneva 9/20 - 9/22 2019

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    I'm surprised at the chilly reception this is getting here. I'll have it on in the background while I'm working or cleaning up and it'll be a very good time. The hype is just hype (it reminds me of how both IW and Miami have spent a couple decades trying to make that "5th slam" thing happen but no one on Earth truly believes that). It's just some of the best in the world playing at 80% but pretending for the crowd that they're playing at 110%. I've never not found it fun.

But, yes, adding the women is such a logical next step that it's embarrassing that it's not already part of the event.
    If I were home I would have it on in the background, too. I dont hate it. Just not drinking the Kool Aid. The World Team is just not that likeable. Thatís part of the problem for me. Never mind the bizarre situation of a player-owned management company putting on an ATP-sanctioned event. The arrangement is off-putting for me.

Iíve started to have low-grade irritation about Roger for not using his enormous influence to affect more change in tennis. With great privilege comes great reaponsibility - is that thet saying? Iím not sure he has fulfilled his responsibility. What has he stood up for? Has he ever stuck out his neck?
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 09-19-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    If I were home I would have it on in the background, too. I dont hate it. Just not drinking the Kool Aid. The World Team is just not that likeable. That’s part of the problem for me. Never mind the bizarre situation of a player-owned management company putting on an ATP-sanctioned event. The arrangement is off-putting for me.

I’ve started to have low-grade irritation about Roger for not using his enormous influence to affect more change in tennis. With great privilege comes great reaponsibility - is that thet saying? I’m not sure he has fulfilled his responsibility. What has he stood up for? Has he ever stuck out his neck?
    The part I highlighted and all of your second paragraph.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.Ē

― Frank Zappa

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

The Laver Cup will be worth watching just to see the new blue racquet Federer will be using.
    It's the same racquet as before, just in blue instead of black. The 'Laver Cup' edition.
    There is seemingly no end to marketing B.S.

And, sadly, I'm sure they'll sell thousands of them - at least.

Back in the good ol' days, a sucker was born every minute.
    Today, one is born every 7.3 seconds.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    If I were home I would have it on in the background, too. I dont hate it. Just not drinking the Kool Aid. The World Team is just not that likeable. That’s part of the problem for me. Never mind the bizarre situation of a player-owned management company putting on an ATP-sanctioned event. The arrangement is off-putting for me.

I’ve started to have low-grade irritation about Roger for not using his enormous influence to affect more change in tennis. With great privilege comes great reaponsibility - is that thet saying? I’m not sure he has fulfilled his responsibility. What has he stood up for? Has he ever stuck out his neck?
    AND then again, what has Rafa done to influence more change in tennis? What has Novak done? (Other than, not complaining that the surfaces of tennis have been changed so drastically that, for example, Rafa has found the one era in tennis when he could actually win two Wimbledon titles.) Etc., etc. Why is your low-grade irritation directed only at Roger? When have ANY of these greats stood up for and stuck their necks out for tennis? But, HEY, clearly at least you are making those in here with a constant anti-Roger-only bias happy.

Other than tennis academies and whatever, the only player in today's modern era of tennis I can think of who has truly done significant work to improve the game of tennis is Venus. (AND if anyone in here has other examples of players who have truly worked for the betterment of the game of tennis, please correct me- seriously. I may very well be wrong here.) Otherwise, it's also worth mentioning that Roger and Rafa (SEE, at least me of the anti-Rafa clique can make note of the good aspects of Rafa) and even Novak have made outside-of-tennis and even humanitarian efforts in other ways. For sure, I think it's been entirely and deeply ignorant that rarely if ever the men and women of tennis have ever really worked together. I have always wanted one tour for all tennis players, with all players getting the most support. (Good luck with that.) But, at least some players are making outside efforts, which seemingly is over-all much more important.
    Last edited by nelslus; 09-20-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

What is Bjorn Brog's role here? Rafa and Roger are the ones coaching Fabio.
    Or is Borg such a realist that even he thinks "heck, they have more Slams, RG's and W's than me, so what do I know?"
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    What is Bjorn Brog's role here?
    Geezer sex appeal.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast