Agree Agree:  11
Likes Likes:  7
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Davis Cup 2019

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Re: Davis Cup 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    Is this gimmick event garnering much attention from you guys? And at your respective places?

I feel like it's lost relevance in the media here. Sure, it's getting covered, but before there would be an entire week of build-up and it'd receive much more coverage and attention from the average person IMO. Now, I've heard no mention of it from people. And I couldn't be less invested. It's just meh.
    There’s been no mention of it in the UK, even with Murray playing. I’m not sure if it’s on tv here either though-although most news coverage right now is about what a shambles our politics (and royal family) is

The only talk about the gimmick other than its official twitter is from journalists who cover tennis and are on site. There is little to no fan commentary on tennis twitter about it except to complain that they can't see matches they would be interested in. One woman lives in Spain and was royally pissed that she had to use pay cable to see it.

Usually with DC fans point the way to the good matches. None of that is happening because very few can see live play.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

So do they recognize it as a failure and change ASAP or take the Trumpian approach of denying any problem at all and push through another couple of years until the investors pull the plug?
    Meet again we do, old foe...

So do they recognize it as a failure and change ASAP or take the Trumpian approach of denying any problem at all and push through another couple of years until the investors pull the plug?
    I vote Trumpian.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I vote Trumpian.
    Me too. Too much money and egos in play.

Federer and some others will still refuse to play. I'm wondering if Rafa will remain invested when it's not held in Spain and if other players might also skip on it if they see it falter.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

I vote change, just not sure about ASAP but within maybe 2 years I think it might revert back. Why? Timing is terrible for them. Some players are surely participating this year to be eligible for the Olympics next year. But 2020 Davis Cup? That's gonna be an even bigger bust than this is with a veritable "who's that" list of players showing up after a very long season (it'll be a week later than this week because of the Olympics). And that's when they've already admitted these changes were about getting top players.

Combine the bust this year with an even bigger bust next year and the ATP seemingly still not on board with this new format with their continued radio silence this week, I'd say they might admit defeat sooner than we think. Yes, that's a hope, but I actually do see it playing out this way.

Also, I'm not sure the players who were open to this new format will continue to be on board - Canada giving that walkover exposed a problem that might push player support more towards a return to the old - this is way too many matches in one week at the end of the season for the teams that advance. Old format had players in possibly 3 matches total, but usually only 2. Now, it's triple that I think.

Randy Walker
    @TennisPublisher

I texted a source in Madrid with the US contingent to find out that, indeed, the US-Italy dubs will be played. On FS2, the US #DavisCupMadridFinals TV rights holder, is showing Motocross biker Jonny Walker of GB breaking his arm and wrist for a second time today. No tennis update
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

TennisAustralia @TennisAustralia

After winning the first game, wrist injury concerns for @johnwpeers forces Australia to withdraw from the doubles rubber and wrap up action for today.

Rest up, John. The knockout stage awaits ��

AUSTRALIA 2-1 BELGIUM
    Davis Cup by Rakuten Madrid Finals
    @DavisCupFinals

Australia’s retirement while leading 1-0 in the doubles means a 6-0 6-0 win is awarded to Belgium in the Group D standings.

#DavisCupMadridFinals #byRakuten

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Randy Walker
    @TennisPublisher

I texted a source in Madrid with the US contingent to find out that, indeed, the US-Italy dubs will be played. On FS2, the US #DavisCupMadridFinals TV rights holder, is showing Motocross biker Jonny Walker of GB breaking his arm and wrist for a second time today. No tennis update
    It's on now.

Yesterday they showed snowboarding in between the tennis matches with not a notice of any kind after the first match or during the the snowboarding that tennis would resume soon. Really encouraging viewership.

Christopher Clarey
    @christophclarey

It's 1:25 a.m. in Madrid. Only honor is at stake and the Americans and Italians are preparing to start a doubles match. At least 300 are here in Stadium 2 to watch Sock-Querrey vs Bolelli-Fognini. But I have this section all to myself

Steve Tignor
    @SteveTignor

Chris Clarey pulling an all-nighter with the Italian & U.S. Davis Cup teams in Madrid. Deciding doubles rubber just started at 1:30 in the morning. Fognini d. Opelka, Fritz d. Berrettini to make it 1-1. On Fox Sports 2 in the States.

― Frank Zappa

Doesn't quite look like the crowd in Perth for the Fed Cup Final

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Doesn't quite look like the crowd in Perth for the Fed Cup Final
    For the stage of the competition they're in, I think the actual comparison would be the earliest matches in February, in a dead rubber, which would probably be canceled.

If you look at it that way, the pictures are identical!

Davis Cup- Wiki.png

There's one day left of RR, and I think there will also be one QF match tomorrow. I've been looking at the updated Wikipedia page to see who's already qualified. It's the winner of each group, plus the next best 2.

Spain, Australia, and Canada have already won their groups. I think Australia/Canada is the QF that will happen tomorrow.

Group A: Serbia and France will play for the group win.

Group C: Germany beat Argentina. Argentina beat Chile. Germany needs 1 match from Chile to win the group.

Group E: Kazakhstan and Great Britain will play for the group win.

Already eliminated: Japan, Croatia, Chile, Colombia, Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, USA

Currently Next Best 2: Russia and Argentina. Russia is almost a lock. Solid chance Argentina gets passed.

Out of the 5 countries battling for their group win, it looks like France is the only one with zero shot at getting one of the 2 WCs if they lose.

David Law
    @DavidLawTennis

Loads of stuff doesn’t work / needs work, in Madrid. The app, the scoreboards, the schedule, the early hour finishes, the TV distribution to the US, the rules re doubles forfeits.

But the basic ingredients for making Davis Cup the ‘Team Slam’, a true World Cup, are there.

In 15 years, there’s only ever been one match between any of Murray, Djokovic and Nadal in the Davis Cup.

Make a proper, sensible space for it in the calendar, get the ATP Cup and Fed Cup to come in with them to make it one big event, make it longer, make it work.

― Frank Zappa

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456