Agree Agree:  29
Likes Likes:  29
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bianca...

Re: Bianca...

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    What in hell is the rush?? Are you all that tremendously desperate for a new hero?
    Yes. After the Garbiñe flash in the pan and the Sloane 15 minutes of fame and the Osaka extra brief tea ceremony, you bet some people want a new face to root for.
    I for starters, am tired of waiting for Julia Goerges to fulfill her destiny. Tired, I am telling you
    Missing winter...

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    We are talking about a potential of greatness (Azarenka or Halep type greatness, not Serena's)... But anyway further discussion at this time is pointless. I'm convinced that I'm right and you are not. Only time will tell whether it's so or not.
    I agree with you . Personally I have seen enough to know she can be in that group ( azarenka , Halep type greatness) .

You absolutely do not need to wait two years to say that .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

I had an interesting little chat with Louis Borfiga today. For those who don't know the name, Borfiga is essentially the person most responsible for the surge in Canadian tennis players in the pro ranks over the past decade or so. He is from France, but has been working in Canada for Tennis Canada for the past 12 years or so.
    He is the 'vice president of high performance development' or some such, and is credited with being the main influence which has resulted in the Canadian players - male and female - we've seen in the top 20 over the past 10 years or so.
    He was in Bianca's 'player's box' for the US Open Final.

I had an opportunity to talk with him today, and I asked him point blank if he believes Bianca will still be among the top 15 players in the world in 3 years. He looked at me and said with the utmost assurance "She'll be #1 or #2 in the world over the next 3 years. She's so much better than the other female players. The other female players in the top 10 don't impress me - they are all very inconsistent. And Serena is declining."
    Of course, he is bound to be somewhat biased, as Bianca is one of his 'products' (I use the word 'products' in a positive sense).

He then asked me where I think Bianca will be in 3 years. I said "Honestly, I see her path as being similar to Genie's path - but Bianca won't fall as far as Genie has fallen." He was surprised to hear me say that. He said "Really? Why do you think that?" I said "I simply don't see anything exceptional in her. She has more variety in her shot selection than most other women players - but beyond that, I'm not impressed - I don't see anything special."

I asked him if he felt before the US Open that she could win it. He said "Well... I knew that she had a chance to win it. It was still a pleasant surprise that she won it - but it wasn't a complete surprise or anything - I knew she had a chance."

Shortly after that conversation, I saw Bianca walking toward me. She was alone. She was going from the indoor gym to the locker room, basically (and then to practice on an outdoor court). I knew what I wanted to say to her if I got the chance to speak with her - I was going to say "Hey, aren't you that Canadian girl who was going to play a tournament in New York City or something?" She would have probably given me a look and said "Well... yeah! Duh!" Then I was going to say simply "So how did you do in that tournament?"
    I would have done it all with a straight face, looking serious (at least I would have tried - maybe I would have cracked up laughing as I was saying it.)

But Bianca was busy texting as she came toward me and passed 2 feet from me - it just wasn't the right context to do something like that.
    The reason I wanted to do that was to maybe help bring her down to Earth a little - because for the past few weeks, all she's heard from everyone is that she's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And the arrogance is surfacing, with her saying over and over to the media and to fans "This is only the beginning!" - meaning that she feels she's going to continue winning Majors, etc. There's a difference between a sincere confidence and arrogance - and that kind of stuff is blatantly arrogant.

In the end, I just looked at her and ignored her as she passed by me - it was the second time this week that I had seen her and had the same benign reaction as I have when I see an anonymous stranger - and having someone ignore her I feel was better for her in the long run than simply going 'gaga' over her, as seemingly everyone else has done over the past few weeks.
    A swelled head and large ego is never a good thing.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 09-19-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Well thank you for ignoring her then! Glad her long term has been taken care of now
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Bianca...

Thank you for ignoring her . We all know she needs the support of complete stranger :lol: :lol:.... Bravo Bravo Bravo

I am surprised, Borfiga said the samething in March ......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by omess; 09-20-2019 at 05:44 AM.

Good post Deuce. My $0.02:
    Two of the three most successful WTA players of the last 15 years are not short in arrogance. I dislike them both completely for that reason but the results are there and I cannot ignore them. So if you believe that arrogance will work against her, there are enough samples of players with plenty of it doing quite well.
    Missing winter...

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

It's totally natural to like and dislike players at an impulse level for good or not good reasons.

Everyone indulges in that to varying degrees.

Ultimately legacies only get evaluated at the end of careers. Preliminary evaluations are never too meaningful except as a fun prognosticator aside.
    I disapprove of this message

Thanks Deuce*. What you did is kind of the NYC attitude towards the rich and famous and I get it. It's why so many of them live here. NY'ers could give a rats patootie about them being special. They can be anonymous and live normal lives.

By next year this time the tour will have figured her out. Let's see how she fares then.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

― Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    Thank you for ignoring her . We all know she needs the support of complete stranger :lol: :lol:.... Bravo Bravo Bravo
    ^ She was walking (alone) toward me when I was the only person in that specific area. She is very accustomed now to be applauded, 'worshipped', etc. by pretty much everyone these days - so someone ignoring her 1-on-1 like that is something she'd likely notice.
    Context is important...
    And maybe - just maybe - the realization that not everyone views her as the second coming of Jesus Christ will bring her down to Earth just a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Good post Deuce. My $0.02:
    Two of the three most successful WTA players of the last 15 years are not short in arrogance. I dislike them both completely for that reason but the results are there and I cannot ignore them. So if you believe that arrogance will work against her, there are enough samples of players with plenty of it doing quite well.
    ^ Indeed, Serena said during the US Open that her winning her 24th Major is "inevitable".
    But such arrogance is by no means an essential ingredient in success. One need only look over at the men's side and observe Rafa and Roger to see that. Both of them have accomplished much more than Bianca has (and very likely much more than Bianca ever will accomplish), yet they are humble and respectful of the game - and always have been.
    It is entirely possible to be a very good player, and be confident and humble at the same time.

That said, being arrogant after winning several Majors, and after spending some years inside the top 10 is one thing... Bianca is still very new to the tour. Granted, she has played well for 6 months. But arrogance at this extremely early stage of one's career is out of place. Bianca makes it sound like tennis is easy for her; that winning Majors is easy for her... her "This is only the beginning" is akin to Serena's "Winning my 24th Major is inevitable". It's disrespectful to other players, and, more importantly, it's disrespectful to the game.
    And the fact that Bianca is still very young makes it even more disappointing, as the people around her should be teaching her to be more humble and respectful of her peers and of the game.
    Maybe the people around her are even encouraging the arrogance.

As I mentioned previously - confidence and arrogance are two different things. I love confident players. I don't like arrogant players.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 09-21-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Wait, Deuce thinks he did Bianca a favor by ignoring here?

Does he think, if she is as narcissistic as he claims, that she even noticed him in the hall?

Does he think she cried into her pillow all night long Tracy flick style -- wondering why some rando ignored her?

This thread is entering into a reality all it's own and I say, die thread die!?!

Seriously, WTF? I can't recall another trash thread on TAT that has gotten this much attention -- all powered by one man's hatred.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Does he think, if she is as narcissistic as he claims, that she even noticed him in the hall?

Does he think she cried into her pillow all night long Tracy flick style -- wondering why some rando ignored her?

This thread is entering into a reality all it's own and I say, die thread die!?!

Seriously, WTF? I can't recall another trash thread on TAT that has gotten this much attention -- all powered by one man's hatred.
    ^ If you have an actual opinion on the subject of this thread, why don't you write it out intelligently, rather than resorting to the nonsense you posted above? Try engaging in intelligent discussion instead.
    There is no need for this thread to 'die'... several people have contributed intelligent and thoughtful perspectives within this thread. You might wish to try it yourself.
    No mature adult would see what I've written about Bianca as 'hatred' - that's just a ridiculous embellishment on your part, designed to impress a certain type, I suppose. Exaggerating to make 'your point' is simply a form of manipulation.

Yes, Bianca did notice me, and therefore noticed that I paid no attention to her. I was there - I know what happened. I also understand psychology; I enjoy looking beyond the mere surface of things - and of people. You might want to try that yourself, as well...
    Of course Bianca will notice when someone ignores her in a context like that, because she is A) young, and B) very accustomed to getting infinite attention from everyone over the past few weeks. She expects people to go 'gaga' over her now... so when it doesn't happen, it's noticeable.
    It has nothing to do with me personally - if anyone would have ignored her in that same context, she would have noticed.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 09-21-2019 at 11:19 PM.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce* View Post
    ^ She was walking (alone) toward me when I was the only person in that specific area. She is very accustomed now to be applauded, 'worshipped', etc. by pretty much everyone these days - so someone ignoring her 1-on-1 like that is something she'd likely notice.
    Context is important...
    And maybe - just maybe - the realization that not everyone views her as the second coming of Jesus Christ will bring her down to Earth just a little bit.

^ Indeed, Serena said during the US Open that her winning her 24th Major is "inevitable".
    But such arrogance is by no means an essential ingredient in success. One need only look over at the men's side and observe Rafa and Roger to see that. Both of them have accomplished much more than Bianca has (and very likely much more than Bianca ever will accomplish), yet they are humble and respectful of the game - and always have been.
    It is entirely possible to be a very good player, and be confident and humble at the same time.

That said, being arrogant after winning several Majors, and after spending some years inside the top 10 is one thing... Bianca is still very new to the tour. Granted, she has played well for 6 months. But arrogance at this extremely early stage of one's career is out of place. Bianca makes it sound like tennis is easy for her; that winning Majors is easy for her... her "This is only the beginning" is akin to Serena's "Winning my 24th Major is inevitable". It's disrespectful to other players, and, more importantly, it's disrespectful to the game.
    And the fact that Bianca is still very young makes it even more disappointing, as the people around her should be teaching her to be more humble and respectful of her peers and of the game.
    Maybe the people around her are even encouraging the arrogance.

As I mentioned previously - confidence and arrogance are two different things. I love confident players. I don't like arrogant players.
    Do you really think you are that important ? If anything she was very happy that someone ignored her . I have seen plenty of players happy that they were not recognized ...

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Yes , I agree . I think it is time to close this thread

@dryrunguy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234