Agree Agree:  29
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bianca...

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Bianca...

I’m Canadian. And I don’t like Bianca.
    I really wanted to like her. I was hoping she would be a refreshing change from ‘Genie’, who is far more focussed on posting photos of her behind on ‘social media’ than she is on cutting down on her unforced errors.
    But I see that Bianca wants too much attention. She is too full of herself - already.
    Kerber called Bianca a ‘drama queen’ earlier this year. At the time, I felt that was a cheap shot from Kerber. I now feel it was an accurate assessment of Bianca.

It was during the Toronto tournament that I first saw things I didn’t like about Bianca. She was definitely overly dramatic - looking like she was dying on the court in every match, and then suddenly, magically being 'resurrected' and running down almost everything... saying in interviews that she’s been through ‘so many really hard times’ with injuries, etc. She sounded like someone who’s been on the tour and grinding it out for 20 years, and her body is now betraying her. But she’s a 19 year old kid who’s just starting her carreer.

She’s a good player. I like the variety of shots she uses - it’s a nice change from the norm. I don’t think she’s top 10 material in the long run, though - I think she’s doing well now mostly because she’s new on the tour and players haven’t figured out how to play her yet. When they figure out how to play her, I think she’ll settle in to have a relatively successful career somewhere between #30 and #50 in the world.

But I don’t like the way she talks about herself. I find it egotistical and arrogant. I don’t see any evidence of humility. I know she’s still young... but the indication is that she’ll be a ‘look at me’ ego-driven person, and that’s not good. I suppose the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree - her mother uses a small poodle as a fashion accessory to get attention - it’s way over the top (what kind of person brings a poodle to a tennis match in a stadium filled with thousands of screaming people?).
    Last week, a media outlet asked a few women players “If you could be anyone - living or dead - for one day, who would it be?” Svitolina replied “Buddah”. Bencic replied “Federer”. Bianca replied “Kim Kardashian”. As a fellow Canadian, that’s just downright embarrassing.

There is an upcoming Canadian female player whom I hope will be doing some interesting things on the pro tour in the coming years. She is on track to do that. She’s still junior age now, but has started playing pro level tournaments, and has done well in them. She’d be a refreshing change from Genie and Bianca. She is very humble and is just a genuinely sweet girl. Her parents are great - very well grounded. On the court, she has a focus and determination that I haven’t seen in any player in the past 25 years. She has a lot of confidence in herself - but it’s not at all an arrogant confidence, it is simply a quiet, humble, genuine belief in herself.
    I’ll withhold her name for now - but I hope that you’ll all know of her in a few years.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 09-06-2019 at 04:08 AM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Re: Bianca...

I am only rooting for her because on Saturday she is going against the mold of Drama Queens.
    But I find very little to correct from your post.
    And yes, I don't like her attitude when she wins her matches.
    I guess I will return to the ATP and enjoy the crop of fine young men coming up the... Wait.
    I guess I will take on badminton.
    Missing winter...

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

But she rescues puppies

(sidenote: whatever happened to Francoise Abanda?)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    But she rescues puppies

She's still around - toiling in the minor leagues - never been able to play at a consistent level and has struggled with injuries.

Not a fan of Andreescu, but in my opinion she's here for a long term. Likely will win a couple Slams, albeit not this week.
    Roger forever

I haven't seen nearly enough to "not like" her... and she's only 19, so maybe she settles down a la Agassi.

I do think she is strong mentally and on that alone she'll be around for the long run and competing for the biggest titles.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

At the moment, I have had a strangely similar arc with my impressions of Bianca with Osaka. I've rooted for them at times (I was rooting for Bianca last night at Ashe, as Bencic just bores me so much I forget to be bored- but, the crowd did mostly suck with their fervor over Bianca vs. Bencic, and she'd best learn how to just play great when a crowd is rooting against you- not easy of course, but if you ever want to win Slams....) But, currently, I can find Naomi annoying with what I view as her self-indulgent sulky moody diffidence- even noting that I was indeed impressed with how she treated Gauff, hoping that this wasn't just prior-to-the-match set up by her PR team to make herself more $fan favorite. And, in addition to the Lady MacBeth theatrics, for me Bianca WAY over-plays this Early Taylor Swift Days "GOSH, you mean I'M the big WINNER, how COULD that have HAPPENED to sweet lil' ol' me" disingenuous shtick. I'm surprised that she hasn't had unicorn holograms fly out of her ass after each big win.

BUT, as much as it pains me to agree with Bitter Rival Drop (), they are very, very young. So, I'll give them a bit of a grace period. AND I'm sure a part of this for me is I'm just bitter over Petra's Slam Disasters and Granny Venus falling apart. It just ain't so much fun when your big favorites disappoint, albeit I know that I am being fan-selfish here, obviously, with the horrors that V and Petra have faced. I just want my favorites to win, regardless, is all.
    Last edited by nelslus; 09-06-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Not a fan of Andreescu, but in my opinion she's here for a long term. Likely will win a couple Slams, albeit not this week.
    Safe to put your money on Andreescu tomorrow to win her first Slam
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Been playing a long while Deuce*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I am only rooting for her because on Saturday she is going against the mold of Drama Queens.
    ^ I very much agree - Serena has set the standard for over-the-top, 'please put the spotlight on me - PLEASE!' drama.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    She's still around - toiling in the minor leagues - never been able to play at a consistent level and has struggled with injuries.
    ^ Yes, Abanda is playing the 'minor league' circuit. And she's growing bitter with time, as well - likely due to her unfulfilled potential - which is itself due to injuries and just simply not playing well enough.
    She has an older sister who still plays, I think - but not in any commonly radar-tracked tournaments (mostly college stuff, I think). We used to hear about both of them at the same time when they were juniors. The sister's name is Elisabeth.

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    At the moment, I have had a strangely similar arc with my impressions of Bianca with Osaka. I've rooted for them at times... But, currently, I can find Naomi annoying with what I view as her self-indulgent sulky moody diffidence- even noting that I was indeed impressed with how she treated Gauff, hoping that this wasn't just prior-to-the-match set up by her PR team to make herself more $fan favorite.
    ^ No - Osaka is genuine. Arguably the most genuine (and refreshing) personality among WTA players.

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    And, in addition to the Lady MacBeth theatrics, for me Bianca WAY over-plays this Early Taylor Swift Days "GOSH, you mean I'M the big WINNER, how COULD that have HAPPENED to sweet lil' ol' me" disingenuous shtick.
    ^ I agree.
    She seems to be attempting to be both super-confident and humble and surprised at the same time - and the shtick isn't working.
    She is still young... but with the media giving her enormous attention, appointing her the 'next great thing', etc., her arrogance is more likely to get worse than it is to disappear.
    Last edited by Deuce*; 09-06-2019 at 05:14 PM.
    * Yes, it's me (last seen on TW boards in 2009).

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Safe to put your money on Andreescu tomorrow to win her first Slam
    I think Serena will get it done this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

I don't disagree with the Bianca assessment, but so far I'm more leaning towards thinking of her as "firey" and I feel bad about how many injuries she's already had and am nervous because of it. So she doesn't annoy me (yet.) She certainly would be nowhere near the level of the boorishness of a couple men we can all bring to mind easily.

Of course, I'm a Canadian who also overlooked Roddick being an ass all the time, so my opinion may be a little skewed!
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 09-06-2019 at 11:19 PM.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Geez, I never thought that hard about her. I simply see her as a determined young player with an incredibly well-rounded game.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

In Canada you can't help but think about her that hard! I'm more worried about her injury history than her attitude at this point.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

You all do realize that if we were tennis players, and judging by our posts here, we would all be considered super annoying as well.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Also, worst thread title ever!
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast