Agree Agree:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: USO 2019 Bracket Prediction Challenge

I would like to float a small change for next year past everyone:

What's the general thoughts about turning the bonus scoring into a tie-break only deal?

I had wanted initially to have some mid-tournament inputs to add some degree of interest beyond a flat bracket prediction that exists in multiple places. The game guesses on original conception were to be given when matchups were decided, for example. Making a slightly more "active" contest. But that proved a bit too challenging to implement, plus the expectation of short timeframe feedback (before play on a given day) from participants is probably unrealistic.

I was unsure if these late possible "mix-ups" with score activity added any real interest, or were rather just a source of frustration.

So I'd like to hear from the player base here about wether to relegate bonus scoring into a tie-break only flavor deal, or to leave it as-is. Thanks!
    I disapprove of this message

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

I never put any second thought into game predictions. Usually by the time we are at the round where we start doing the game predictions, only a few people are left in, so not sure if the game bonuses really make any difference or not... have they altered any final standings yet?
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

I have no strong feelings on this subject. BUT, I would slightly favor leaving it as it is, mostly speaking as someone who always does abysmally on this contest. Having the bonus points actually counting gives me something to look forward to when I am already certain to finish way down the list. I am pretty sure it doesn't usually determine the winner (look at me), but it does keep me in suspense about how I'll finish up to the end.

GH

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    I never put any second thought into game predictions. Usually by the time we are at the round where we start doing the game predictions, only a few people are left in, so not sure if the game bonuses really make any difference or not... have they altered any final standings yet?
    The majority of the time, no. But it has changed the winner a few times from a player with the highest non-bonus score during the couple years I ran it in this configuration. Which is why I'm wondering.
    I disapprove of this message

Well done on your victories fastbackss & Omegadoom!

Thank you James as always for your efforts with BPC. Very much appreciated

As for the possible scoring change, I'm fine keeping things as is. If you can reasonably guesstimate total games played in matches that are over a week from happening then that truly is a bonus to be rewarded.
    Last edited by the Moz; 09-09-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

I would vote to make the bonus scoring a tie breaker. To me, the contest is about picking the players who will be winning the matches. It always seemed a little bit off to me that a player who correctly picked a semi-finalist could get no more points from that pick than someone else who did not have either quarter-finalist correctly picked, but stumbled into picking the correct number of games for a match being played by other players. It is fine as a tie-breaker, but not a primary component of the final score.

I am fine with whatever you decide, and will definitely keep entering. I liked mysterX's use of the word "stumbled". If I ever win a bracket challenge, it will be because I "stumbled" into it, whether the game totals count or not. GH

Hmm. I need to noodle on this, and maybe look at some different scenarios.

Perhaps number of sets instead of number of games? And if you get the number of sets correct you get a bonus point? It would provide some differentiation but not a lot?

Perhaps lessen the reward for the points?

Only count points if the match is scored correctly?

I am sure there are others I could come up with...but I will stop here for now

One comment.....you all do a wonderful job running these contests, especially considering the pay you receive. So I'll be happy with whatever you decide, though I continue to favor slightly leaving it exactly as it is.

GH

Yay, and congrats to Fastbackss! Thank you James for running this contest!
    My beloved Budro: I'll see you again at the Rainbow Bridge!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12