Agree Agree:  17
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: ATP WTA GS US Open 8/26 - 9/8 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    About Ti's post #6 about NCAA champions.......I think I might be confused about that subject and would love it if someone could clear this up: I seem to remember a time (early 2000's maybe, and maybe before that) when the NCAA champion got an automatic wild card into the US Open. Then there were several years in a row when the NCAA champion was a foreigner playing at some college. Of course, there are scores of them. I think I remember that the USTA decided that they wanted their US Open wild cards to go to American players, and therefore, got rid of that automatic invitation. Is this what happened?

GH
    Glenn I'm not an expert but a few years ago there was a bit of controversy about players from Europe and elsewhere getting scholarships to play college tennis in the US. Many of them didn't go on to play in the pros. I think this is what Wertheim is referencing here. If it is your conclusion, that that automatic invitation was stopped, I think you're right.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Interesting that he felt the need to weigh in. As someone who has been the recipient of a healthy number of wild cards, and not coming off of injury I might add, I'd zip it if I was him.
    It seems he's saying what a lot of professionals are saying, that Paul "deserved" the WC. Brad Gilbert and other's replied by saying Slams have the right to give WC's however they see fit. Remember the controversy around Sharapova when she returned from her doping ban when the French wouldn't give her one?

It also seems he's coming out in defense of a friend who has played hard and met some of the criteria for getting a WC.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

ATP WTA GS US Open 8/26 - 9/8 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Glenn I'm not an expert but a few years ago there was a bit of controversy about players from Europe and elsewhere getting scholarships to play college tennis in the US. Many of them didn't go on to play in the pros. I think this is what Wertheim is referencing here. If it is your conclusion, that that automatic invitation was stopped, I think you're right.
    Yes I think this is what Wertheim means. In a podcast a few years ago, he or the guest said maybe 80% of Division 1 rosters are non-American, and more like 90% of the people who actually play (some people on the roster dont get playing time).

Itís in Division 2, also. Thereís a top Div 2 program in my neighborhood, a small private college. Of the menís and womenís teams, there is 1 American, and she doesnt play. The head coach and grad assistants are not American and came from NCAA tennis. They recruit just off the Internet by UTR and videos. Same at a lot of schools.

Not taking a position. But one school of thought is that if American parents think thereís almost no chance their kid will get a tennis scholarship, they wont even start them playing, and will choose a different sport. The talent pool for future American pros will shrink dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; 08-13-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    It also seems he's coming out in defense of a friend who has played hard and met some of the criteria for getting a WC.
    Well looking at the right places on Twitter, I'm going to go ahead and guess that Tommy Paul needs to get his ranking up on his own and will never get a wild card from the USTA if any part of the chatter I'm seeing is correct.

Related to this US Open. And match fixing. Doubles, not singles. Lost 0-6 0-6 in 35 minutes. Shortest men's doubles match in GS history.

https://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/ar...bles_play.html

Fritz and Paul are besties, so not too surprising

Also, I believe Paul was playing that doubles match with an injury, probably for the prize money
    Last edited by JTContinental; 08-13-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Which tells me more about Taylor than I wanted to know unfortunately and will lead to me not rooting on yet another American player. Almost positive Tommy is the jackass player who was going at Lauren Gibbs on Twitter some time ago and is full on maga. It's a freaking epidemic in American men's tennis.

As a further FU, Del Potro’s Withdrawal means Kudla is in with direct entry, and the wild card was then awarded to Christopher Eubanks

As a further FU, Del Potro’s Withdrawal means Kudla is in with direct entry, and the wild card was then awarded to Christopher Eubanks
    Yes, so this happening is what has people asking what the USTA has against Tommy Paul. And that's how I came upon most of the other stuff. Kept searching and found more. Though some of it is in direct response to Taylor's tweets. Interesting to see if this gets much wider convo, not the kind of thing Tommy wants looked at any closer.

Juan Martin del Potro (ARG) has withdrawn from the US Open due to his continued recovery from a knee injury.

American Denis Kudla moves into the main draw. American Chris Eubanks, a 23-year old Atlanta native and former All-American at Georgia Tech, will now receive the main draw wild card previously allocated to Kudla.

Tunisia's Malek Jaziri is now the first player out of the main draw.

###

Also, I believe Paul was playing that doubles match with an injury, probably for the prize money
    One other thing, Fritz did have an injury, which is why his ranking dropped and he needed wild cards.

Bellis is out, Zhu is in—Bouzkova next on the list

Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis has received a main draw wild card into the US Open through the USTA's reciprocal wild card agreement with Tennis Australia.

Kokkinakis, 23, was a US Open boys' singles finalist in 2013 and was ranked in the Top 70 as a teenager before dealing with a number of injuries over the last several years.

###

Beatriz Haddad Maia (BRA) has been withdrawn from the US Open.

Marie Bouzkova (CZE) moves into the Main Draw.

American Christina McHale is now the first player out.

###

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Bellis is out, Zhu is in—Bouzkova next on the list
    Fingers crossed for Bouzkova.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkAboutTennis View Post

Beatriz Haddad Maia (BRA) has been withdrawn from the US Open.
    Strange that it took so long to remove her. Am I missing something?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast