Agree Agree:  17
Likes Likes:  11
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: ATP WTA GS US Open 8/26 - 9/8 2019

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Carlos Ramos has had many, many other run-ins with players. My guess is that he's on that list that Rennae mentioned for several of them. Novak, Rafa, Andy, and of course Nick have all had multiple encounters with him over the years. The majority of those are probably many years ago now though, because my guess is he's not able to regularly call their matches in recent years.

As for Carlos Bernardes. I haven't seen him nearly as much through the spring and summer. Maybe I'm just watching different matches and he's been around on main courts as much as he always has, but I dearly hope I'm not seeing him because he got dinged big time for that absolutely horrendous call he made at the Miami Open against Kyle Edmund that gifted the match to Isner. It was one of the worst bits of umpiring I've ever seen.
    I guess I did miss things with Ramos. I vaguely recall something with Kyrgios, but I think every umpire has had a run-in.

As for Bernardes, I did a quick google search, and looks like he was in the Chair for the Montreal final (which I didn't see). I didn't realize he and Rafa had another tiff (they fought about time violations a few years ago) but it's now ok:
    https://www.essentiallysports.com/ra...f-7000-people/

Carlos Ramos has had many, many other run-ins with players. My guess is that he's on that list that Rennae mentioned for several of them. Novak, Rafa, Andy, and of course Nick have all had multiple encounters with him over the years. The majority of those are probably many years ago now though, because my guess is he's not able to regularly call their matches in recent years.

As for Carlos Bernardes. I haven't seen him nearly as much through the spring and summer. Maybe I'm just watching different matches and he's been around on main courts as much as he always has, but I dearly hope I'm not seeing him because he got dinged big time for that absolutely horrendous call he made at the Miami Open against Kyle Edmund that gifted the match to Isner. It was one of the worst bits of umpiring I've ever seen.
    ESPN on Backstory covered that Open final and it aired this weekend. Check it out on demand if it is available.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...-final-history

The one thing that the story reveals is that Carlos is a stickler for the rules. So what he did was not out of character in that final.

It also make the final point that history will sort of throw him under the bus as Serena spins that performance as her fake "I'm fighting for women's rights out here" nonsense.

The final point it makes is that the villain in this story is neither Serena or Carlos but the archaic tennis rules which allowed this to happen.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Worse than during the Olympics when Nishikori took a shower on a changeover?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Worse than during the Olympics when Nishikori took a shower on a changeover?
    I totally didn't see that so I can't say. Just by the description I'm guessing that one is worse. I'm positive we didn't let it pass when it happened so I'll edit this post with a link to the Miami thread that hopefully explains what happens.

ETA: @dry summarized Carlos B's terrible call at the Miami Open -

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum...l=1#post995312
    Last edited by JazzNU; Yesterday at 12:31 PM.

I totally didn't see that so I can't say. Just by the description I'm guessing that one is worse. I'm positive we didn't let it pass when it happened so I'll edit this post with a link to the Miami thread that hopefully explains what happens.

ETA: @dry summarized Carlos B's terrible call at the Miami Open -

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum...l=1#post995312
    OMG I did not know about that. I love your reply Jazz.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

ATP WTA GS US Open 8/26 - 9/8 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    ESPN on Backstory covered that Open final and it aired this weekend. Check it out on demand if it is available.

The one thing that the story reveals is that Carlos is a stickler for the rules. So what he did was not out of character in that final.

It also make the final point that history will sort of throw him under the bus as Serena spins that performance as her fake "I'm fighting for women's rights out here" nonsense.

The final point it makes is that the villain in this story is neither Serena or Carlos but the archaic tennis rules which allowed this to happen.
    Serena will have the final word.

I canít believe people want to watch this again. I donít even like to think about it. WHO has an appetite for this program? I just want it to go away.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; Yesterday at 05:29 PM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    Serena will have the final word.

I can’t believe people want to watch this again. I don’t even like to think about it. WHO has an appetite for this program? I just want it to go away.
    I have zero interest in watching. Rabid fans have talked about it to death, but it's still a massive story that will generate discussion and headlines. Plus, Serena was talking about it only a few months ago.

I just figured it was a way to advertise the US Open.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Amanda Anisimova out of the US Open due to the sudden death of her father

Hayley Baptiste's left knee is pretty solidly wrapped. Not like Naomi's knee was the other day but heavy support is being given that knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I have zero interest in watching. Rabid fans have talked about it to death, but it's still a massive story that will generate discussion and headlines. Plus, Serena was talking about it only a few months ago.

I just figured it was a way to advertise the US Open.
    Be as dismissive as you wish but as the link shows, they did get folks with pedigree to talk about it.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Pam Shriver just interviewed Bethanie Mattek-Sands on the court in the middle of her qualifying match while her opponent was on a bathroom break. It was clunky and surreal and I hope that they pull the plug on the idea completely (we get to listen to Bethanie talk about "mixing it up" and "focusing" and "taking it one point at a time" during the match instead of after the match, I guess is the appeal?).
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234