Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  7

New(wish) Tennis Channel Commentator

I've heard a new male commentator this week on TC. He was doing women's matches today. I missed the beginning so I don't know who he is. Does anyone know? HIs English is amazing with a non-native speaker accent. He might be a native Spanish speaker. It isn't Alex Corretja, is it?
    Thanks.

Kevin

Re: New(wish) Tennis Channel Commentator

I asked earlier in the week and didn't get an answer and TC does a very poor job of identifying who is calling the match if you miss the start and I've missed the start most days. But I was even watching when they took over a match and still have no clue who it is because they didn't say. Maybe I'll finally hear a name tomorrow.

But for whatever reason, I don't think it's Alex Corretja. Maybe I'm misreading it, but I didn't think it was anyone as successful as Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I asked earlier in the week and didn't get an answer and TC does a very poor job of identifying who is calling the match if you miss the start and I've missed the start most days. But I was even watching when they took over a match and still have no clue who it is because they didn't say. Maybe I'll finally hear a name tomorrow.

But for whatever reason, I don't think it's Alex Corretja. Maybe I'm misreading it, but I didn't think it was anyone as successful as Alex.
    Thanks. At some point I heard that name Alex, which is why I thought of Corretja. I googled it as well and couldn't find anything. TC doesn't list any new commentators.

If you find out who it is, I'd love to know. And if I hear, I'll post as well. Thanks.

Kevin

The case of the mysterious TC commentator is solved. It's Nicolas Pereira.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    The case of the mysterious TC commentator is solved. It's Nicolas Pereira.

Kevin
    I was about to post! I had to rewind like 5 times to make out what Mary Carillo said, but thankfully she said his full name.

I don't recognize his name.

Pereira was a pretty good Venezuelan player whose best surface was grass. I believe he won Newport once, and at Wimbledon one year he was up a break on Agassi in the fifth set but could not hold on to it. That would have been the biggest win of his career.

I liked his serve-and-volley game on grass.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    Pereira was a pretty good Venezuelan player whose best surface was grass. I believe he won Newport once, and at Wimbledon one year he was up a break on Agassi in the fifth set but could not hold on to it. That would have been the biggest win of his career.

I liked his serve-and-volley game on grass.
    Thatís fantastic recall. Coincidentally, I stumbled upon a poscast with him as a guest last night, but didnít listen to it. Itís an episode of Under Review with Craig Shapiro - which is a terrific tennis podcast, btw. Evidently Pereira won a few junior Slams, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Damn it. I was specifically watching for him today to see if I could figure out who he was, got all excited when I saw his name on the screen, and then came here to enlighten everyone. But you already figured it out... That's me... Always a step behind...

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Damn it. I was specifically watching for him today to see if I could figure out who he was, got all excited when I saw his name on the screen, and then came here to enlighten everyone. But you already figured it out... That's me... Always a step behind...
    You just have more of a life. But thanks for thinking about helping us out.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfan View Post
    Thanks. At some point I heard that name Alex, which is why I thought of Corretja. I googled it as well and couldn't find anything. TC doesn't list any new commentators.

If you find out who it is, I'd love to know. And if I hear, I'll post as well. Thanks.

Kevin
    There is someone named Alex Faust calling the Serena/Andreescu match. I do not know him.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    There is someone named Alex Faust calling the Serena/Andreescu match. I do not know him.
    Google search says he was a college player (Princeton) who then was an announcer for the NHL.

I heard the Alex guy last night. And this morning I heard Noah Eagle, who I assume is related to Ian.

A lot of new commentators. Even though they aren't all tennis players, I'm taking this as a good sign that Tennis Channel is finally moving on from Mr. Aggravated Assault.