Agree Agree:  32
Likes Likes:  59
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Re: WTA P5 Toronto 8/5-8/11 2019

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I don't pay any attention to Madison Keys, to be fair, unless she's in the later rounds of a tournament.
    Madison Keys also doesn’t pay attention to Madison Keys, even if she makes the later rounds.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Friday
    Singles - Quarterfinals
    [8] S. Williams (USA) d [2] N. Osaka (JPN) 63 64
    B. Andreescu (CAN) d [3] Ka. Pliskova (CZE) 60 26 64
    [Q] M. Bouzkova (CZE) d [4] S. Halep (ROU) 64 ret. (left lower leg injury)
    S. Kenin (USA) d [6] E. Svitolina (UKR) 76(2) 64

Doubles - Quarterfinals
    [2] G. Dabrowski (CAN) / Y. Xu (CHN) d T. Babos (HUN) / A. Kontaveit (EST) 67(0) 76(5) 10-3
    [6] V. Azarenka (BLR) / A. Barty (AUS) d [4] K. Flipkens (BEL) / S. Hsieh (TPE) 46 62 10-5

Saturday
    Singles - Semifinals
    [8] S. Williams (USA) d [Q] M. Bouzkova (CZE) 16 63 63
    B. Andreescu (CAN) d S. Kenin (USA) 64 76(5)

Doubles - Semifinals
    [1] B. Krejcikova (CZE) / K. Siniakova (CZE) d [6] V. Azarenka (BLR) / A. Barty (AUS) 36 63 10-4
    [3] A. Groenefeld (GER) / D. Schuurs (NED) d [2] G. Dabrowski (CAN) / Y. Xu (CHN) 60 63

Sunday
    Singles - Final
    B. Andreescu (CAN) d [8] S. Williams (USA) 31 ret. (upper back injury)

Doubles - Final
    [1] B. Krejcikova (CZE) / K. Siniakova (CZE) d [3] A. Groenefeld (GER) / D. Schuurs (NED) 75 60

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Andreescu will win this tournament and then will be out injured another four months...
    Sorcerer

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    I wonder if anyone’s scheduling choices get second guessed as much as Serena’s. She’s outlasted every one of her peers besides her sister and she has the most impressive record of the open era for crying out loud. I think it’s safe to assume she knows what she’s doing as much as anyone possibly could in her situation.
    I think you're talking about two different things. As far as outlasting her peers, I don't think anyone is arguing that taking time for a complete, varied life, as well as not playing 24 tournaments a year, is a huge part of why Serena and Venus are breaking or challenging all kinds of longevity records.

I think "should she have played ________ tournament?" is fair game.

Has any tennis player in history ever had such a pattern of playing and winning while significantly injured? Any athlete in history?

Can you think of a player who has had her own father/coach publicly tell the press she's too injured to play, and shouldn't be playing? (Richard did that at Wimbledon, at least once.) Or another coach (Mouratoglou) publicly tell the press she's too injured to also be playing doubles? Is there another player who has so frequently said after a tournament that doctors told her not to play?

Serena is a lighting rod for criticism and double standards, but schedule/health/playing injured is a topic where she's wildly different than the norm, and will go against her team's advice and medical advice, so I think debate should be expected.

Did it make sense for her to cry and be upset in that situation? Of course. She had pain, couldn't compete, and then had to sit for another half an hour through a stupid trophy ceremony, and give a speech. The players who can cavalierly retire during a final (looking at you, Henin and Davydenko) should not be role models.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910