Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: '19 Wmbldn Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Not the second set, either.

wth? I overslept...thought I would at least catch a good bit of a 2nd set but it's over? 2 & 2? what?

Fantastic play throughout from Simona. Congratulations to her!!

Quote Originally Posted by texasniteowl View Post
    wth? I overslept...thought I would at least catch a good bit of a 2nd set but it's over? 2 & 2? what?
    Simona played the defensive match of her life. She’s certainly finally learned how to play Slam finals. Serena still trying to remember
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    Awful match. Serena wasnít there and Simona overcompensated by being literally everywhere. I have just never seen Serenaís footwork look so bad. Iím worried about her.

Still an amazing performance on the other side of the net. Simona would have died out there to win a Wimbledon trophy.
    I agree, Simona would have died out there, Serena didnít seem to have the same intensity.

Simona played great, congrats to her!

Good on Simona!!
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

That poster who wrote that Halep or Svitolina would lose the final to Serena 3 and 2 almost came close to infamy with a reverse result, but Halep won 2 and 2 instead of 3 and 2.

Never understand why anyone thought Serena was playing well leading to the final. Riske took her to 3-all in the third set despite being an average mover with no improvisational skills at the baseline. The second Serena played someone who could extend points, it was game, set, match. Halep playing perfect tennis in a continuation of her last three-and-half sets accounted for the lopsided score, but she always was going to win that match provided she kept her nerve and Serena did not serve 20 aces. All tournament, Serena was in big trouble if she had to hit more than two balls on any point with the exception of her semifinal against a powerless, first-time grand slam semifinalist with an injury.

Any more Slams for Serena? I think if it doesn't somehow happen at USO this year the odds are under 10%.
    Roger forever

'19 Wmbldn Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Any more Slams for Serena? I think if it doesn't somehow happen at USO this year the odds are under 10%.
    Hard to say. I always thought it would be an ultra-dramatic finish. Maybe she retires then comes back at 40. Seems like she will have to play more throughout the year to be in top form at the Slams, and who knows if she is willing to do that.

Iím starting to believe her when she says she had made peace with never getting 24, and sheís still playing mainly because she really enjoys it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

If she gets in better shape through playing matches without getting hurt, Serena can win a hard court slam. Not sure it will happen, but she did make the U.S. Open final last year and was a point away from reaching the Aussie Open semis this year.

She just doesn't move well enough anymore to be comfortable against really good opponents on grass. The sure footing that hard courts provide will help her, but she needs to be able to play a lot (for her) so that her game does not break down under pressure.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

BTW, in case you missed it, Mahut got clobbered just above his left eye socket by a 120+ mph overhead (after the ball bounced). They had to stop play for 10 minutes for him to get treatment. Mahut and Roger-Vasselin then went on to win the first set tiebreaker.

Hopefully someone can find video. To watch it in real time at full speed is something fairly extraordinary. Mahut had zero chance to get out of the ball's way.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    BTW, in case you missed it, Mahut got clobbered just above his left eye socket by a 120+ mph overhead (after the ball bounced). They had to stop play for 10 minutes for him to get treatment. Mahut and Roger-Vasselin then went on to win the first set tiebreaker.

Hopefully someone can find video. To watch it in real time at full speed is something fairly extraordinary. Mahut had zero chance to get out of the ball's way.
    It was ugly!
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

I missed the match (will watch later today delayed) and glanced online and saw the score. I thought "well, Serena made short work out of that" without realizing it was Halep who won. I never thought she would beat Serena on grass 2 & 2.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyg View Post
    That poster who wrote that Halep or Svitolina would lose the final to Serena 3 and 2 almost came close to infamy with a reverse result, but Halep won 2 and 2 instead of 3 and 2.

That was me. And if my infamy resides with a Serena loss, well, I'll be happily infamous.
    Love you, Simona Halep. Simply love you.
    Missing winter...

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you have nothing else to do, the men's doubles final is fantastic. Two tiebreaks, 1 set all, very few break points, but oodles and oodles and oodles of deuces. All four men are playing incredibly well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast