Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  24
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: '19 Wmbldn Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    So what part of Novak's game troubles Roger so much? The way Roger played today, it's hard not to see him seriously challenging in the final. Is Novak's return too good to let Roger get his teeth in a point, or does it neutralize his serve?
    I think the problem is that Nole doesn't have any obvious weaknesses (Rafa does) and his serve is harder to attack on fast surfaces than Rafa's. Also probably a psychological advantage. The match is likely going to be fairly tight, but it's also likely that Djokovic will win most of the key points.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    So what part of Novak's game troubles Roger so much? The way Roger played today, it's hard not to see him seriously challenging in the final. Is Novak's return too good to let Roger get his teeth in a point, or does it neutralize his serve?
    For me, Novak's defensive skills are just too phenomenal. And, Roger can get head-casey over players (i.e., Rafa for so long.) I don't think he goes into matches against Novak with the needed confidence. (I've never been technically aware enough to figure out more specifics.)

One big thought that I've had is, how slow the grass has been playing would hurt Roger against Rafa. It will be interesting to see if perhaps slower conditions could find a way to actually help Roger? (LOL, probably the opposite, but I'm willing to grasp at any hope.)
    Last edited by nelslus; 07-12-2019 at 12:54 PM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I was fairly confident about Roger winning today, like 70% confident. Something has changed in this rivalry in favor of Roger in the last 3 years. Djokovic is a different story, though.
    Quite a slanted view of the H2H rivalry at this point. Easy for it to change in the last 3 years when among other things, it removes a certain surface from the equation. Roger is the favorite on grass between the two and nothing about that has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Quite a slanted view of the H2H rivalry at this point. Easy for it to change in the last 3 years when among other things, it removes a certain surface from the equation. Roger is the favorite on grass between the two and nothing about that has changed.
    Oh, come on. A lot has changed - Rafa used to win regularly on hard as well. Not anymore. If you think that doesn't mean anything then we just disagree.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Not sure quite what you are getting at here?

For years, the rivalry, very arguably, was slanted in Rafa's favor because they were playing so many of their matches on clay. Then, Rafa was beating Roger fair and square regardless of surface, 2008 Wimbledon final, 2009 Aussie final as examples. Now, it's been Roger's turn for whatever reasons- such as beating Rafa at Indian Wells, which on paper would not have been a given for Roger. Roger HAS figured things out the past 3 years vs. Rafa, as suliso stated. (ANY slight chance Roger had of beating Rafa at Roland Garros ended ages ago.)

I just thought that Rafa was going to win today out of his sheer determination. But, let's give them both their due. (Albeit I may be totally misunderstanding your point?)
    Last edited by nelslus; 07-12-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

By the way at the risk of stating obvious the other extreme in this match up where Federer has the greatest advantage is not grass, but indoor hard.
    Roger forever

BTW, it was such a joy watching some of the win for Stycova and Hseih today. They are so much fun to watch together, and I was so glad not to see Strycova hampered today after all of her ow-ies against Serena in the singles SF.

Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    For me, Novak's defensive skills are just too phenomenal. And, Roger can get head-casey over players (i.e., Rafa for so long.) I don't think he goes into matches against Novak with the needed confidence. (I've never been technically aware enough to figure out more specifics.)

One big thought that I've had is, how slow the grass has been playing would hurt Roger against Rafa. It will be interesting to see if perhaps slower conditions could find a way to actually help Roger? (LOL, probably the opposite, but I'm willing to grasp at any hope.)
    that counts as solid technical awareness to me!
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Federer back in sync to start the third set. Breaks to go up 3-1.

McEnroe mentioned that he'd never tried a Pimm's, so the producer had a couple delivered to the broadcast bunker.
    Quote Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
    Sewer water.
    I'm dating an extreme anglophile right now. It was an important milestone in our relationship when, a month in, I realized I no longer felt the need to choke down Pimm's to spare his feelings about that impotable pigswill
    Last edited by munchin; 07-12-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

I hardly ever watch these Big 3 encounters anymore because I find them to be snooze-o-ramas, but I actually saw this one, since I still had suicide pool interests at stake.

The quality was quite high, and Roger picked his game up significantly from earlier rounds. Going in to the SFs, I thought Nadal was playing the best of the three, and Roger was able to shut him down even though Rafa continued to play at a high level.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Ostapenko through to the mixed doubles final. I would absolutely love it if she wins the title.
    I'd love for Ostapenko to win the title, so there can be endless clips of her drilling her partner in the head multiple times. It might also be a nice boost for her mentally. Tennis would be better off if psychotic slam winners like Muguruza and Ostapenko were playing well at least occasionally.

Very happy for Ostapenko and Hsieh and Strycova. The latter pair played one of the best doubles matches I've ever seen in a clay-court tournament a couple months ago, but they have not won an event since then. They are ridiculously good when they have it going.

As for Djokovic, Federer struggles with him because he's simply a lot better than Nadal on any surface but clay. There's a reason Djokovic has lost two sets total in his last nine meetings with Rafa off of clay, and both came when he was still not sure of himself at Wimbledon last year. He does every single thing better than Rafa on grass or hard courts, but the biggest difference is his return. He puts Federer in a world of hurt on second serves and takes total control of the points.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234