Agree Agree:  9
Likes Likes:  26
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: '19 Wmbldn Day 7 OoP & Discussion

This is embarrassing to watch (I just turned it on and have it in the background).

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I wonder if Roger's going to be asked if he should have been bumped for Barty?
    I disapprove of this message

Roger just reached his 17th Wimbledon QF.
    Roger forever

Ouch. Wasn't expecting Barty, Pliskova, and Kvitova to all lose today.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I didn't see much of it, but the word on Twitter is that it was a high-quality match. Stats show more winners than UFEs from both women. From what I saw, Muchova was charging the net.
    It was a high quality match. Comments here are very much undercutting the great performance from Muchova today. She's not afraid of the big stage as she showed at least year's US Open and again today. Her game is very well suited for grass.

If you thought something insignificant like a loss was going to stop ESPN from their Coco Gauff coverage, think again. Despite there still being live tennis on the grounds, including a men's match in the 5th set and their ESPN colleague and popular tour player Bethanie Mattek Sands being on court in a mixed doubles match with little known partner Jamie Murray, they are instead replaying Wimbledon footage of Coco, footage of her leaving the grounds today, and a slo-mo montage set to dramatic music going into commercial.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 07-08-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Pella just took out Raonic after being two sets down.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    If you thought something insignificant like a loss was going to stop ESPN from their Coco Gauff coverage, think again. Despite there still being live tennis on the grounds, including a men's match in the 5th set and their ESPN colleague and popular tour player Bethanie Mattek Sands being on court in a mixed doubles match with little known partner Jamie Murray, they are instead replaying Wimbledon footage of Coco, footage of her leaving the grounds today, and a slo-mo montage set to dramatic music going into commercial.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Riske was far superior to Barty when the ball was in play today after the first six games. Barty had a break point for 5-1 in the first set and was dominating the match, but from then on, she was tentative and Riske jerked her around the court and came to the net with a ton of success. Barty could have won if she had served better, but when you're 5-5, you are going to have days with a low first-serve percentage.

Berrettini looked emotionally and physically spent from his match on Saturday, but even considering that factor, his performance was awful. I thought he would push Federer, but they could have played a hundred sets and he never would have won one. His total no-show was the biggest surprise of the day on the men's side for me. Federer looked a lot better than in his other matches in the little I bothered to watch today.

Every player I would have picked to beat Serena head to head is out, but I still don't think she will win. Riske could beat her if she gets enough returns in play and Serena starts missing her first serve. Konta could beat her if she served well and held her nerve, but that latter part seems unlikely. Halep could beat her if she played the big points better than she has in the past and gets a little lucky. She might have beaten Serena in Melbourne if not for one awful game when she dumped serve with a series of unforced errors, but that's what she does against Serena. It wasn't a fluke, and the serve discrepancy is hard for her to overcome.

The Muchova-Pliskova match was the best I saw all day. Caught bits and pieces of the first two sets and all of it from midway through the third set to the finish. If Muchova keeps playing like that, she can make the final, but history says players with her pedigree don't keep playing like that. She has much better grass court instincts than Halep or Svitolina.

Only one thing is certain. Serena definitely has zero chance to beat (er, meet) Barty now.
    Last edited by jazzyg; 07-08-2019 at 02:11 PM.

If Serena doesn't win this tournament, she'll never win another slam. The remaining draw is as if a nuclear bomb went off.

Thought this was her last chance to win a Slam regardless of the field last week and only got easier now
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    The Raonic Pella match was on another ESPN station where I am (northern California).
    "The official and decisive text to the Rules of Tennis shall be for ever in the English
    language...." ITF Rules of Tennis 2019

Ignoring Serena for a moment, since it is a bit hard to compare her play in a match this lop-sided, I thought the best play of the day was from Riske and Muchova. This would be Riske as she played after the first 6 games. Both of these women looked so at home on the grass and played very clean, powerful, and efficient tennis.

GH

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345