Agree Agree:  6
Likes Likes:  64
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Women's Picks and Results Thread: Wimbledon 2019

Much less carnage for Tuesday Morning Quarterback to report on today, as we lost only 18 from the ranks today. I give the Kenin pickers a pass as that match was a coin flip, but the others were easily preventable, simply by making the opposite choice of what your terrible instincts told you. But don't take my word for it--here is today's small parade of losers, lining up to tell you exactly...

Where It Went Wrong For You, the Loser

Yulia Puntintseva (12 victims): AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! <texts a baleful glare at you> YOU WERE SO DAZZLED BY THE SIGHT OF THE LOW HANGING FRUIT OF A NAME YOU'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE THAT YOU MISSED THAT THE OTHER NAME AFTER THE VS WAS MINE, WOMEN'S TENNIS' VERY OWN RUMPELSTILTSKIN. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! <texts you a banshee's shriek> YOU'RE LUCKY YOU CAUGHT ME IN A GOOD MOOD OR I WOULD REALLY LET YOU HAVE IT.

(TMQ interjects: Picking someone to lose rather than someone to win is a rookie-level SP mistake, on par with picking for or against a wildcard homer, or choosing a Bonderenko.

Madison Keys (3 victims): Sorry, dude. I was distracted by that sublimely bitchin' arm sleeve.

(TMQ interjects: I surprised that LTA doesn't make Hercog wear a big white sleeve on that arm, but I am here for it)

Sofia Kenin (2 victims): From my reactions, you would think that I had either won or lost Wimbledon after any point, which I guess confused you and made it kind of hard to tell if we were all still at the same tournament.

(TMQ interjects: Seriously...if she expended as much energy on shot selection as she did on fist pumps and incredulous eyerolls, she might have made a deep run here...but she didn't)

Magdalena Rybarikova (1 victim): You can't fight destiny. You would have had a better chance picking me to win against a buzzsaw.

(TMQ interjects: Nothing...jaw is still on the floor)

Tune in tomorrow, where the remaining women are relieved that they only have to deal with Serena and not Gauff until the final.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 07-03-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dollymix View Post
    Apologies to the Keys pickers for jinxing her - I was right to be negative on her longer-term prospects at this tournament, just wasn't negative enough i guess.
    SP Rule - if you are picking someone because you think they are going to lose soon...they are usually happy to oblige and do it right away for you.

I would never have picked Keys yesterday...because I had her penciled in for the final.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Years ago, we used to talk about the "SP rules" even more than we do now. There was a time when, I swear, if one followed all of the "rules", there would be no one to pick by the 2nd round. GH

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

SP Rule - all SP Rules are designed to help eliminate possible players to pick. There are no SP Rules to tell you who you SHOULD pick
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Years ago, we used to talk about the "SP rules" even more than we do now. There was a time when, I swear, if one followed all of the "rules", there would be no one to pick by the 2nd round. GH
    As liam_valid lamented above, there was arguably no one to pick by the 2nd round this year either. Too early for some, too late for others, some orange tennisers liking the slowisher courts, some players who hadn't set foot on grass before Sunday, other players who had peaked a week or two too early.... at which point one might as well pick Paula Badosa Gibert, since (aside from being allergic to bandwagons -- I'd rather meet my Maker on a Ducati than a pedal tavern...) if she had won I could have preened a bit on recognizing that she'd played in better tournaments (and lost to better players) than Flink on her way to SW17 qualifying. And, since she lost, I had the pleasure of anticipating TMQ's "what in the manicured green hell were you thinking?" reaction.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

If anyone is interested, With GH opting to go for the highest seed, Iíve been noting the bookies favourite to see how that would have gone. Pliskova-Barty-Halep-and out on day 4 with Kerber. Thereís no winning here folks

6 no picks for Day for, meaning we start off with 112

The breakdown

Goerges 48
    Riske 31
    Anisimova 13
    Stephens 7
    Q. Wang 6
    Mertens 3
    Suarez Navarro 3
    Bencic 1
    Konta 1
    Strycova 1
    Kerber 1

TMQ will be away from the computer and television for most of this US holiday, so tune in tonight to find out what you did wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    If anyone is interested, With GH opting to go for the highest seed, I’ve been noting the bookies favourite to see how that would have gone. Pliskova-Barty-Halep-and out on day 4 with Kerber. There’s no winning here folks
    And I'm going to keep following my highest-seed concept to see how far I would have gone if Osaka hadn't taken me out half-way through day 1. So far, so good, starting with day 2, it was Barty, Ka. Plishkova, and Bertens. But note: Bertens had to survive a match point she surely should have lost to keep this idea from losing for a 2nd time in 4 days.

GH

P.S. I'm pretty sure I am not capable of figuring out how to win a women's SP in the current climate, so all of this is merely mental gymnastics.

I am going to rain on your parade.
    I never picked a wrong player after I am dead in the SP. NEVER!!!!
    Missing winter...

Hey, kids, sorry about yesterday--it was very active here at TMQ headquarters. I have Anisimova's and Kerber's texts about what you did wrong yesterday, and I will roll them into today's edition.

We had 2 no picks and 2 zombies today, so I count 97 remaining.

The breakdown

Yastremska 43
    Kontaveit 32
    Cori Gauff 8
    Caroline Wozniacki 5
    Martic 3
    Svitolina 2
    Collins 1
    Zhang 1
    Muchova 1
    Hercog 1
    Last edited by JTContinental; 07-05-2019 at 12:17 PM.

(TMQ interjects: I surprised that LTA doesn't make Hercog wear a big white sleeve on that arm, but I am here for it)
    I'd like to point out that Hercog is today wearing a big white sleeve over her tattoo for her Centre Court match.

Draaaammmaaaaaa

I think the Zhang picker should be especially proud. GH

8 Very lucky people, Hercog choked at the end of the 2nd set.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast