Agree Agree:  13
Likes Likes:  42
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: '19 RG Day 14 OoP & Discussion

If I ever get back to Paris, I now know of a few more restaurants to scope out... (Not that I actually would try to see players there. I imagine those joints are pricey and/or crowded, and I'm too Nashville anyhow.*)

From an article about the RG players' concierges:

To date during Roland-Garros 2019 they have helped out with more than 400 demandes and expect to assist on a further 300 before the end of the tournament. “We have made more than 100 restaurant reservations,” he confirms. Players like four particular restaurants: L’Avenue on Avenue Montaigne; Hotel Costes, which has a fabulous terrace; Loulou, set in the aesthetic grandeur of the Musée des Arts Décoratifs; or the Art Deco-inspired Girafe in Trocadero, with its stunning proximity to the Eiffel Tower.
    https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/a...yers-concierge

* The Nashville code: when you spot someone like Reese or Emmylou or Nicole eating dinner or picking up their kids or whatevs because they happen to live here, you LEAVE THEM ALONE.

If anyone is watching the men's doubles final right now in the US, please do share how you're watching/streaming if not using a VPN. TC is in repeat since it's not their live coverage window. NBC is going with a replay of Djokovic vs. Thiem over airing the live doubles match and does not have it up on the NBC Sports app either.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    NBC is going with a replay of Djokovic vs. Thiem over airing the live doubles match and does not have it up on the NBC Sports app either.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

I follow MENS doubles, more for gambling purposes than to watch, and I can honestly say I’ve never heard of this winning pair in the men’s doubles

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    If I ever get back to Paris, I now know of a few more restaurants to scope out... (Not that I actually would try to see players there. I imagine those joints are pricey and/or crowded, and I'm too Nashville anyhow.*)

From an article about the RG players' concierges:

https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/a...yers-concierge

* The Nashville code: when you spot someone like Reese or Emmylou or Nicole eating dinner or picking up their kids or whatevs because they happen to live here, you LEAVE THEM ALONE.
    Same code applies in New York City.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

TennisNow
    ‏@Tennis_Now

Krawietz and Mies are the first all-German team in history to win a Grand Slam men’s doubles title. #RG19 They did it in their @rolandgarros debut and their second Slam together...
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    I follow MENS doubles, more for gambling purposes than to watch, and I can honestly say I’ve never heard of this winning pair in the men’s doubles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    TennisNow
    ‏@Tennis_Now

Krawietz and Mies are the first all-German team in history to win a Grand Slam men’s doubles title. #RG19 They did it in their @rolandgarros debut and their second Slam together...
    Andreas Mies, 28 years old, entered the French Open at his career high in doubles at 50. His career high in singles was 781, but he doesn't have a singles ranking right now. Career prize money just under $160k.

Kevin Krawietz, 27 years old, entered the French Open at his career high in doubles at 49. He achieved his career high in singles in December of last year at 211, and is currently ranked 269. He lost in the first round of qualifying here at Roland Garros. Career prize money just over $370k.

The Championship doubles team will split 580k Euros ~ $658k dollars and have new career high rankings of 21 & 22 respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    Andreas Mies, 28 years old, entered the French Open at his career high in doubles at 50. His career high in singles was 781, but he doesn't have a singles ranking right now. Career prize money just under $160k.

Kevin Krawietz, 27 years old, entered the French Open at his career high in doubles at 49. He achieved his career high in singles in December of last year at 211, and is currently ranked 269. He lost in the first round of qualifying here at Roland Garros. Career prize money just over $370k.

The Championship doubles team will split 580k Euros ~ $658k dollars and have new career high rankings of 21 & 22 respectively.
    Only a month ago, they were playing in a 15k challenger and losing in the final, splitting $270. Fantastic story.

Too good too young but now her time has come
    By Casey Dellacqua
    June 9, 2019 — 5.15pm

I’m so proud of Ash Barty. Over the years I’ve seen her go through ups and downs. It’s been a journey. She can now enjoy being a grand slam champion.

After Ash won Junior Wimbledon aged just 15 and then made three grand slam doubles finals with me (Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US), it was all too much for her. It was hard to see her unhappy playing tennis. She wasn’t enjoying being on the practice courts. She wasn’t enjoying being on the road – and in professional tennis, you’re nine months away from home. She was just too young. Playing at the top is hard, and it’s high pressure. Everyone expected big things from her. Most players don’t reach that point until they are in their early to mid twenties – where she is now at age 23. In a way, she was too good too young. Now the time is right.

She showed so much maturity when she came back into the sport - starting at the very bottom again. She was ranked 623rd in the world three years ago. Every time she got on a roll, she got injured. That’s what happens when you come back after you’ve been away from the court. She wasn’t gifted anything when she returned . She worked hard.

She had a great tournament in Paris. She got rid of a lot of emotion in the semi-final and played a perfect game in the final.

Her story should remind parents of young athletes that their children need them first and foremost to be their parents – not their coach. She has a strong and loving family; mum, dad, two sisters and a niece and nephew. They’ve always been there for her and supported all her decisions about her career – even when she decided to quit.

Now she’s No. 2 in the world. It’s crazy! Talk of Wimbledon or what is around the corner irrelevant. Regardless of what happens now in the rest of her career, she is a grand slam champion. No one can take that away. She doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone.

Despite her success, one thing I can say with 100 per cent confidence is that Ash will always remain the same humble girl I met when she was 15. I know that because she surrounds herself with the right people, her team, her family and her friends.

And, I’ll be there to make sure her head doesn’t get too big!

Casey Dellacqua was Ashleigh Barty’s long-time doubles partner until she retired in 2018.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/tennis/...box=1560067214

TennisNow
    ‏@Tennis_Now

I did get to watch the men's doubles, every point. I had never heard of the Germans before a couple of rounds ago. But they were spectacular in that final. They played an almost perfect match. I should look up the stats as given by the ones whose opinions count, but for me, they had amazingly few unforced errors. Anything they missed was missed because they were returning a good shot. Chardy and Martin had a few too many errors. They missed some pretty easy overheads and had quite a few unforced errors on routine groundstrokes. Still, the overall quality of the match was excellent. But still, I am almost blown away by the beautiful play of the Germans, who had so little big event experience. As others have stated, this is an incredible story.

GH

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

posted by @MattWalshMedia
    Jun 7
    This picture was the cutest part of the final. She has barely changed at all!
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345