Agree Agree:  15
Likes Likes:  24
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: ATP 250 Stuttgart 6/10 - 6/16 2019

The take about Kyrgios was perfectly understandable on the first page, but it also smacked of not actually watching the match.

I did, and my immediate take watching that match was Berrettini has an excellent chance to win this tournament, which I believe he will over FAA. He was outstanding against Kyrgios, who played some crazy shots but was outclassed even when he took his tennis seriously. Berrettini has backed it up by cruising through his next three matches just as easily. He looks like a top-10 player on grass. He said he had a bad attitude about grass last year, contributing to his poor results, but he has the serve, the return and the ability to handle low balls that make for a excellent grass player.

FAA's match with Brown was the most entertaining of the year for me. The contrast between a serve-and-volleyer without a huge serve and a baseliner (really all-courter) is the biggest thing that has been lost in modern tennis. I'm still crushed that Brown missed that easy volley on match point in the third set. At the time, I figured he would lose to Raonic anyway because return of serve is his biggest weakness, but now that Raonic pulled out, I'm doubly sick. Brown would have been in his first career final at age 34. Heck, I may never get over that missed volley. I hope he has an easier time than I do.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I think Berrettini is positively dreamy ...
    We just started watching the final, and my wife saw Berrettini and said, "Oh, it's this guy. I'm not sure I'm cheering for Felix in this match any more".

I didn't see this mentioned above: This is Felix's first ever ATP tournament on grass. And the commentator here just said that it's his first match on grass since he and Shapovalov won the boys' doubles final at Wimbledon in 2016.

Matteo Berrittini defeated Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-4, 7-6(11) to win. The tennis was glorious in most of the second set until it became all about serving. Felix has nothing to be ashamed about.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Apparently Berrettini didn't lose serve in the entire tournament, winning all 50 service games.

Matteo Berrittini Singles Champion
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Bruno Soares and John Peers Doubles Champions
    via @ ATP Tour

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234