Agree Agree:  11
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: '19 RG Day 12 OoP & Discussion

Your standards are very high.

I didn't see the match, but Thiem had 29 winners and 12 unforced errors. Hard to improve on that.

Quote Originally Posted by sokoll View Post
    Question for people who is watching the match. The way Novak is playing do you think he is playing well enough to challenge Rafa, if he gets to the final?
    This isn't the best looking match, so hard to tell. But he definitely needs to be more concerned about getting through Thiem. Very concerned. Thiem has been locked in since his match against Gael.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Uh, how short is Dominic Thiem or how tall is Karen Khachanov? Thiem didn't exactly look like a child next to Khachanov at the net, but close enough. Someone is lying about their height.
    Thiem is about 6'1" & Khachanov is 6'6".

This isn't the best looking match, so hard to tell. But he definitely needs to be more concerned about getting through Thiem. Very concerned. Thiem has been locked in since his match against Gael.
    Agree, that's why I said "if"

Annoyingly quick matches today. But for the sake of the winners, exactly what they deserved after the washout for a better shot at the title.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Ugh! Should've realized it, but didn't see that the schedule was 2 hours earlier today. Can't go back and watch any of the beginning of the match right now since I didn't have it on the channel.
    I actually turned on the TV right at Keys-Barty match point myself.

A perfect contrast between the WTA and ATP draw of those we expected to get to semis in one and not the other....pretty much total opposites.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    I actually turned on the TV right at Keys-Barty match point myself.

A perfect contrast between the WTA and ATP draw of those we expected to get to semis in one and not the other....pretty much total opposites.
    Yup. Even before the draw came out, you could have bet the house on Djokovic, Nadal, and Thiem all making the semis (and still not win enough off the bet for a cup of coffee).

Lots of people could have troubled Federer, the rusty old goat with only a handful of matches on clay in years. His form has been a pleasant surprise. I think he really wanted one last good shot at the French, and prepared accordingly. It was sort of the opposite of Serena, who openly talked about considering pulling out every day beforehand (too bad, because she had a great draw). I think Federer's strategy was to not engage in typical clay court tennis. He's hitting tons of short slices and drop shots. He's serving and volleying. He's basically treating it like a grass court (ditto for Ash Barty).

For the women, Konta's been #4 and made two semis before, but this is still a surprise. I sometimes think it's easier for rusty/injured/returning players to get back in form on their worst surface, thanks to the decreased pressure. Barty, Vondrousova, and Anisimova are all truly excellent. I don't think it will take long for people to say "Can you believe that people were actually surprised to see them in the semis?" I would have put the French as least likely for any of them to have a breakout tournament, so I expect them to be dangerous everywhere. Fingers crossed that they all stay healthy.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Men's Doubles - Semifinals

Jeremy Chardy/Fabrice Martin d (3) Juan Sebastian Cabal/Robert Farah 75 64
    Kevin Krawietz/Andreas Mies d Guido Pella / Diego Schwartzman 75 63

Mixed Doubles - Semifinals

L Chan/I Dodig d (1) N Melichar/B Soares 62 61
    (2) G Dabrowski / M Pavic d N Kichenok/AUH Qureshi 67(4) 61 10-8

Women's Singles - Quarterfinals

A. Anisimova (USA) d [3] S. Halep (ROU) 62 64
    [8] A. Barty (AUS) d [14] M. Keys (USA) 63 75

Women's Doubles - Quarterfinals

[6] E. Mertens (BEL) / A. Sabalenka (BLR) d L. Kichenok (UKR) / J. Ostapenko (LAT) 75 62

Men's Singles - Quarterfinals

(1) Novak Djokovic d (5) Alexander Zverev 75 62 62
    (4) Dominic Thiem d (10) Karen Khachanov 62 64 62

Other Results
    https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/m...&finished=true

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Barty, Vondrousova, and Anisimova are all truly excellent. I don't think it will take long for people to say "Can you believe that people were actually surprised to see them in the semis?" I would have put the French as least likely for any of them to have a breakout tournament, so I expect them to be dangerous everywhere. Fingers crossed that they all stay healthy.
    And we will not surprised either if in a few years we mention them in the same sentence with Alyson Van Uytvanck. The WTA has so much parity and depth that this business of predicting has to be made in the sense Suliso is doing it lately: "Top 15", "Top 20". Anything more precise is completely cloudy.
    Missing winter...

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    And we will not surprised either if in a few years we mention them in the same sentence with Alyson Van Uytvanck. The WTA has so much parity and depth that this business of predicting has to be made in the sense Suliso is doing it lately: "Top 15", "Top 20". Anything more precise is completely cloudy.
    Lol. I think Van Uytvanck is going too far. She made one randomish QF and never made the top 30.

Bencic or Bouchard would probably be the more apt cautionary tale.

I'd be willing to bet some money Bencic will be back in the top 10 this year. Bouchard will never be.
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I'd be willing to bet some money Bencic will be back in the top 10 this year. Bouchard will never be.
    Bencic will either be 6 or 7 in the WTA Race on Monday.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123