Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: '19 RG Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    I had Johanna Larson as one of my YCWJ picks, and look what she did. I wonder if there's money to be made here.....will players be willing to pay me to make them one of my YCWJ picks? It is definitely a positive predictor for success. GH
    Oh, good, Larsson was my SP pick. (Sorry, Glenn, but Rybarikova is demonstrably more rubbish at orange tennis than Sir Muzz.)

It seems that I always use the following as a (losing) strategy: I look for a place in the draw from which almost certainly a wooden spoon could come. Then I pick one of them, based on whatever ideas I come up with.....and WAY too often pick the wrong one. Now, I think Rybarikova is likely an excellent YCWJ pick, and some people picked her.

GH

Cecchinato looking like he's going 5 against Mahut. I didn't remember that Mahut was still playing anything other than doubles.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

That's the frustrating thing about YCWJ. You trace back from your projected winner, to finalist, to semi-finalist and so on, and then end up at a first-round match that's basically a toss-up between no-hopers. And then it's a 50-50 call. Make the right pick and you're set up for a nice run. Make the wrong pick and you've got a zero on that whole sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    That's the frustrating thing about YCWJ. You trace back from your projected winner, to finalist, to semi-finalist and so on, and then end up at a first-round match that's basically a toss-up between no-hopers. And then it's a 50-50 call. Make the right pick and you're set up for a nice run. Make the wrong pick and you've got a zero on that whole sequence.
    I too had Larsson
    Meet again we do, old foe...

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Venus a set down to Svitolina. Not sure why this didn’t get Chatrier status. Venus played some great stuff in that set but just couldn’t hold serve

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

More breaks to start the second. There’s been 3 holds from 12 games so far! But for anyone not watching, try and see a highlight reel of Venus’s backhand winners after the match

Quote Originally Posted by liam_valid View Post
    Venus a set down to Svitolina. Not sure why this didn’t get Chatrier status. Venus played some great stuff in that set but just couldn’t hold serve
    Brengle vs KaPlis was deemed Chatrier material.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    In one of the more brutally honest commentary moments I can remember, Martina Navratilova just straight-up said Muguruza should fire her coach. Her broadcasting partner was left speechless for several seconds.
    Martina trying to redeem herself after vocally supporting Gimelstob?

That said why they continue this toxic relationship is beyond me. Sumyk may be considered poison by some and Mugu's temperament doesn't lend itself to people lining up to coach her. She's not Ostapenko but she flat out doesn't listen even when he's giving her good advice.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I like Sloane's interpretation of the Nike kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I like Sloane's interpretation of the Nike kit.
    I do too. I also like to see who is higher up in the Nike echelon that they get to consult some in their attire. As tends to be the case with Sloane, I doubt we'll see anyone else in this.

Taylor Townsend, by the way, played a colossally smart and sharp first set and a half against Muguruza. Her spins were affecting Muguruza so much, Garbine looked quite amateurish for a while (Townsend hit several twist serves that Garbine returned a split second away from having the ball bonk her on the nose - it was kind of hilarious, to be honest. It's the kind of thing you see when an NTRP 4.0 player practices against a 5.0 player and they get the look in their eyes like "I didn't even know the ball could do that!"). Why Taylor moved towards trying (and failing) to rally with Muguruza, I'll never know. Maybe she got tired. Maybe she thought Muguruza was catching on. But I wish she would completely lean into the spins, slices and junk. She could maybe hope to be kind of a lefty Radwanska-type but with a much better serve. Toe-to-toe rallies with big hitters just isn't the right path for her.

EDIT: Actually, she reminds me a lot of Patty Schnyder with a much better serve. She could give people fits if she could maintain discipline and focus out there.
    Last edited by munchin; 05-26-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

RESULTS
    Women's Singles - First Round
    [2] Ka. Pliskova (CZE) d M. Brengle (USA) 62 63
    A. Potapova (RUS) d [5] A. Kerber (GER) 64 62
    [7] S. Stephens (USA) d M. Doi (JPN) 63 76(4)
    [9] E. Svitolina (UKR) d V. Williams (USA) 63 63
    [15] B. Bencic (SUI) d [WC] J. Ponchet (FRA) 61 64
    [19] G. Muguruza (ESP) d T. Townsend (USA) 57 62 62
    [31] P. Martic (CRO) d. O. Jabeur (TUN) 61 62
    M. Vondrousova (CZE) d Y. Wang (CHN) 64 63
    K. Mladenovic (FRA) d. F. Ferro (FRA) 63 76(3)
    K. Kozlova (UKR) d [Q] B. Pera (USA) 62 76(5)
    S. Sorribes Tormo (ESP) d A. Van Uytvanck (BEL) 61 57 62
    L. Siegemund (GER) d [Q] S. Zhuk (RUS) 63 63
    J. Larsson (SWE) d M. Rybarikova (SVK) 63 64
    [Q] K. Kucova (SVK) d S. Kuznetsova (RUS) 64 62

Men's Singles - First Round

(3) Roger Federer d Lorenzo Sonego 62 64 64
    (6) Stefanos Tsitsipas d Maximilian Marterer 62 62 76(4)
    (7) Kei Nishikori d (WC) Quentin Halys 62 63 64
    (11) Marin Cilic d Thomas Fabbiano 63 75 61
    (WC) Nicolas Mahut d (16) Marco Cecchinato 26 67(6) 64 62 64
    (17) Diego Schwartzman d Marton Fucsovics 63 36 76(7) 26 62
    (27) David Goffin d Ricardas Berankis 60 62 62
    (29) Matteo Berrettini d Pablo Andujar 67(3) 64 64 62
    (31) Laslo Djere d Albert Ramos-Vinolas 63 62 76(2)
    Hugo Dellien d Prajnesh Gunneswaran 61 63 61
    Grigor Dimitrov d (PR) Janko Tipsarevic 63 60 36 67(4) 64
    Philipp Kohlschreiber d Robin Haase 64 64 67(5) 61
    Leonardo Mayer d Jiri Vesely 76(3) 63 60
    (LL) Oscar Otte d Malek Jaziri 63 61 46 60
    (WC) Alexei Popyrin d Ugo Humbert 36 63 76(10) 63
    Casper Ruud d Ernests Gulbis 62 76(2) 60

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12