Agree Agree:  3
Likes Likes:  19
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: '19 RG WTA Singles Draw

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    We're at the point now where I can just read a post and see the jinx and not even have to look at the poster
    You should. Lately we have been posting some majestic ones. I posted that Serena was going to be given the trophy easily about one hour before she lost and MJ posted a magnificent jinx a few days ago.
    This is contagious. TAT's measles outbreak.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    We act all surprised about Konta and Vondrousova reaching SF's, but we shouldn't be. All the evidence was there we just refused to take it seriously.
    Totally agreed. The players who have won a bunch of matches on clay are continuing to win a bunch of matches here.

With Konta and Vondrousova, I'd say they both had "dark horse to go deep" potential, maybe one making the R16 and another making the QF. The two playing each other for the final is still surprising, to me, but I agree that it's not 'that wacky WTA!" material.

3 of the 4 returning semifinalists (Stephens, Keys, Halep) all made the quarters and were considered contenders again, and the other returning semifinalist (Muguruza) lost to one of those 3 in a good match. Since Del Potro lost in the 4th round, and Ceccihinato lost in the 1st, it's actually currently a better ratio than the men.

There was always going to be a little turmoil, in a few sections, with 2 of the betting favorites (Kvitova, Bertens) pulling out injured. With that context, I actually think Khachanov is the most surprising quarterfinalist.

Marketa is the first teenager to reach GS final since Wozniacki at 2009 USO and the first at RG since Ivanovic in 2007. The last teenage winner is Kuznetsova at 2004 USO. Ostapenko missed out by just 3 days two years ago.
    Roger forever

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234