Agree Agree:  8
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: '19 RG ATP Singles Draw

But the rules allow her to do what she did. I have a feeling they'll fix that.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    But the rules allow her to do what she did. I have a feeling they'll fix that.
    Right. She was technically within the rules, the RG director I think it was, said as much, but not remotely within the spirit of the rule and why changes were made and the integrity of the sport.

Plenty have withdrawn late similar to what Querrey did and very few get called out for it because in just about every case, the person has been actively showing they are going to play that GS. And in fact, since the rule has been in place, I've only seen it applauded because it has been working and we haven't had nearly as many 6-1 first sets that end in a player withdrawing before the second starts. Maybe there's another case of a player leaving a media and social media trail like this and then popping in, not pretending to practice and getting a check. @Ti mentioned Buzarnescu at the US Open, but I'm not aware of that one. But Querrey is like the other withdraws we've seen in the past it seems and Boulter took a much different approach.

Whoever manages her did a very poor job this month. Forget being open about "hey I'm here for my check" being a perfectly good approach as one article suggests instead of hiding it since I disagree with that notion and think that remains problematic. But she couldn't fake it? Stay off social media? She couldn't skip traditional media the last few weeks so she didn't share she wasn't close to returning yet? Get out on the practice courts at RG to show she's here to play? Not do a jet set schedule with a quick turnaround? It's like she was trying to bring attention to her plan.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Whoever manages her did a very poor job this month. Forget being open about "hey I'm here for my check" being a perfectly good approach as one article suggests instead of hiding it since I disagree with that notion and think that remains problematic. But she couldn't fake it? Stay off social media? She couldn't skip traditional media the last few weeks so she didn't share she wasn't close to returning yet? Get out on the practice courts at RG to show she's here to play? Not do a jet set schedule with a quick turnaround? It's like she was trying to bring attention to her plan.
    Ding ding ding. Zero chance she brought her whole team with her. I wonder if she even brought a tennis racket.

She deserves credit for not faking her way to a 2-4 ret scoreline to get the whole 1st round prize money, but I don't think she'll be starting a new career as an actress.

I doubt that Querrey needs half of the first round prize money that badly; it seems much more obvious that he was here trying to play.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

I dont have any problem with someone collecting half of the first-round prize money if they know they canít play. Itís too much money for most players to pass up, and they pretty much earned it with their ranking. I think itís a great solution to the problem of first-round retirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123