Agree Agree:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

FO 2019 Bracket Prediction Challenge

Start of play deadline is the start of tournament play: 11:00AM in Paris France on Sunday the 26th. Note what time that is for you locally.

Entry Form: Deadline Start of play on day one

[Please note there is some delay in placing qualifiers! If you do enter beforehand, please remember to try to revisit and re-submit your bracket once qualifiers are placed so those names show up properly in your entry. Brackets can be edited from the score tracking page before the start of play as long as your browser cookies are intact/match]

ATP: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...rnament=French
    WTA: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...rnament=French

Picks And Score Tracking:

View ATP Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...rench&tour=ATP
    View WTA Scores: http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...rench&tour=WTA

What is it?
    This is a separate prediction contest for Slam events. Predict the full brackets for ATP and/or WTA events, and earn bonus points in later rounds for guessing or getting close to game totals for matches from the Quarterfinals on. This IS a medal awarding contest. A medal will be awarded to the overall score leader for each WTA and ATP top scorers.

How does it work?
    After the bracket is finalized and prior to the first round of play, participants select match winners for the full bracket. Additionally, participants are asked to guess how many games will be played in each of the QF, SF, and finals matches. Brackets for WTA and ATP events are separate.

Points are awarded as follows:
    Each correct bracket pick (having the correct player in that part of the draw) awards one point for each slot correctly filled for the first round. The second round results increase to 2 points each, third round 3 points each, and so on. This forms the majority of the overall prediction score.

Bonus points are awarded for how close you come to game totals in each of those matches. This is regardless of who ends up actually contesting them, so you can still earn points here even if your player picks are off.
    5 bonus points for getting the exact game count in that match
    4 for being within one game
    3 for being within 3 games
    2 for being within 5 games
    and 1 point for being within 7 games
    If a retirement takes place, the number of games played until the retirement is the 'correct' answer for that match, and a walkover is treated as playing 0 games.
    Prediction and bonus points are added together to form a final score for the event.

There will be a pick tracker so you can follow scoring as it occurs, complete with some plots of the data and breakdowns of choices in real time. Other player picks are not visible to you until after the deadline passes.

What do I need to do to participate?
    Nothing beforehand as long as you have a valid TAT account and are logged in.
    Entries will need to be made before the start of main draw play and a thread will be up in order to do that at least one day prior to the start of first round play.
    Entries may be redone as many times as you like up until the deadline (start of play the first day).

As before, any feedback is welcome.

This thread is intended for discussion and questions regarding the challenge.

Thanks, and good luck to all!
    Last edited by James7; 05-20-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    I disapprove of this message

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: FO 2019 Bracket Prediction Challenge

This is going up a little early. Please don't try to submit entries until after the draw has been made.

I will be out of town for the majority of this Slam, including a couple days before the start, but will hopefully be getting an assist from some of our other contest staff.

The entry form is (hopefully!) scheduled to update itself at 4am, 12, and 6pm Eastern Time US on both Friday and Saturday ahead of the deadline. Because I won't be around to fix unnamed qualifier entries and the like till closer to the end of the whole tournament, just be aware and try to revise your entry after the last refresh if possible to account for draw/qualifier changes.

Thanks for understanding and good luck!
    Last edited by James7; 05-20-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Note, don't expect to be able to enter until after the draw has been made and been properly fetched. You may see last year's entry bracket until that time.

Thanks.

James7, Thanks as always for doing this contest. I enjoy it and always enter it when I can.

Now I have a request: Is there some way you could tell me whom to pick so that I don't look really stupid by about day 3?

GH

Don't forget this contest. The qualifiers and lucky losers have been placed.

Sometimes it helps to do this one before picking your YCWJ team. Of course, sometimes it doesn't help
    My Suicide Draw Pool avatar

I'm trying to enter, but it's telling me I'm not logged in?

Changed browsers, all set!!!!!
    Last edited by New England Nitemare; 05-26-2019 at 01:09 AM.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dave g View Post
    Don't forget this contest. The qualifiers and lucky losers have been placed.

Sometimes it helps to do this one before picking your YCWJ team. Of course, sometimes it doesn't help
    Agreed - this is a great contest to do first to help with other contests...just not necessarily to do any better. Another example, great for SkanCan to see what "lower" seed I picked to go far.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Day 1 Results:

Not surprisingly, after only one day, we are pretty bunched up.

For the ATP, we have ten people with 13 points, twelve people with 12 points, five people with 11 points, and three people with 10 points. The ten people with 13 points are GlennHarmon, Jason11E mysterX, New England Nitemare, Omegadoom, Pione Sisto, Sluggo-13, texasnitemare, togtdyalttai, and yoort.

For the WTA, we have nine people with 11 points, ten people with 10 points, eight people with 9 points, one person with 8 points, and two people with 7 points. The nine people with 11 points are dollymix, Jason11E, jatagen, Jazznu, Jeff in TX, New England Nitemare, TennisAnyone74, togtdyalttai, and zotit.

This leave three people in the top group for both genders: Jason11E, New England Nitemare, and togtdyalttai. Nice Going!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

I very nearly took Kerber to win it all. Still I had her Iím semi so probably screwed already.

End of Round 1 results:

ATP: Omegadoom has taken over first with 51, Pione Sisto is right behind with 50, followed by mysterX with 49 and Drop-Shot with 48.

WTA: mysterX is in first with 46, followed by jatagen, New England Nitemare, Omegadoom, and texasniteowl, all with 45

Day 4 Results:

ATP: The top score for today was 20 shared by New England Nitemare, Pione Sisto, and Oploskoffie. This has allowed Pione Sisto to move into first with 70, Omegadoom is in second with 69, and mysterX and New England Nitemare are tied for third with 67.

WTA: The top score for today was 24, obtained by dollymix. patrick and PeterSkan tied for second for today with 22. dollymix has moved into first with 67, patrick is in second with 66, with New England Nitemare and PeterSkan tied for third with 65

Day 5 Results:

ATP: mysterX has taken the lead with 91 points, Pione Sisto is now in second with 90, and New England Nitemare and Omegadoom have 89.

WTA: New England Nitemare has 81 points, and has opened a small gap over mysterX and patrick, who both have 78 points

Day 6 results:

ATP: mysterX continues to hang onto his lead with 102. New England Nitemare is now in second with 101. Pione Sisto and tolulops are tied for third with 99.

WTA: New England Nitemare has been caught by patrick, and they now both have 92 points. mysterX is right behind in third with 91 points.

Day 7 Results:

ATP: mysterX has been joined by tululops in the lead with 126, with Omegadoom right behind with 125.

WTA: New England Nitemare is now in sole possession of the lead with 101 and a lead over mysterX and Bhar11 with 97

Day 9 results:

ATP: tolulops has taken over the lead with 150. Omegadoom is in second with 149.

WTA: New England Nitemare is in first with 120, and has opened a gap over tenedab in second with 115.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast