Agree Agree:  5
Likes Likes:  8
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: RG Qualifying 5/20 - 5/24 2019

This is hazy, but:

I think 3 of the 4 slams had different sized qualifying draws for men and women until a few years ago. Now, I think the French Open is the only one left.

The issue started picking up steam a few years ago. It had gone almost entirely unnoticed, but was mentioned in an SI Mailbag, then Ben Rothenberg started talking about it. Wimbledon made the change with very little pressure, then another one followed suit.

I think the WTA Qualie Draw was 96 while the men's was 128.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

So if there’s less qualifiers, are there more wildcards? Or just a higher acceptance rank?

Actually, this year for some reason, they gave out 9 wildcards in the men’s side and the standard 8 for the women.

I think at one point in time, only the US Open had the same amount of qualifiers on both sides, but I think the disparity was partly because the top players would routinely trounce their way into the QFs. Playing a qualifier no longer equals cannon fodder.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234