Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  2

View Poll Results: Should David Ferrer be in the HOF?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

1 5.00%
  • No.

17 85.00%
  • Not sure.

2 10.00%

David Ferrer. HOF?

Lots of achievements, but no GS.
    Starry starry night

Re: David Ferrer. HOF?

No. The voters used winning a Slam as one of their main criteria.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Lacking GS titles should be an automatic disqualification (sadly applies to most of my faves), to maintain some semblance of exclusivity. If I were voting, I'd want to see a well-rounded career and at least 2 slams, or 1 slam and #1 (like Safin/Roddick).

Of the supporting cast in the Big Four era, I'd say Stan is the only worthy choice. I wouldn't nominate Del Potro, Cilic, or Gaudio.

Very good but not great. In addition to no slams, only 1 Masters title (defeating the mighty Jerzy Janowicz). No HOF.

David Ferrer had a good career, steady top 10 player for a good part of his career. But he didn't win any GS, so I would def say no HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by yoort View Post
    Lacking GS titles should be an automatic disqualification (sadly applies to most of my faves), to maintain some semblance of exclusivity. If I were voting, I'd want to see a well-rounded career and at least 2 slams, or 1 slam and #1 (like Safin/Roddick).
    Safin won two slams.

Negatory
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

In addition to his no slams, he was unlucky enough to be around in an era of Spanish giants, so it’s not like he pulled a Li Na for his country either. I doubt anyone but his most loyal fans will be discussing him in 10 years time

About Spanish giants. He was the second giant. Nadal was the first, but after that, only David made any impact. Feliciano and Fernando are even smaller than he is (tennis wise).
    Starry starry night

cock of the clay
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    About Spanish giants. He was the second giant. Nadal was the first, but after that, only David made any impact. Feliciano and Fernando are even smaller than he is (tennis wise).
    I was thinking more along the lines of Moyà, JC Ferrero, Costa etc. Maybe he didn’t compete with them directly for a lot of years, but I will easily remember them and Rafa over Ferrer when I’m old and grey

No. I agree with the no slams, no Hall criteria, particularly when he only played in one slam final.

One note about Ferrer. Even though he is one of my favorite players and a definite overachiever taking his entire career into context, he actually underachieved earlier in his career at Roland Garros and had a few too many losses in slams when he was up two sets to none.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

He could still get in IF he continues to make an important contribution to the support--just in different ways. E.g., starting a tennis academy that turns out some highly talented players that go on to win majors, as a tennis commentator, as a coach, etc. So there's still a path for him in that regard. But I have no idea what his plans are or to what degree he wants to remain tied to the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Safin won two slams.
    that's what I wrote, but with bad syntax.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    He could still get in IF he continues to make an important contribution to the support--just in different ways. E.g., starting a tennis academy that turns out some highly talented players that go on to win majors, as a tennis commentator, as a coach, etc. So there's still a path for him in that regard. But I have no idea what his plans are or to what degree he wants to remain tied to the sport.
    If he remains involved in tennis, the DC captaincy is his when he wants it, and I guess that the DF Academy would be a success.
    As long as he doesn't kill the students with insane conditioning drills ("You have to jog to the courts, UPHILL, under the sun at noon, carrying all your rackets PLUS your trainer's equipment. The courts are 10 kilometers away. Now, GET GOING!")
    Starry starry night