Re: Tennis' Gimelstob Problem

Color nobody surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

He simply cannot help himself. I wondered if his quip about the victim later that day was going to cause him trouble. This is truly the mark of someone who is not used to being forced to suffer the consequences of one's actions. The people who created, nurtured, or enabled that part of his persona did him absolutely no favors.

They chose the 5 6 finalists for the vacant spot.

Christopher Clarey
    ‏Verified account @christophclarey

ATP board candidate list from Americas has been whittled down to finalists to present in Rome next week. List I'm hearing: ex top 10 Nicolas Lapentti, ex- No. 1 doubles Mark Knowles, former ATP player Nicolas Pereira, former ATP exec Weller Evans, Austin Nunn & Brandon Burke

"Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Nothing against Weller, but I'm rooting for Nicolas Lapentti.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Weller Evans (USA)

Evans, now 64, is the longtime former ATP Tour manager and executive vice-president, player services. He retired in 2006 after 25 years. He also was an account executive at IMG in 1983-84

He served on the (then) Men’s Tennis Council from 1985-1989 as one of the three player representatives on a council that also included reps from the ITF and the tournaments.

Evans played on the Tour occasionally, from 1981 through 1989 – almost exclusively in doubles. But there is no record of his having won a match.

Nicolás Lapentti (ECU)

From Ecuador, the 42-year-old reached No. 6 in the ATP Tour rankings in 1999, and has five career singles titles.

He is from an accomplished tennis family. His brothers Giovanni and Leonardo also played professionally.

And his uncle, Andrés Gomez, and cousins Roberto and Emilio Gomez have done the same. Gomez, notably, is the 1990 French Open champion.

Lapentti played in 38 Davis Cup ties from 1993 through 2010, posting a 41-16 record in singles.

He ran for the presidency of the Ecuadorian Tennis Federation in 2012, and served for several years. He remains on the federation’s board.

Lapentti currently is involved in a lot of different areas. He has a television production company called Play On Media. And he is president of a family-owned real estate development outside Guayaquil called Bahia Muyoyo.
    I went back to the article about the 15 candidates to reread the 2 finalists.

For the record, people have identified Weller Evans as the closest thing to a Gimelstob lackey from the very beginning, and assumed he would be a shoe in. They're old friends, and Rothenberg found a quote from Evans calling Gimelstob "the conscience of the sport."

Nadal said publicly that he would like for the candidate to be a Spanish speaker.

Lapentti should get Nadal, pro-Spanish, and anti-Gimelstob support.

Evans should get Djokovic, pro-American, and pro-Gimelstob support.

I assume Evans will win easily, but we'll see what kind of pressure is put on the council in the next few months.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Nothing against Weller, but I'm rooting for Nicolas Lapentti.
    Okay. I take it back. All sorts of stuff against Weller. He never even reached scrub status. I'm rooting for Nicolas Lapentti.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678