Agree Agree:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Predictions : Week of 042219

This contest is closed to new participants. If you participated in the contest since January 1,2010 or you signed up on or before Monday December 31,2018 you are eligible to participate.

We have four events to predict this week. The ATP is playing at Barcelona and Budapest while the WTA is playing at Istanbul and Stuttgart.

ATP BRACKETS

Barcelona : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...PBARCELONA.htm Predictions are due before play starts on Thursday at 11 AM local(USA: 5 AM EDT - 2 AM PDT)

Budapest : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/pc2018/brackets/042219ATPBUDAPEST.htm Predictions are due before play starts on Thursday at 11 AM local (USA: 5 AM EDT - 2 AM PDT)

WTA BRACKETS

Istanbul : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...TAISTANBUL.htm Predictions are due before play starts on Wednesday at 11 AM local (USA: 4 AM EDT - 1 AM PDT)

Stuttgart : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...ASTUTTGART.htm Predictions are due before play starts on Thursday at 11:30 AM local (USA: 5:30 AM EDT - 2:30 AM PDT)

Dates and time are subject to change

After the deadlines pass, you will be able to find everyone's picks at:
    http://www.talkabouttennis.com/conte...19allpicks.htm
    Last edited by patrick; 04-23-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Re: Predictions : Week of 042219

Bump - Budapest says it has a Thursday deadline, but it looks like it's ready for picks now (only 2 matches remain from round of 16)
    My Happy Place

Istanbul bracket? Currently due in less than 10 hours? Bracket seems a bit of a mess, for example: One of the drop downs has Siniakova vs Kuzmova....but Siniakova lost ot Rybakina and Kuzmova lost to Strycova.
    Last edited by texasniteowl; 04-23-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atlpam View Post
    Bump - Budapest says it has a Thursday deadline, but it looks like it's ready for picks now (only 2 matches remain from round of 16)
    Only 2 2nd round matches are scheduled for Wednesday; therefore, the Thursday deadline.
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

Surely we are not predicting Istanbul in a few hours. The bracket doesn't seem to correspond to the match results.
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

Looks like the bracket has been updated!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Second time in three weeks this has happened...I get that we're busy with real life so can be tough to get brackets pickable, and that's fine.. But if the brackets are unpickable just hours before deadline...shouldn't deadline be extended to be fair? I only was able to get to this one today because I am starting work at 2 AM local today.

At the very least, when it is updated can whoever updates at least post that? Two weeks ago I had to just keep refreshing until it got updated...if someone had posted that they had fixed deadline would've saved the constant refreshing.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSkan View Post
    Surely we are not predicting Istanbul in a few hours. The bracket doesn't seem to correspond to the match results.
    Not happy that the deadline for Istanbul has passed and it will go down for me as a missed event. I have a few concerns. My question/observation above above wasn't answered. I wonder, then, how much time was actually available between when the bracket was corrected and updated and the deadline for entry. I would like to know that and for that to be posted.

I refreshed multiple times without seeing any change to the bracket. I checked the Live Scores results through TAT right to the end of yesterday's play and wrote down them down to try to make provisional picks, but could not correlate them to the bracket structure that TAT had on line. Many of the bracket lines simply had "Q" listed. So it didn't make sense to me to try to post a provisional entry at that time.

IMHO, if correct brackets aren't available 8 hours [a reasonable night's sleep] before the deadline, the event should be taken off the books. Otherwise, it doesn't appear to me that there is an even playing field in terms of participating in the event, and the resulting benefits, which strikes me as unfair and out of character with TAT's principles.

I appreciate the hard work and diligence that goes into the contest, but I'm disappointed in this case. Thanks for listening.
    TIHBS TIHBW

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

If it was updated when Texasniteowl posted, then we had 4 hours...all after midnight for anyone in eastern North America. I was lucky I was working early today I guess.

(PS Glad to hear someone else voicing an opinion about this... when I mentioned it two weeks ago no one else said a word at all and was worried no one else had any issues with it.)
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 04-24-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    If it was updated when Texasniteowl posted, then we had 4 hours...all after midnight for anyone in eastern North America. I was lucky I was working early today I guess.

(PS Glad to hear someone else voicing an opinion about this... when I mentioned it two weeks ago no one else said a word at all and was worried no one else had any issues with it.)
    Miles had posted the following suggestion back in December to deal with this:

"I wish we would at least try a standard deadline every week since most players seem to be in North America anyway. It would eliminate the missed deadline problem. And it should create less work for the mods, and would add a fun twist to the contest since at times matches might still be in progress while we are predicting them, and at other times weather could wreak havoc on the draw and we wind up predicting R-32. Sometimes it’s just fun to mix it up. And I say this as someone who does well in the yearly predictions with the current format."

I guess there are pros and cons to any model, but I do like the idea of something more consistent. If we can't get an event up in time for whatever reason then maybe it's not worth including. Otherwise we could have standings that reflect last minute johnny-on-the-spot entries for lesser tournaments with marginal players/Q vs Q matches.

Thoughts?
    TIHBS TIHBW

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I can't tell you an exact time I updated it. It was yesterday sometime around 7pm Eastern or so. Right after I saw texasniteowls 6pm post. I guess that puts it about 9 hours before the deadline.
    I disapprove of this message

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I have an auto - refreshing tool prepared, but it's tied to the closing tool as it stops then then closes the bracket. The issue lies when a deadline changes or is unclear. I fell out of the habit of using it due to a couple times where a deadline shifted and a bracket "closed" early as a result. Causing a few instances of mini-outcry some may recall.
    I disapprove of this message

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    I can't tell you an exact time I updated it. It was yesterday sometime around 7pm Eastern or so. Right after I saw texasniteowls 6pm post. I guess that puts it about 9 hours before the deadline.
    Let's be realistic, for people in EST, that's about four hours since most folks with regular jobs probably aren't up too late into the evening on a weeknight. Atlantic Time is one hour ahead of EST, so someone there would have even less time, you know, unless they didn't start working until 2am.

So your suggestion that we all had nine hours is a bit misleading.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

I don't understand why, in these situations, it's so difficult to just shift the deadline a day (or whatever) just to level the playing field.

Is it better to have a contest where everyone is able to get picks in, or one where the outcome is decided by missed deadlines?
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Let's be realistic, for people in EST, that's about four hours since most folks with regular jobs probably aren't up too late into the evening on a weeknight. Atlantic Time is one hour ahead of EST, so someone there would have even less time, you know, unless they didn't start working until 2am.
    Hey I resemble that remark. It might be my own personal TAT time zone? (Do we have any South Americans on TAT in that time zone?)

I agree that the fair thing would seem to be to shift the deadline a day if there is a delay in getting brackets ready - is there any reason not to do that? We'd get more freebies than normal sure, but it's not like that would cause any actual issues. For the James and Patricks and other admins that should ease the "pressure" if there are any delays so seems like win-win to me.

There is little more deflating than missing a predictions deadline - it's a nearly year long contest and you can spend weeks making sure you get your picks in at random hours of the day/several days, only to wind up missing one deadline which could be enough to cost you. Me and Suliso had a year long battle for ATP a couple of years ago decided by the very last match of the year in the ATP Final. If I had lost from missing a deadline ... it would've been very annoying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast