21 Kontaveit, Anett (EST)
    22 Ostapenko, Jelena (LAT)
    23 Bencic, Belinda (SUI)
    25 Collins, Danielle (USA)
    26 Vekic, Donna (CRO)
    IN 27 Hsieh Su-Wei (TPE)
    IN 28 Tsurenko, Lesia (UKR)
    IN 32 Pavlyuchenkova, Anastasia (RUS)
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Re: WTA P Stuttgart 4/22-4/28 2019

Qualifying Entry List

24 Hsieh Su-Wei (TPE) TO MAIN DRAW
    26 Tsurenko, Lesia (UKR) TO MAIN DRAW

32 Cibulkova, Dominika (SVK)
    56 Alexandrova, Ekaterina (RUS)
    78 Sorribes Tormo, Sara (ESP)
    84 Barthel, Mona (GER)
    86 Zvonareva, Vera (RUS)
    91 Pera, Bernarda (USA)
    92 Jakupovic, Dalila (SLO)
    93 Pliskova, Kristyna (CZE)
    103 Minella, Mandy (LUX)
    104 Siegemund, Laura (GER)
    117 Blinkova, Anna (RUS)
    121 Smitkova, Tereza (CZE)
    132 Korpatsch, Tamara (GER)
    140 Niculescu, Monica (ROU)
    141 Lepchenko, Varvara (USA)
    147 Bolsova, Aliona (ESP)
    148 Flink, Varvara (RUS)
    151 Gorgodze, Ekaterine (GEO)
    154 Martincova, Tereza (CZE)
    156 Samsonova, Liudmila (RUS)
    164 Dodin, Oceane (FRA) SR
    169 Grammatikopoulou, Valentini (GRE)
    171 Teichmann, Jil (SUI)
    173 Zavatska, Katarina (UKR)
    178 Lottner, Antonia (GER)
    182 Frech, Magdalena (POL)
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Sharapova out of Stuttgart: ‘I’m just not ready to compete at the highest level’

Former champion Maria Sharapova announced her withdrawal from the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart.

STEPHANIE LIVAUDAIS
    April 18, 2019

STUTTGART, Germany - Former three-time champion Maria Sharapova has withdrawn from the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart due to a continuing right shoulder injury, the tournament has announced on Thursday.

Sharapova had been awarded a Top 20 wildcard into the Premier-level indoor red clay event.

“To all my amazing fans in Germany that travel to see me play my favourite tournament in Stuttgart every year, I am really sorry to inform you that I have just ran out of time to be ready to play in Stuttgart,” Sharapova told fans in a statement.

“I am making very good progress but just not ready to compete at the highest level.”

A champion in Stuttgart in 2012-2014, Sharapova has been away from the courts since the St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy in January with her shoulder injury struggle - an injury that she’s battled with since undergoing rotator cuff surgery in 2008.

After skipping the Middle East swing, Sharapova announced in February that she underwent “a small procedure” on her right shoulder that left her out of Indian Wells and Miami.

"As many of you know, I have struggled with shoulder pain since last summer,” she said. “For ten weeks post US Open, I focused on getting my rotator cuff and scapula strong to support a surgically repaired fraying tendon and a small labrum tear. Although my shoulder got strong, it didn't help the pain on impact.

"After a few different opinions in a few different countries, last week I had a small procedure done which will take a few weeks to heal.

"Although this has been a very long process, I am incredibly committed to getting back strong and more importantly without the pain I was playing with at the beginning of the year."

Sharapova’s next scheduled tournament is the Mutua Madrid Open, a Premier Mandatory event which begins on May 5.

Other withdrawals from Stuttgart include Elina Svitolina, Sloane Stephens, Danielle Collins and Dominika Cibulkova.

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/shara...level’-0

Qualifying Draw

[1] Alexandrova, Ekaterina
    vs WC Friedsam, Anna-Lena
    Ormaechea, Paula vs Lottner, Antonia
    Dodin, Oceane vs Ponchet, Jessika
    Paquet, Chloe vs [8] Smitkova, Tereza

[2] Sorribes Tormo, Sara vs Korpatsch, Tamara
    Lepchenko, Varvara vs Gorgodze, Ekaterine
    Zaja, Anna vs Grammatikopoulou, Valentini
    Flink, Varvara vs [6] Pera, Bernarda

[3] Zvonareva, Vera vs Zarycka, Anastasia
    WC Lisicki, Sabine vs Shinikova, Isabella
    Zavatska, Katarina vs Kalinskaya, Anna
    WC Rueffer, Lena vs [5] Minella, Mandy

[4] Jakupovic, Dalila vs Gatto-Monticone, Giulia
    WC Hodzic, Mina vs Frech, Magdalena
    Samsonova, Liudmila vs Minnen, Greet
    Martincova, Tereza vs [7] Blinkova, Anna

Main Draw

[1] Osaka, Naomi
    /Bye
    Wang, Qiang vs Hsieh, Su-Wei
    Mertens, Elise vs Kasatkina, Daria
    Vekic, Donna vs [5] Kerber, Angelique

[4] Pliskova, Karolina/Bye
    Muguruza, Garbiñe vs Azarenka, Victoria
    Pavlyuchenkova, Anastasia vs Goerges, Julia
    Garcia, Caroline vs [8] Kontaveit, Anett

[7] Sevastova, Anastasija vs Ostapenko, Jelena
    Tsurenko, Lesia vs WC Siegemund, Laura
    Qualifier vs WC Cibulkova, Dominika
    Bye/[3] Kvitova, Petra

[6] Bertens, Kiki vs Qualifier
    Qualifier vs Bencic, Belinda
    Qualifier vs WC Petkovic, Andrea
    Bye/[2] Halep, Simona

Did Dominika withdraw and then get back in?

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Did Dominika withdraw and then get back in?
    I've looked around and it seems that she withdrew from Qualies but got into the MD as a WC because she won the YEC a few years ago. That makes her eligible for top 20 WC per a rule change in 2018

The Serena-Sharapova-Azarenka Rule

Until this year, International-level tournaments were allowed to take so-called “top-20” wild cards left unused by the WTA and award them to players not only in the top 20, but who also were former Grand Slam, WTA Tour Finals or Premier Mandatory tournament champions or had been ranked No. 1.

But Premier and Premier 5 events didn’t have the same flexibility. Those wild cards had to go to top-20 players.

As of 2018, all the tournament levels will be able to use those wild cards under the more relaxed criteria. In other words, any tournament except the Premier Mandatories will be able to offer the likes of Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova or Victoria Azarenka one of those top-20 wild cards (subject to the wild-card limits).
    https://tennis.life/2017/11/28/signi...wta-tour-2018/

I didn't know about that rule change, but did know that YEC get treated like GS winners where wild cards are concerned. But in that Sharapova article, at the bottom, it actually mentions other withdraws from the tournament and lists Domi among them. So when I was looking at the draw you posted, I was very confused.

I didn't know about that rule change, but did know that YEC get treated like GS winners where wild cards are concerned. But in that Sharapova article, at the bottom, it actually mentions other withdraws from the tournament and lists Domi among them. So when I was looking at the draw you posted, I was very confused.
    Oh I agree. I noticed it when I posted the draw but went on to other stuff and forgot to check why. Interesting.

Maybe she found out about the wild card after entering the qualies and then subsequently withdrew? It does seem like a weird thing.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Yeah, definitely seems weird to me. But I admit, this could happen far more than I ever realized, where players change their minds like this and have the ability to accept a wild card. I wouldn't have noticed that Domi had withdrawn in the first place had it not been for that Sharapova article drawing attention to it. Without that, I would've thought she took a WC into the event and nothing more.

WTA #1 is again on the line this week - Osaka needs to win one or two wins depending on how Kvitova & Halep do. Either would need to win the title to have a chance at #1.

I think Osaka will survive again.
    Roger forever

ORDER OF PLAY - TUESDAY, APRIL 23, 2019

CENTRE COURT start 11:30 am

E. Mertens (BEL) vs D. Kasatkina (RUS)
    [7] A. Sevastova (LAT) vs J. Ostapenko (LAT)
    [Q] S. Sorribes Tormo (ESP) vs [WC] A. Petkovic (GER)

Not Before 6:30 pm
    L. Tsurenko (UKR) vs [WC] L. Siegemund (GER)
    [6] K. Bertens (NED) vs [Q] A. Friedsam (GER)

COURT 1 start 2:00 pm

[WC] A. Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) / L. Safarova (CZE) vs L. Kichenok (UKR) / N. Kichenok (UKR)

Not Before 4:00 pm
    [Q] G. Minnen (BEL) vs [WC] D. Cibulkova (SVK)

Not Before 6:00 pm
    [1] N. Melichar (USA) / K. Peschke (CZE)
    vs D. Jurak (CRO) / R. Olaru (ROU)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast