Agree Agree:  21
Likes Likes:  142
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Re: Great Moments in the History of Music

This is sort of Black Music History (as in African-American). Since I'm on my way to a mini family reunion this weekend, this is a good time for this one. Summer party, BBQ, family reunion? Basically any event, especially in the summer? It is very likely that you will hear this song, and many times, if the music is planned at least like a there's a DJ, it's the last song played. This is one that gets passed through generations, those in their 70s know it as well as those in the 20s since everyone's parents kept listening to it.

Maze featuring Frankie Beverly. They have many songs that are basically household favorites on R&B radio - Joy and Pain, We Are One, Can't Get Over You, After the Morning After. Their sound is a combo of R&B and soul and funk. A good deal of this music was recorded in the 70s and 80s, but it is still played like it came out recently. But Before I Let Go is the one that gets played the most and like I said, if there's any party or event? People might look at you strange if it doesn't get played. It's like the unofficial black summer anthem. At the Essence Music Festival, which is the alpha and omega of music festivals for black people, if they perform at the festival, which they've done more often than not, the band closes out the festival and this is the final song.

This is the recorded version that is played on the radio. Frankie and Maze are great performers, it is definitely even better when you have the privilege of experiencing this live.

No matter what is going on if/when this comes on everyone smiles and relaxes. Thanks for posting this homage to Frankie Beverley and Maze.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

They were(or still) headliners of a many concerts(festivals).
    2017 & 2018 Australian Open Champions

I'm at my family reunion. And We Are One by Frankie Beverly and Maze is on right now. Haha!

Edit - and now, several songs later, Before I Let Go is playing now. Like I said, almost a requirement.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 07-27-2019 at 03:11 PM.

This thread is starting to get so long I can't remember everything that's been posted so far. Re-watching Bohemian Rhapsody and then found there Live Aid performance on youtube.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've wanted to post Queen no less than 129 times, but how do you choose? A full set performed at Live Aid is as good a choice as any. I had never seen it and thoroughly enjoyed it, skatingfan. What a scene...

So this is a classic. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham!. Holds a special place in my heart because it was the song I danced to at my jazz recital when I was maybe 7 or 8. The dance was awesome, was my favorite dance recital and I had plenty that were great when I was young since I had them every year. But most of my recitals were for tap and ballet, the jazz class was different, something separate I took elsewhere after school, away from my main weekend dance lessons. So much fun to have modern music you recognize when you're dancing at that age. Despite remembering a ton from my other recitals, I couldn't tell you what music we danced to. This was of course the 80's (was there any other time for Wham?), and when I was still in San Francisco and this was the first time I met another girl named Jasmin (different spelling than my own, but still). A memorable time for me. There is no video to my knowledge, but definitely pictures. So, a true music classic that charted #1 on UK and US charts, which was fairly rare at the time, but with a personal story and really while I'll never forget it.

Last edited by JazzNU; 08-14-2019 at 05:57 PM.

I love George Michael. Did you know he's done very, very well on R&B radio? Always. Even with Wham, Careless Whisper was a regular play. Father Figure charted very high and is still something you'll hear from time to time get played. One More Try, Jesus to a Child, the As cover he did with Mary J. Blige, all did great. Basically something from almost every album he's done has gotten a good deal of play on R&B stations. One of my favorites? Heard it today when I stopped in Starbucks. My barista is super young and just adorable and he's like "who sings this song? Michael something?" LOL! As I told him this is Faith by George Michael, and I know every single word. It's a guarantee I'll start singing it when it comes on as long as the venue is appropriate. When people look at me like, you know every word to this? I look back like, why don't you know every word? Don't knock my good taste!

Faith is an exceptional album, recognized as one of the best ever made. It had either 5 or 6 top singles, a true rarity off of a single album.

Last edited by JazzNU; 08-14-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Knew You Were Waiting with Aretha deserves a mention!

Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Knew You Were Waiting with Aretha deserves a mention!
    I could've posted several more for sure, especially Father Figure and Freedom, particularly since besides those being among my favorites from him, those are two of his more iconic videos.
    Last edited by JazzNU; 08-14-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Speaking of Aretha (please tell me this is NOT the first time she has been mentioned in this thread)... How about this... 5:04 - 7:00 is just... quintessential Aretha. I'm sure there are better performances of other songs performed by Aretha, but this is my favorite Aretha song, so I am partial to it.

At the very least, I'm positive @Ti posted something from Aretha very early on in the thread.

My news radio station is great and they have different features they do outside of the traffic, weather and news that they give regularly and one is a "this day in history" segment. On today's they said that on this day in 1978, Grease hit #1 on the Billboard charts. So on August 26, 1978, Grease aka Grease is the Word written by Barry Gibb and performed by Frankie Valli for the motion picture soundtrack of Grease cemented its place in music history. Also, just a great song.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Okay. Jody Watley enjoyed her greatest commercial success in the late 80s and early 90s. Probably her biggest hit ever as a solo artist was her second single--Lookin' for a New Love. Everyone has heard it.

Fast forward to 1995--a few years after her split with Andre Cymone. Jody's career was on decline. In 1995, she released an album titled Affection. I bought that CD for one reason... The last track on the album was a live performance of Lookin' for a New Love recorded in Osaka, Japan in 1994. I just expected it to be a remixed dance version.

But it turned out that track was a live, stripped down, jazz version of Lookin' for a New Love, which I never would have thought was possible--much less that it would actually work. I immediately fell in love with it.

Then in 1998, I bought my house. The CD somehow got lost in the move. Since then, I have turned the internet upside down trying to find THAT obscure track.

After years of searching, it turns out Jody uploaded all of the tracks from her old albums on her YouTube channel back in February. I finally found it.

Anyway, I thought I would post it here as perhaps someone here might enjoy it as much as I do. Thus far, a grand total of 224 people have managed to find it--and no doubt most of them were looking for the original.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789