Agree Agree:  11
Likes Likes:  60
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Great Moments in the History of Music

West Wing Season 2 Episode 10 Noel
    Yo Yo Ma performing this piece in the climax of an episode about PTSD. The music brings the action of the episode to a dramatic conclusion. i remember choking back tears watching this scene play out the first time I watched it.

As someone has already pointed out, we are going in random order with our "greatest moments".....

So.....In thinking of great moments in Broadway lyrics, I am sure to come up with many that I think are wonderful. One that came to me in the car yesterday is the bridge in "Send in the Clowns" from "A Little Night Music."

Just when I'd stopped opening doors,
    Finally knowing the one that I wanted was yours,
    Making my entrance again with my usual flair,
    Sure of my lines......No one is there.

Sondheim is responsible for a host of wonderful lyrics......clever and beautiful, usually at the same time.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan View Post
    West Wing Season 2 Episode 10 Noel
    Yo Yo Ma performing this piece in the climax of an episode about PTSD. ]
    Funny how you come across things multiple times in one week. This piece is also used to great effect on the show Daredevil (season one episode eight - great stuff), which Iíve thoroughly been enjoying watching. But thatís for the TV thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Music's played a really important role in my life, as it does for many if not most people. I think, after the influence of my immediate family, song lyrics were probably the most influential thing in shaping how I see the world. Outside of classical music, I always tend to gravitate more to songs with simple melodies and meaningful or clever lyrics. The most influential stuff was Russian (my favorite band turns 50 this year! They're reportedly the second oldest active band after the Rolling Stones, although they're considerably younger, having started in high school).

But this spoke to me when I was pretty young (11?) and still helps me through life sometimes.

Also, this song was recorded at a bad stage of Freddie Mercury's disease when he was weak and the band wasn't sure he could produce the strong vocals required. Then he knocked it out of the park, so it's a great moment in that sense. Sadly, it was never performed live in concert.

Since I have so little to contribute in this thread (although I am loving it) and we are slightly moving into the GREAT MOMENTS IN THE HISTORY OF OUR MUSIC...
    dsotmrtft.jpg

It is my avatar everywhere else.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I just want folks to share moments in music that were important to them.
    All of mine would be from Kids Incorporated or American Idol. I don't want to defile your thread.
    Last edited by MeganFernandez; Today at 08:07 AM.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    All of mine would be from Kids Incorporated or American Idol. I don't want to defile your thread.
    I mean, a video from The Voice was posted above. Maybe post a few that were particularly important to you? And I never watched Kids Incorporated, but Rahsaan Patterson as an adult is a favorite of mine.

As for defile, just don't post Stacy's Star Spangled Banner rendition...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234