Agree Agree:  15
Likes Likes:  124
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Re: Great Moments in the History of Music

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I don't think so. Please share that if you have a chance.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

"Someone Like You" is quite the song. I first heard it in hot yoga class and ended up asking the instructor the name of the song. I love the Glee mashup of it with "Rumor Has It."

I associate "Rolling in the Deep" with the ATP Bercy tournament I attended, where I thought it was cheeky (if not borderline cruel) of the DJ to play it when a losing doubles team was about to leave the court.

Peter Mayer is friends of the former choir director at my UU church, so he's come here for gigs, "Blue Boat Home" is a staple in our services, and "Green" is one of my favorite Christmas-season songs. (And, "Straw House Down" is hilarious.) A friend in Boston was so taken with his work that she ended up arranging a concert with him at <em>her</em> UU church. And (splashing in the shallow end of the pool) when I first met him (around 18 years ago), I admit my initial thoughts included, "My, you're nice to look at."

Talking about "Someone Like You" has reminded me of Joan Armatrading's "Dark Truths," which I first heard on a co-worker's mix tape in the mid-1990s:

In frequent rotation the past few days: Mika's "Last Party"
    Inspired by Freddie Mercury, to whom Mika has been compared.

Interviewer: Tell me about how Freddie Mercury inspired the song “Last Party” from No Place in Heaven.

Mika: It’s about, in a sense, Freddie Mercury when he found out he was HIV positive, and had this very strong reaction that kind of manifested into him closing himself up in a nightclub for a couple days and having this mad party. It’s probably a myth, I don’t know how true it is, but certainly it’s a story that’s quite well-known. It made me think about when you find out terrible news, how do you deal with it? I wanted to put that into a song as best I could, and tried to make it as intimate as possible and this thing that I crafted and the way I produced it, I tried to make it as out-of-context of contemporary pop music as I could make it. And it’s weird because with pop music, you have a particular opportunity to describe the things that are really hard to describe a normal daily life or normal words. This strange combination of terrible news and that rush of adrenaline -- I know because in my life I’ve had all these awful things happen but this strange rush of adrenaline at the same time and trying to convey that in a song is almost one of the most representative ways of that strange clash of emotions.
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...well-interview

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    "Someone Like You" is quite the song. I first heard it in hot yoga class and ended up asking the instructor the name of the song. I love the Glee mashup of it with "Rumor Has It."

I associate "Rolling in the Deep" with the ATP Bercy tournament I attended, where I thought it was cheeky (if not borderline cruel) of the DJ to play it when a losing doubles team was about to leave the court.

Peter Mayer is friends of the former choir director at my UU church, so he's come here for gigs, "Blue Boat Home" is a staple in our services, and "Green" is one of my favorite Christmas-season songs. (And, "Straw House Down" is hilarious.) A friend in Boston was so taken with his work that she ended up arranging a concert with him at <em>her</em> UU church. And (splashing in the shallow end of the pool) when I first met him (around 18 years ago), I admit my initial thoughts included, "My, you're nice to look at."
    I frequently listen to the Glee Someone Like You/Rumour Has It mashup. I didn't plan to add it to this thread, but since you mentioned it, it's great.

Okay, so @dry mentioned I wasn't posting many female artists. So here are a few. We'll start with Whitney. And she is actually very significant to music history. An all time favorite. I can sing just about every word on the correct beat of the I'm Your Baby Tonight album without trying. That's her best front to back album for sure. But I listen to all Whitney music, and with the exception of her later stuff when her voice was suffering, I love basically everything. I have many, many favorites across her discography, but am posting this one. Easily one of her best, but one that isn't well known if you don't own her albums. This is from her second album (Whitney). That one is best known for two more upbeat songs, but it has two slow ones that are among the very best recordings she's ever made, this one and For the Love of You, the Isley Brothers cover.

Next up is Toni Braxton. Also an all-time favorite, probably only second to Whitney and possibly due to just not breaking out til later than her. Toni burst onto the scene in 1992. Easy to remember when it was because her first two singles are on the Boomerang soundtrack, one of the very best movie soundtracks ever made, not on her album. She recorded one with Babyface and a second on her own, based off of a great line from the movie. She skyrocketed from there. I own all Toni Braxton albums, they are excellent front to back albums. Now this song, it's actually not on one of her albums. The title on this video is incorrect, it is a Kenny G song that features Toni Braxton, not the other way around. On her second album Secrets, he returned the favor and is featured on one of her songs (love that one too). If you're unaware, Kenny G does very well with the R&B crowd, he has many songs like this where he is featured. I wasn't sure which of Toni's songs to post, but this is a favorite that goes under the radar because of where it was released though it was played fairly often on R&B radio.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was during a time when labels never released more than four or five songs from an album as singles. Take this exact same song, put it on a different album with only one other good song, and it easily would have been top 10--at least.

You probably know of Brandy. If you don't know her music well, you probably know at least a few songs. What you might not know is how big she was in R&B and how great her albums were, huge impact in the 90s. Her and Monica were popular at the same time, but Brandy was better and it wasn't even close because Monica had some good hits, while Brandy had hits and fantastic albums. Put it on and let it go. That's from the first album on. Remarkable for a teenager to have that kind of quality, but she did. Now, this is a song from her second album Never Say Never. And this is where you know her decision-making led to a remarkably better career than Monica. Brandy met and liked the very young producer Rodney Jerkins, who produces using the name Darkchild. He was around 19 or 20 when they first met. She asked him to do the entire album. He produced the entire thing and wrote a ton of the songs. It's excellent. And while you can't know it from listening to just one song, it's a masterpiece of an album, the flow from one song to the next, sometimes taking beats and blending from one to the next. He's immensely talented. You might not know his name but he's done a ton of producing some of the best music over the last two decades. For instance, if you've ever listened to Sam Smith's Grammy award winning Stay With Me, then you've heard one of his productions. Sometimes he's the original producer like with Brandy, sometimes he takes a song and makes it better, like Sam's. Sam's original cut didn't win the Grammy, Rodney's Darkchild remix version did. Brandy teamed with him early on and helped to establish him as an in-demand producer, only Mary J. I believe really worked with him before her, but his early success is mostly associated with Brandy.

This is Angel in Disguise. The song technically starts about a minute in, but this is telling a story from the beginning, and it all sort of plays in to what it is saying. Background vocals done by the singer, songwriter, and producer Joe, who also co-wrote this song and is a multi-platinum recording artist on his own.

Final one, this is Groove Theory. Ranks as one of my favorite groups despite them basically having one album, it's that good. The group consists of Amel Larrieux and Bryce Wilson. Basically Amel is the vocals and Bryce does the instrumental and arrangement and he's a songwriter and producer. Amel's voice is amazing. Groove Theory was big and had quite the impact for just having the one album. Music still gets played on the radio today. I'm fairly certain they were just a tad too early in coming out with this music, they did really well, but not as good as they would have had the Neo Soul movement begun. They were about 2-3 years too early. Amel also has had a good career as a single artist since Groove Theory's debut and Bryce has had a good career as a producer. Tell Me was their biggest hit. I thought about putting up that or Keep Tryin one of their other hits from the album. But the one that I love for showcasing Amel's voice the most is this one. Hello It's Me is a cover of the Isley Brothers song (which was actually a cover of someone else but with substantial arrangement changes).

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

JazzNU, would you consider it a fair assessment if someone suggested that you seem to be particularly vulnerable (in your tastes, what you choose to listen to) to ballads? You seem to favor ballads (and mid-tempo), especially in the R&B arena. Which would be absolutely fine. It's not like we get to control what makes our personal neurotransmitters go off... But would you consider that a fair assessment? Or is that just a reflection of what you have posted recently?

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    but it has two slow ones that are among the very best recordings she's ever made, this one and For the Love of You, the Isley Brothers cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Now this song, it's actually not on one of her albums. The title on this video is incorrect, it is a Kenny G song that features Toni Braxton, not the other way around. On her second album Secrets, he returned the favor and is featured on one of her songs (love that one too). If you're unaware, Kenny G does very well with the R&B crowd, he has many songs like this where he is featured.
    You know I think up what I'm writing as I go along. But to reference back to my comment in my Toni Braxton post. Whitney's For the Love of You? Kenny G is on the sax in that one too. And Narada Michael Walden is on the drums, 10 points if you know that name. He produced that album.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    JazzNU, would you consider it a fair assessment if someone suggested that you seem to be particularly vulnerable (in your tastes, what you choose to listen to) to ballads? You seem to favor ballads (and mid-tempo), especially in the R&B arena. Which would be absolutely fine. It's not like we get to control what makes our personal neurotransmitters go off... But would you consider that a fair assessment? Or is that just a reflection of what you have posted recently?
    Not really, at least on the ballad front, I'd say it's highly skewed because of what I'm posting here. I think I've said I'm not posting some of my favorite music here because I have no idea if it would be appreciated (there seems to be a love of classical music among many forum members, for instance) and also because I don't want to offend anyone. So, like from older stuff to new, I doubt I'll post almost any rap or hip-hop, and while I'm not here for much of the current decade of music in that genre, I have plenty I love from the 90s and 00s. Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, Black Star, Heavy D, Biggie, Method, etc.

As for mid-tempo, that's probably true merely because that's likely what most R&B music is going to be classified as more often than not. But most artists do a lot of more mid tempo, a few fast, and a few slower than mid tempo. I won't care as long as it's a good song. For instance Beyonce, Usher, Bruno Mars, and Justin Timberlake are favorites and some of their faster songs are my favorites from them.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678