Agree Agree:  15
Likes Likes:  124
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great Moments in the History of Music

I have wanted to start this thread for quite some time.

What I hope it will be is a thread where we share videos of performances with specific markers for great moments in the history of music... Bits and pieces of music that resonate with us. Not a "all of this is great". I'm not sure if this will work out, which is why I delayed starting the thread. But I am so interested in brief moments in music that are important to you, I figured I'd give it a try. We'll see how it goes....

It can also be something that resonates with you that you want to share.

No genres are off limits.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Great Moments in the History of Music

So, I'll start with Van Cliburn's rendition of Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto.... For me, one of the greatest moments in the history of music is 35:36 - 36:26.

I just love it.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

To give you another example of how far flung this could be... 2:27-2:40

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I just want folks to share moments in music that were important to them.

Fantastic idea

I watched this so much last year that I ended up learning the song myself for an audition (which was successful, albeit nowhere in PJ's league):

The closing measures (4:21 - end) take my breath away every time.

... and, here's one of my favorite Voice France clips from last year. Brilliant combination of contestant (a firefighter from Corsica), staging, and song:

Pavarotti and Freni performing Puccini's La Boheme. The perfect performance of the perfect opera.

For my favorite moment, I'll go with 45:22 - 52:00

There are many great moments in opera.....such as the one just mentioned. To add one that most people might not think of:

There are many stunning moments in Poulenc's opera "Dialogues of the Carmelites." Probably the best, as a sum of the drama and the music, is the "Salve Regina" that ends the entire opera. (Spoiler.....this scene will show why there could never be a sequel).
    Another truly great moment in that opera is the "Ave Maria" that ends the first act. The best performance of the "Ave Maria" was by the Metropolitan Opera in 1977.....I could not find that on YouTube. Still, there are many wonderful versions of both on YouTube.

Not accounting for performances, but rather for the music itself, I was once part of a serious discussion in 2004 about "what are opera's greatest moments?"

The closest we came to a consensus opinion on that was "Nessun Dorma" from "Turandot." Done right, that is probably hard to beat....for instance, see Pavarotti again.

Others of opera's greatest moments would undoubtedly include some from Wagner, such as The Ride of the Valkyries and Wotan's Farewell and Magic Fire Music, both from "Die Walküre" of course. Or, "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" from Lohengrin. Or, "Prelude und Liebestod" from "Tristan und Isolde." And lots more....

But many other composers come to mind, such as the great moments from Puccini: "Tosca", "Madame Butterfly", and others.

And my favorite duets from all of opera are from 2 other composers: "Au fond du temple saint" from "The Pearl Fishers" by Bizet (a men's duet); and, "The Flower Duet" from "Lakmé" by Delibes (a women's duet).

Greatest musical moments in ballet.....again a host to pick from. I find the Finale to "Firebird" (Stravinsky) to be hard to beat. But think of all the wonderful moments in "Romeo and Juliet" by Prokofiev and "Don Quixote" by Minkus....and definitely we must include all of the ones by Tchaikovsky.

My 5 favorite symphonies (in no particular order):

Tchaikovsky 4, Shostakovich 5, Elgar 2, Mahler 5, and Dvorak 9. (and by the way, I seem to know no one else for whom Tchaikovsky 4 is their favorite of the Tchaikovsky symphonies.....remember I play the oboe among other instruments, which undoubtedly helps Dvorak 9 be on this list). But if I had to pick my single favorite moment in all of symphonic music, nothing makes me soar like the French horn solo in the finale of Shostakovich 5.
    Last edited by GlennHarman; 04-15-2019 at 06:07 AM. Reason: typo

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    My 5 favorite symphonies (in no particular order):

Tchaikovsky 4, Shostakovich 5, Elgar 2, Mahler 5, and Dvorak 9. (and by the way, I seem to know no one else for whom Tchaikovsky 4 is their favorite of the Tchaikovsky symphonies.....remember I play the oboe among other instruments, which undoubtedly helps Dvorak 9 be on this list). But if I had to pick my single favorite moment in all of symphonic music, nothing makes me soar like the French horn solo in the finale of Shostakovich 5.
    I'd be surprised if you didn't, Glenn! #mostinterestingmanintheworld

I don't ONLY play the oboe... once, after the conductor failed to show I replaced him for the Kiev symphony orchestra during the Cold War (why I was there is a story for a different thread) while playing oboe, triangle and segments of the piano solo.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Love the comment, Drop.....But I really wasn't trying to boast. Anyone who plays the oboe is a bit touched in the head. And I used "oboe-playing" as a justification for being especially fond of Tchaikovsky 4 and Dvorak 9.

By the way.....I was wondering if anyone would comment on the lack of a Beethoven symphony on my list. All of Beethoven's symphonies are wonderful, but none of them touch me the way those five I mentioned do. And I wouldn't put a Beethoven symphony 6th either. Today, after I posted that list (that is a list I have come up with over years, so by no means a new thought), I was wondering what I would put as my 6th favorite symphony. The one I came up with was Saint-Saëns' 3rd (the "Organ Symphony"), which I also just totally love. But all that is totally subjective.

GH

P.S. I did get roped into playing the tambourine once (they needed an extra person and the oboe wasn't doing anything). But I still have to dream about my debut on triangle.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Love the comment, Drop.....But I really wasn't trying to boast. Anyone who plays the oboe is a bit touched in the head. And I used "oboe-playing" as a justification for being especially fond of Tchaikovsky 4 and Dvorak 9.

By the way.....I was wondering if anyone would comment on the lack of a Beethoven symphony on my list. All of Beethoven's symphonies are wonderful, but none of them touch me the way those five I mentioned do. And I wouldn't put a Beethoven symphony 6th either. Today, after I posted that list (that is a list I have come up with over years, so by no means a new thought), I was wondering what I would put as my 6th favorite symphony. The one I came up with was Saint-Saëns' 3rd (the "Organ Symphony"), which I also just totally love. But all that is totally subjective.

GH

P.S. I did get roped into playing the tambourine once (they needed an extra person and the oboe wasn't doing anything). But I still have to dream about my debut on triangle.
    I've played triangle AND tambourine accompanying a choir, so at least I have you beat there. I was also 8 (but it WAS televised!)

(I wasn't implying you were boasting! Just impressed as always).

By the way.....I was wondering if anyone would comment on the lack of a Beethoven symphony on my list. All of Beethoven's symphonies are wonderful, but none of them touch me the way those five I mentioned do. ....
    Beethoven is, of course, a master. Somehow, he never touches me like a Mozart piece does, or Nessum Dorma, or even Rhapsody in Blue.
    I thought I was the only one. His music is great, somehow it does not move me.

And we know you were not boasting because you never do. Which is the reason we sometimes joke about it. You just slip comments like that in the most naturally possible way.
    "There I was, in Babylon, enjoying a chat with Ludwig Wittgenstein..."
    Missing winter...

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Beethoven is, of course, a master. Somehow, he never touches me...
    I thought I was the only one who just never really appreciated Beethoven the way I should. I learned to play Beethoven because I had to. There was only one exception... I was determined to learn the first movement of the 8th Piano Sonata (the popular, much heard, often abused by second-rate pianists Pathétique) after hearing someone else perform it when I was about 16. But that's it. And I had zero desire to learn the second or third movements.

Perhaps part of the problem was that I didn't have sufficient technique to play Beethoven (or Mozart) well, which I realized loud and clear when I learned the first movement of the Pathétique.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast