Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Who are your greatest male players ever(1921-present)?

The reason I pick 1921 is that was the year that no slam event had a 'Challenge Round' that allowed the champion from the previous year a straight ticket into the finals.

Pre Open Era:

Tilden, Perry, Von Cramm, Budge, Gonzalez, Rosewall, Laver, Rosewall, Emerson

Early Open Era(1968-1987), when AO was rotating surfaces and time slots and generally being skipped by many top players

Laver, Ashe, Rosewall, Connors, Borg, McEnroe, Lendl, Wilander, Becker

Modern Open Era(1988-present), the tour is basically set up as it is now with minor changes

Wilander, Lendl, Becker, Edberg, Courier, Sampras, Agassi, Kuerten, Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka

As you can see a # of players straddle 2 eras which makes things even more interesting when discussing who is 'greatest ever'.
    Last edited by FedFanForever; 04-06-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    2017 Australian Open Final - Roger Federer def Rafael Nadal 6-4 3-6 6-1 3-6 6-3
    "I leveled up."

Re: Who are your greatest players ever(1921-present)?

Based on your choices, you might want to rename this to "greatest male players".

Re: Who are your greatest male players ever(1921-present)?

Of course I never saw anybody from the Pre-Open era. But my understanding is that Jack Kramer and Pancho Gonzalez were the very top.
    Laver. He straddled both eras and will always have that asterisk next to his record: 5 years unable to play slams, yet he won 11. The people that know claim he was the best.
    Roger. All the numbers are there. The Slams, the time at #1, the 101 and counting. To be revisited after he retires AND Nole retires, since I believe Novak will pass 20 Slams and perhaps end up with the most important record.
    Starry starry night

Re: Who are your greatest male players ever(1921-present)?

Also in the 1960s there was a pro tour that Rod Laver dominated on. There isn't much talk about that. Also there does not seem to be any desire amongst the fans or ATP to stir up conversation on that era. What will it take, Roger funding a documentary on the early Open Era?
    Last edited by FedFanForever; 04-07-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    2017 Australian Open Final - Roger Federer def Rafael Nadal 6-4 3-6 6-1 3-6 6-3
    "I leveled up."