Agree Agree:  14
Likes Likes:  20
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Re: WTA PM ATP M1000 Miami 3/18 - 3/31 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    It doesn't matter who ends up coaching her. Until she realizes there is more to tennis than see ball hit ball hard she is not going to do well. So far she's resisted any and all attempts to change her approach. As you pointed out the errors were flying off her racquet last night.
    Maybe she knows this, logically, but it's taking a long time to translate into match play. It's a big adjustment to make.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Quote Originally Posted by MeganFernandez View Post
    I feel like Keys was trying to come forward last night. That was part of her comeback.

Anisimova just lost to Kontaveit after leading 4-2 in the third. She didn't play badly. Just couldn't close. What is Kontaveit's game? I heard her described as a basher recently, but I don't see that at all. There's no standout weapon. Is seh mainly a solid player, good mover, nice athlete, who plays smart tennis?
    And Kontaveit will not back down or be impressed with whoever her opponent is. I liked Kontaveit for the match because she will beat you at your own game if you don't have a Plan B.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

And Kontaveit will not back down or be impressed with whoever her opponent is. I liked Kontaveit for the match because she will beat you at your own game if you don't have a Plan B.

good call then! I really thought Anisimova was composed enough to close it. Just got a little tight, I guess. Kontaveit was just a little bolder and more focused at the end.
    Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Just don't confuse her with Wang Xinyu, also 17, f you can possibly help it. But yes, Xiyu is very good.
    Ben pointed on Twitter that there might eventually be four Wangs in the top 100. Qiang Wang is 17th. Yafan Wang is 58th. Xiyu Wang is 173rd. Xinyu Wang is 299th.

The last two mentioned are 17 year olds who have been talked about as having good potential. I'm happy for the Chinese tennis powers, who have worked hard, and for Li Na's influence. Mostly, I'm just in it for the obvious and immature jokes.

Wangs are on the rise!

Just don't confuse her with Wang Xinyu, also 17, f you can possibly help it. But yes, Xiyu is very good.
    Wang is like Zhang and Li in China, an incredibly common surname. And since it's China, that is hundreds of millions of people combined. Can't help the last name you have. I'm sure we'll adjust and be able to distinguish if they are anywhere near as good as they are expected to be.

Such a sad loss by Keys to Stosur, after fighting back from a set and a break (or two) and having a break in the third. Lost serve at 4-3, played a desultory game to go down 4-5, and hit three shots into the net to lose the match. She seems to have matches like this a lot. Is it choking? Confidence, obviously? Is it because she was told growing up that she would definitely win Slams, and it hasn't been as easy as she thought, and she had to see Sloane win one first? Or is it mostly injury-related - losing confidence by being out so many times with injuries?

I really hope she finds the right coach and exorcises some demons pretty soon.
    She's the Nishikori of the women's tour, and can't seem to stay healthy long enough to get into any consistent rhythm.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Rob Koenig
    ‏@RobKoenigTennis

SA’s @lloydharris63 gets a Luck Loser spot after the withdraw of Gael Monfils. @tsa
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Sabalenka needs a reset stat. She was "new" last year. This year everyone knows how to play her.

The same for Sakkari.
    Sakkari reminds me a lot of Mauresmo in that I look at her and I see she's clearly killing it in the gym and can stay out there all day, but she is not crushing the ball. I don't know how exactly you teach someone who works out so much how to hit a harder ball, but she needs the coach that can get that out of her. I assume that's possible, but I'm of the naturally strong group who cracks the ball without trying no matter the sport, so I never had to learn how to do that, but it seems like it should be possible with her.

For Sabalenka. Though some of the shine has certainly come off her, I'm not sure she needs to do much more than to find more margin on her shots. When she misses, she often misses by a mile. A few points here or there in her matches versus Kerber and Bencic, where she was in the winning position in both, and I don't know if she's considered figured out just yet.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567