Agree Agree:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2019

Below is the running order for the Grand Final. An observation: By the time the Big 5, Israel (host), and the SF 1 qualifiers had drawn their post for the Grand Final (1st half or 2nd half), there were hardly any spots left in the second half. So many of the good songs from SF 2 ended up drawing the 1st half of the Grand Final, including the favorite from The Netherlands:

First Half

1. Malta
    2. Albania
    3. Czech Republic
    4. Germany
    5. Russia
    6. Denmark
    7. San Marino
    8. North Macedonia
    9. Sweden
    10. Slovenia
    11. Cyprus
    12. Netherlands
    13. Greece

Second Half

14. Israel
    15. Norway
    16. United Kingdom
    17. Iceland
    18. Estonia
    19. Belarus
    20. Azerbaijan
    21. France
    22. Italy
    23. Serbia
    24. Switzerland
    25. Australia
    26. Spain

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meanwhile, for posterity's sake, here is my predicted top 5 (in order) going into the final. But this is still subject to change as I still have not heard a full performance of the Italian entry:

1. Netherlands
    2. Australia
    3. Sweden
    4. Italy
    5. Greece

To round out the top 10, I'm going with (in no particular order) the following. I may change my mind once I see the French performance live:

Russia
    Azerbaijan
    Switzerland
    Norway
    Iceland

I'll go along and make my own predictions sure to fail:

1. The Netherlands
    2. Switzerland
    3. Australia
    4. Russia
    5. Iceland
    6. Italy
    7. Sweden
    8. Azerbaijan
    9. Serbia
    10. Albania

And I'll throw in a prediction for last place: Germany.
    Go Pack Go!

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I know nothing about voting patterns or the jury’s tendencies, but here’s what I liked in the final:

North Macedonia
    Sweden
    Israel
    Norway
    UK
    Estonia
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Spain

Think I’d rank SUI & ESP 1&2.

I haven’t paid much attention to ESC since the year of The Braying Fiddler. Thought there were more acts like San Marino and Cyprus, and I’m not sure if I’m disappointed by that or not.

Kinda wish Australia’s singer had been the blonde in Iceland’s entry.

Came in at the end of Germany,don’t think I missed anything in that one. Think I am sorry I missed Czechia, based on the re-cap video

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The final results:

1. The Netherlands, 492
    2. Italy, 465
    3. Russia, 369
    4. Switzerland, 360
    5. Norway, 338
    6. Sweden, 332
    7. Azerbaijan, 297
    8. North Macedonia, 295
    9. Australia, 285
    10. Iceland, 234
    11. Czech Republic, 157
    12. Denmark, 120
    13. Slovenia, 105
    14. France, 105
    15. Cyprus, 101
    16. Malta, 95
    17. Serbia, 92
    18. Albania, 90
    19. Estonia, 86
    20. San Marino, 81
    21. Greece, 71
    22. Spain, 60
    23. Israel, 47
    24. Germany, 32
    25. Belarus, 31
    26. United Kingdom, 16

Sweden won the televote followed closely by North Macedonia. But neither did well with the televote, which was dominated by the The Netherlands, Italy, and Russia. Norway also had a huge televote score.

::

Side Note: I am absolutely THRILLED that North Macedonia did so well. I still say it was the best vocal of the entire competition. I can't find a link to the live performance. But here's the video.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

North Macedonia's voice was fine, but her song was immediately forgettable. I'm sure her vocals played into it, but mostly it was probably motivated by Macedonia's plight for its name?

I'm surprised Italy doing as well as it did. I like the song a lot, actually, but his performance (and shirt) were horrendous.

The medley of past performers singing each others songs hilariously was the best part of the show, IMHO.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    North Macedonia's voice was fine, but her song was immediately forgettable. I'm sure her vocals played into it, but mostly it was probably motivated by Macedonia's plight for its name?

I'm surprised Italy doing as well as it did. I like the song a lot, actually, but his performance (and shirt) were horrendous.

The medley of past performers singing each others songs hilariously was the best part of the show, IMHO.
    North Macedonia was #2 with the juries but WAY down with the televote, which explains how it fell from second to eighth.

About Mahmood, I honestly think he got sick of singing the song. Case in point: the drop after the Arabic lyric... He just plowed through it. In the video it was a brief, tender, vulnerable, and sad moment in the midst of 3 minutes of anger. But that moment disappeared. And if you thought that shirt was horrible, you should have seen what he wore in rehearsals.

The past performers medley was pretty awesome.

And if you want to talk about horrific... One word. Madonna--performing Like a Prayer. It was absolutely cringe-worthy. She wasn't just flat. She was several thousand feet below sea level.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Official results of the first semifinal:

1. Australia, 261 points
    2. Czech Republic, 242 points
    3. Iceland, 221 points
    4. Estonia, 198 points
    5. Greece, 185 points
    6. Slovenia, 167 points
    7. Serbia, 156 points
    8. San Marino, 150 points
    9. Cyprus, 149 points
    10. Belarus, 122 points

11. Poland, 120 points
    12. Hungary, 97 points
    13. Belgium, 70 points
    14. Georgia, 62 points
    15. Portugal, 51 points
    16. Montenegro, 46 points
    17. Finland, 23 points

So, the highest ranking song from SF 1 finished 9th overall and did not get beaten by any other songs from that SF.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Official results of the second SF:

1. The Netherlands, 280 points
    2. North Macedonia, 239 points
    3. Sweden, 238 points
    4. Switzerland, 232 points
    5. Azerbaijan, 224 points
    6. Russia, 217 points
    7. Norway, 210 points
    8. Malta, 157 points
    9. Albania, 96 points
    10. Denmark, 94 points

11. Lithuania, 93 points
    12. Moldova, 85 points
    13. Romania, 71 points
    14. Croatia, 64, points
    15. Latvia, 50 points
    16. Armenia, 49 points
    17. Austria, 21 points
    18.Ireland, 16 points

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    And if you want to talk about horrific... One word. Madonna--performing Like a Prayer. It was absolutely cringe-worthy. She wasn't just flat. She was several thousand feet below sea level.

I think she realized what a bad idea those stairs were and was genuinely terrified of falling. So that didn't help elevate it (see what I did there).

In case you don't watch Last Week Tonight regularly, make sure you Eurovision fans in particular watch this. It's about the Icelandic group in the competition. It's wild. LST only puts up their longer pieces, never any of the beginning stuff, so don't wait to watch this, it might be taken down at any time, lucky it's survived for a bit.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Oh, Hatari is awesome. There are several YouTube videos of them and their funniest moments. My favorite was during one of their press conferences. After every reporter's question, the blonde guy (representing the group) responded with some variation on the theme, "I don't believe I can answer that question because the answer would be too political," or "That is a very political question. I don't think I am allowed to answer it." Of course, none of the questions actually had anything to do with politics.

My other favorite moment from them was when they qualified from their semifinal. See 1:40-1:53.

But there was some controversy about them holding a Palestinian flag (this was held in Tel Aviv). But I never really dug into that to find out what happened. That put some folks off.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    But there was some controversy about them holding a Palestinian flag (this was held in Tel Aviv). But I never really dug into that to find out what happened. That put some folks off.
    When most countries' televote points are announced, their delegations are put on screen. Hatari were shown holding Palestinian flags when their points were announced. It actually wasn't the only incident of someone holding a Palestinian flag in the broadcast: one of Madonna's backing dancers did as well.
    Go Pack Go!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345